Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

OK to surf web while scanning PC with security software?

by Big Steve / August 30, 2010 5:58 PM PDT

For the last few years when it came time to scan my computer with my AV, SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes, etc. I would finish surfing the web, then before I started a scan I would check for updates on my software before I scanned my computer. I usually set my computer to scan at bedtime. The weather has been bad here tonight, lots of thunder has kept me from sleeping, no lightning otherwise I would not be on this computer right now so I wanted to know if I could scan my computer with my Avast, or my SuperAntispyware or my Malwarebytes software and continue surfing the web while I scanned? You can only scan with one security software at a time, correct? You can't scan your computer using all 3 at the same time can you?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: OK to surf web while scanning PC with security software?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: OK to surf web while scanning PC with security software?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's OK.
by Kees Bakker / August 30, 2010 6:04 PM PDT

But, of course, you must be a little bit paranoid to do a daily full scan with 3 programs. It won't harm at all to skip it one day.

Collapse -
Anti-virus versus malware
by Doh_1 / September 3, 2010 11:50 AM PDT

I have no problem scanning with Avira and Malwarebytes at the same time, and both look for malware. You can surf the internet at the same time, but it will be slower with one scanner running, and even slower with two.

So, you take your choice of how slow you want your computer to be when you're having fun on the internet. As another person said, it wouldn't hurt to not scan for a day or so *smile*...I only scan once a week unless I run into some malware, then I scan immediately. After all, you have real-time protection running all the time...

Collapse -
Virus/malware scans
by jmoran / September 3, 2010 12:25 PM PDT

I usually do what you do. After a furious night on the web I make sure my MalwareBytes software is updated and run a full scan and retire to bed. Also before my web rampage I make sure my Microsoft Security Essentials anti virus software is updated. I do not scan as I surf because I find things run ever so slightly slower.

Collapse -
Re: Virus/malware scans
by Big Steve / September 3, 2010 6:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Virus/malware scans

Thanks for your post.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.