Computer Help forum

General discussion

OK to Leave Computer on All the Time ??

by triplem555 / February 1, 2013 9:20 AM PST

I've heard pros & cons about leaving the computer on all the time. Some people swear by it & others always turn it off nightly. I know it's a mechanical piece of equiptment, but leaving it on 24-7 can't be good for longevity. Any suggestions ??

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: OK to Leave Computer on All the Time ??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: OK to Leave Computer on All the Time ??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well discussed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2013 9:27 AM PST
Collapse -
Reply to Well Discussed
by triplem555 / February 1, 2013 11:41 PM PST
In reply to: Well discussed.

Thanks for the reply. I read quite a lot of the replys, but they were all from 2004. I assume they still hold true in 2013. I have a Dell XPS, purchased last year. I used to open my old computer case all the time to add memory, blow out the dust, etc. In the Dell setup guide, it says "Warning: Only trained personel should remove the cover"
Haven't had the time to monkey with it yet, but I have had it over 6 mos now, and living in Arizona, everything gets pretty dusty anyway. With 2 other people using the computer at all times of the day and night, it tends to be on 24-7. I try to turn it off when I can. It doesn't seem to take that long to boot up. Anyway, thanks again for the reply & link to answers to my question.

Collapse -
There are only ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 1, 2013 2:38 PM PST

two answers to that question no matter how often it is asked. YES and NO and there are strong advocates for each so it is left to you to pick the answer YOU are most comfortable with.

I leave some of mine on and shut others down when not in use. I have one old NT 4 box that has not been shut down except for power problems during storms and its use extends back to when its dual 450 MHz processors were a top of the line workstation.

Collapse -
A few thoughts . . .
by Coryphaeus / February 1, 2013 9:38 PM PST

If you Google that, you'll get over 500 million hits.

My server (Levono tower running XP Pro) is on 24/7.

My main PC (Levono) is on only when I'm around to use it, off when I go to bed.

In short, there is no right or wrong answer.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.