Speakeasy

Question

Ok, something is weird, question is, is it Speakeasy

by Roger NC / October 6, 2013 10:13 AM PDT

for everyone, or something perverted on my computer?

I find it hard to believe it's been over 24 hours since anyone posted anything so I'm asking.

Am I know receiving new posts in SE?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ok, something is weird, question is, is it Speakeasy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ok, something is weird, question is, is it Speakeasy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
huh?
by James Denison / October 6, 2013 11:26 AM PDT

It is weekend. It is sunday. Everyone was at church? Wink

Collapse -
all day?
by Roger NC / October 6, 2013 12:36 PM PDT
In reply to: huh?

but ok, its just a quiet day.

It just seemed a bit incredulous to be over 24 hours with no post, news, comment, criticism, whatever.

Glad everyone was having too much fun to waste time here.

Collapse -
(NT) Bite your tongue!
by drpruner / October 7, 2013 7:08 AM PDT
In reply to: huh?
Collapse -
Answer
same here Roger
by Glenda. / October 6, 2013 12:14 PM PDT

Hey James not everyone in SE goes to church, LOL

Collapse -
(NT) and no everyone worships on Sunday
by Roger NC / October 6, 2013 12:40 PM PDT
In reply to: same here Roger
Collapse -
Answer
I think everyone
by TONI H / October 6, 2013 8:20 PM PDT

just needed a break from what is mostly 'in your face' politics. While I normally have the cable news show on all day on one tv (turned low or muted) so I can catch highlights and alerts and watch 'normal' tv on another or read or work outside, etc., I refused to turn either on yesterday. The bombardment of garbage talk was giving me an 'ice cream freeze' pain in my brain so I had to get off the ice cream yesterday. Sometimes no news really is just plain good news, even if you have to force that on yourself by saying "today I just don't care".

Strange, though, that everyone here ducked into our rabbit holes at the same time...heheheheh

Collapse -
personally
by James Denison / October 6, 2013 10:55 PM PDT
In reply to: I think everyone

I got so sick of seeing Obama pop up on TV all this week I didn't want to see or hear another word about him which I could reasonably and easily avoid.

Collapse -
Answer
Sometimes it's OK
by itsdigger / October 6, 2013 8:35 PM PDT

to take a break from all of the stabbing, sneering and finger pointing. Wake up once in awhile and just say G'mornin' and enjoy the day

Collapse -
Answer
It's happened before...maybe an informal armistice
by Steven Haninger / October 6, 2013 8:47 PM PDT

People need a chance to revel in their victories, lick their wounds and plan their strategies for the next assault. For some, it may also be that a change of seasons also changes ones priorities.

Collapse -
four feet of snow in Wyoming
by James Denison / October 6, 2013 10:56 PM PDT

and an earthquake too.

Collapse -
The more attention we give these people in Washington,
by Steven Haninger / October 7, 2013 12:28 AM PDT

the more they eat it up and ask for more. I'll just treat them like we did our kids when they'd throw a tantrum. Let 'em go their rooms, scream their lungs out, and come back to join us when they want to be part of the family again.

Collapse -
Let's not forget
by itsdigger / October 7, 2013 12:36 AM PDT

That group of Chinese tourist's that are stranded in Casper Wyoming that wanted to go to Yellowstone but can't because it's closed. Mischief

Collapse -
(NT) Did someone move it?
by James Denison / October 7, 2013 1:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Let's not forget
Collapse -
lol
by itsdigger / October 7, 2013 1:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Did someone move it?

government shutdown. Parks Closed

Collapse -
NC Blue Ridge parkway
by Roger NC / October 7, 2013 1:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Let's not forget

The parkway itself is open, but an inn privately operated, forced to close.

It is a leased federal building and land.

They could pay rangers to blockade the entrances to prevent anyone from entering, but the privately paid employees couldn't do their job and run the end because it is classified as a federally owned facility ran by concession.

Collapse -
forgot the link
by Roger NC / October 7, 2013 1:56 AM PDT
In reply to: NC Blue Ridge parkway
Collapse -
There is a gated community
by TONI H / October 7, 2013 3:42 AM PDT
In reply to: NC Blue Ridge parkway

in Nevada....all privately owned homes....on government land that none of the home-owners can get to because it's also closed. They are living right now with friends, family, and in motels. REID'S home state and he refuses to do anything but make their lives more miserable in order to make an unnecessary point in his crappy 'blame the Republicans' mentality.

Collapse -
how do you end up building a home on government land
by Roger NC / October 7, 2013 3:57 AM PDT

I've know business to build on 99 year leased land. That seems odd enough.

But it seems really odd to build a home on someone else, even government, land. My paranoia would never allow that, government or private.

Collapse -
they were crazy
by James Denison / October 7, 2013 9:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Lake Mead homeowners

to buy into something like that. I wonder if all the ranches which use federal land for cattle grazing will be ordered to remove their cows off federal property? This excessive ownership of property in western states is a continuing problem for that area. If there ever is a breakup of the US, you can believe those states will take over ownership of those areas, and the gain produced from them instead of having their natural resources sucked out by federal govt.

Collapse -
Answer
In view of the drift to sequestration comments,
by drpruner / October 7, 2013 7:15 AM PDT

I have this:
I just read the book Island of Hope, Island of Tears. It's a collection of oral histories of many who came through Ellis Island in the 30 or so years it operated. Most came looking for a better government. Looking at the names and faces of the elected officials whose bi-partisan dysfunction has brought about Yosemite's and other closures, it's clear that many of them are only a generation or so removed from Ellis. Ellis is now a museum, run by the National Park Service.
It's closed, of course.

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) Everyone was trying to log in to sign up for Obamacare.
by volvogirl / October 7, 2013 3:52 PM PDT
Collapse -
My hunch is most here are not within the age range
by Steven Haninger / October 7, 2013 6:34 PM PDT

where Obamacare is a personal worry but that doesn't mean some here wouldn't attempt a DOS attack on the site. Devil

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.