Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

ok paint,word pad and all other games GONE! setup.dll miss

by Native_Texan / January 8, 2005 1:13 PM PST

I am trying to re load them from add & remove windows component. it doesnt work. so went on search and found where i could download calculator. I tried it and it said setup.dll file missing. so it wouldnt work.
so basically all windows xp games as listed under programs are empty. and so are some of the accessories
so far only able to find paint and word pad on search thru files and folders. I tried re loading from xp disc, that didnt work either. (from valueadd folder)

any clues here for setup dll missing?? or other
thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ok paint,word pad and all other games GONE! setup.dll miss
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ok paint,word pad and all other games GONE! setup.dll miss
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
i find setup.dll on a search on my pc...
by Native_Texan / January 8, 2005 1:27 PM PST

so why does it say it is missing?

i am merely trying to load paint,word pad, all games solitaire,minesweeper etc... my pc crashed and those areas are empty.. for the most part. weird.
xp hm,200gbhdd,pc3000,ram1gb,nvidia 5700u
thanks

Collapse -
Hard Drive
by Merl Priester / January 8, 2005 3:34 PM PST

This sounds like a HD failure. Usually Windows goes with it. If you have any data to save do so now.

Then do thorough check on the drive. Even if it passes tests, don't trust it for a while after reinstalling.
I personally would toss a drive before trusting it after that.

Collapse -
I cannot view the calculator, paint or WordPad
by McClendR / August 22, 2007 3:40 AM PDT

I am not able to view calculator, paint or WordPad in an XP environment. If I type in WordPad in the "run" command, I will get the application; otherwise, I do not see it in the Programs.

Collapse -
Re: I cannot view the calculator, paint or WordPad
by Tufenuf / August 22, 2007 5:05 AM PDT

McClendR, They should be listed under Start>Programs>Accessories.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / January 8, 2005 9:39 PM PST
Collapse -
I thought I ran SFC when I right clicked C drive
by Native_Texan / January 8, 2005 10:33 PM PST
In reply to: RE:

selected properties and tools. then selected error checking. is that the same thing as SFC? Error checking took 2 hrs and then it did not tell me anything of which it found. so really dont know what it accomplished. I am not sure of my user profile will have to do some more reading on that. (new to me)
restore did not work.
200ghdd,xphome,pc3000,1 gb ram,nvidia graphics 5700u
dont know how to test harddrive.
should I run the IEfix if i am not having ie issues?
it says it may fix windows missing files. will it hurt to try it? thanks

Collapse -
This won't help your
by roddy32 / January 8, 2005 10:46 PM PST

problem but if you want to see what chkdsk found you can view it here. In XP, open the Control Panel, double click on "Adminstrative Tools", double click on the "Event Viewer" icon, then click on "Application". In the "Source" column, look for the "Winlogon" item. Double click it and you should see the results of your Chkdsk.

Collapse -
thanks for the tip
by Native_Texan / January 8, 2005 10:58 PM PST
In reply to: This won't help your

I had no idea on where to find that report.
was that chdisk also SFC?
or is SFC another tool to run?

Collapse -
was that chdisk also SFC?
by glb613 / January 8, 2005 11:03 PM PST
In reply to: thanks for the tip

Try this. Go to start, run and type in SFC /scannow. There is a space between SFC and the /. Have your Windows XP CD handy in case it is needed to replace files.

Collapse -
Try Restore.. then if not, try reinstalling XP
by bbguntx / January 8, 2005 11:13 PM PST

I had the same problem before and tried restore, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't(Mounds or Almond Joy). If restore doesn't work, win xp has a repair option, but you have to be careful. You can end up with 2 win xp OS on your HD. Put in your XP CD and let autorun happen. (I am recalling from memory). Tell it to install win xp. it will run thru some stuff and then ask you if you want to repair modify install...choose install (you will be repairing but the first time it asks it will take you to the cmd prompt and ask for your backup disk. You don't want to do that, so tell it to install. Then it will ask again in a few minutes if you want to install or repair. This time choose repair, it appears that it is installing win xp like the first time, but don't fret it's not. Let it run all the way thru and it should replace the missing files. That's it, after numerous reboots like always with windows, you should be fine. Good Luck!

Collapse -
Re: ok paint,word pad and all other games GONE!
by Cetin Denislam / January 9, 2005 3:48 AM PST

Regarding the inability to use the Accessibility and Games entries using Add/Remove Windows Components.

Goto Add and Remove section read about sysocc.inf entries. In particular, check if the two entries:

Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,,7
AccessUtil=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,accessor.inf,,7

don't have the HIDE option before ,7. In other words,the 2 lines should look as above.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
ok so far.. the games are back, but not word pad,paint etc..
by Native_Texan / January 12, 2005 5:43 AM PST

I did first get the games to go on by add and remove components finally when everything else was unchecked.
it ask me for disk and then it put all games back on.
so what is weird is I also have checked the accessories box for calculator,word, paint etc.. but for some reason they are not re installing. even though it is selected. so then i go back to add and remove and uncheck games(since they are loaded now) and only leave accessories checked.. hoping this will ask for disk and I can load them again or try to.
however at this point the operation takes place and removes all the games. and now again the games are missing. I keep repeating the steps... same thing happens. p.s. however the little sysocc fix above did allow me to see word pad which previously was not showing up on the accessories list. now if i can only figure out how to add these back to the accessories in the start, programs,accessories area.( since add and remove windows components is not working) the files are showing up visible and says it is a total of 3.2 mb for accessories

what is really weird is that also I was able to search for word and paint and found the applications. I then right clicked on them and sent them to desktop. so i am currently able to use those 2 programs in this work around way. but no others turn up in search, such as calculator or others.. If I search for paint and word again and right click them, should I send them to programs? to get them somewhere other than just my desktop as icon?

thanks for all the help
Happy

Collapse -
Re: but not word pad,paint etc..
by Cetin Denislam / January 13, 2005 1:40 AM PST

So, Games are now installed.

For the rest:

1. Wordpad - copy the desktop shortcut to the following folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories

2. Paint - copy the desktop shortcut to same folder as above, e.g.

3. Calculator, just copy calc.exe file from another windows XP PC to c:\windows\System32 folder.

Create a shorctut and copy to the same folder, e.g.

Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
ok got it ,I think, & thanks :-)
by Native_Texan / January 13, 2005 5:13 AM PST

I was able to right click the icon and click copy & nothing would happen. so I looked at the target of each and went and found them and copied like that.
word was in program files Windows NT, and paint was in windows system32.. I selected and hit copy from each area to the path you mentioned and bingo, it worked like a charm! I quickly made a restore point. what is Windows NT ?

note sure why they are in different areas, maybe suppose to be that way. now i will try to find calculator and do that fix as well.

can you explain the difference if there is one between right click c drive,properties and then selecting error checking. how does that compare to scannow from cmd prompt? are they the same test or 2 totally different procedures???

thanks so much for your help again

Collapse -
OK it's solved, thread closed ?
by Cetin Denislam / January 13, 2005 7:02 PM PST

Why did the designer put those in different folders (including NT). It was his decision so, it doesn't matter for us. What it matters it's those to be in their original (as designed) folder as you've already saw with your own eyes and confirmed with your own words.

how does that compare to scannow from cmd prompt? are they the same test or 2 totally different procedures???

The answer is so easy so no one couldn't answer ;-).

Error Checking and Sfc are two different procedures. For this kind of question, you open Help and Support and type the above bolded parts. For sfc, it doesn't show local results. You'll need to click the link at the bottom that'll show 15 MSKB articles regarding sfc.

You are welcome and *Good Luck*,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Missing DLL's
by aeroman10 / January 9, 2005 6:05 AM PST

For missing DLL's I would first try running the System File Checker..To do that go to Start > Run > sfc /scannow > click OK
You will need your OS cd for that

If you want, you can also try to download the missing files at http://dll.webzila.com

Collapse -
could you explain then if sfc is thru start,run,cmd prompt
by Native_Texan / January 12, 2005 11:17 AM PST
In reply to: Missing DLL's

if that is how you run system file checker....

then what exactly is error checking when you rt click the c drive and select tools and go from there?

Please, are these the same test? or 2 totally different test? I am confused on this

I already ran error checking by rt clicking.... etc..

have not done sfc scannow unless those 2 are the same test.
thanks again

Collapse -
Just wondering.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2005 11:19 AM PST

In reading a few posts strewn across the forums, what happened to your machine?

Bob

Collapse -
You hit the Nail on the head, Bob
by Native_Texan / January 12, 2005 1:20 PM PST
In reply to: Just wondering.

I have built my first pc with help from brother.
had nothing but troubles..... I have about 4 or 5 spiral's of errors going to today.
alot of folks talk way past my knowledge.
those are almost tossed, time factor.. i try to do what right. I have to work another 16 hr shift in am.

will get back to you asap.. but in mean time what best explains this is my other post " computer crashed and then " or something like that.

my brother say's i tried to install to many dvd players, etc.... I only installed what was with program meaning cdrom came with poweredvd

and then dvdrom/dvdrw came with nero
i think intel came with there own stuff
and xp came with there stuff
mad dog etc
nvidia graphics came with their own player nvdvd
deleting nero file is what lead to my original post , i will have to follow this up on Fri or this weekend,
i can send you more info
thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.