Speakeasy

Rant

OK, I'm irrational

by Roger NC / November 23, 2012 7:43 AM PST

I know that is just the way it is but it still ticked me off a little this afternoon.

I had to go to the pharmacy, so I decided while I was out I'd make the jump to smart phone finally. I was looking for a Samsung S3 32gb blue phone.

Well USCellular outlet nearest drug store didn't have that one, so I detoured a few miles on the way home to go by then next nearest. (Actually I just drove by home and went to it and walmart, only about 25 miles roundtrip.)

They didn't have one either. Came home, made a few phone calls then went online. Near as I can determine, I can get a white or blue 16gb phone or a white 32gb. To get the blue 32gb I'd have to change carriers. Not something I want to do. While USCellular may be 5th or6th, maybe further down the line, nationally, it seems to be the best at home and work and almost everywhere around here.

I've used USCellular for about 15 years now, from NC to NH on the east coast, and in Texas, Oregon, Arizona, Nevada and California. Often in the western areas we were travelling with my wife's sibling or visiting her aunts, cousins, etc. We seem to have as good luck with USCellular coverage as any of those around us. That's using a national plan.

Anyway, a quick web browsing makes it look like you have to go Verizon to get the 32gb blue phone. Not worth that much trouble and some people at work on Verizon don't seem to have quite as good reception as I do.

I've been dithering about going with a smart phone for a couple of months. Probably not worth the $50 a month for data and tethering it would cost me. To be practical, I'll probably have even less use than before my wife died, since I don't see me travelling very much alone and if I am traveling alone I can't use it while driving anyway. We were discussing getting her a smartphone and data/internet plan before she got ill.When we were travelling, she could look up anything we wanted to while I was driving, or vice versa. We even discusssed just paying for a cellular modem and using the laptop for the same thing.

I probably don't need the 32gb even if I use a smart phone and internet access some because I doubt I'll ever be trying to run every app you can download like some. And the color of the phone can't be that important anyway. I dont really care except I have an unreasonable dislike of the white. I wouldn't care if it was blue, red, wine, black, etc., although I don't like too violently bright colors.

I just hate the white. A bit ironic, since I when were looking at houses a few years ago I got amused at my wife's reaction to white kitchens, more common than I would have thought. I didn't care about the kitchen color, so why does the phone bother me.\

So you can call me crazy, because I may not make the jump just because of the unavailability of non-white, 32gb, US Cellular S3 phone.

I do really really dislke the white.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: OK, I'm irrational
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: OK, I'm irrational
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wait, there's bound to be some color elsewhere
by Willy / November 23, 2012 8:05 AM PST
In reply to: OK, I'm irrational

Can't put a jacket or cover on it? ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
Probably so, just got one of those irrational fits
by Roger NC / November 23, 2012 8:50 AM PST

deal with it later.

Collapse -
and it wouldn't cover than white top and bottom border
by Roger NC / November 23, 2012 8:52 AM PST

on the face which is what bothers me more than the back.

Collapse -
Stay the irrational and therefore very human person you are
by Ziks511 / November 23, 2012 2:26 PM PST

Roger. The company makes blue, the provider can get you a 32 Gb, even if they have to order it. There's no reason they can't provide it, and you shouldn't have your choice. If you're firm enough, you'll get what you want.

Rob

Collapse -
Not necessarily
by Roger NC / November 23, 2012 9:57 PM PST

the phone manufacturers make deals with the carriers.

Sometimes they even slightly alter basic the same phone to allow different carriers to advertise they are the only ones you can get so and so. The carriers pay for this, then the subscribers do of course.

Just like when you could only get te iPhone with one carrier, AT&T I think, I'm not sure. Well that was slightly different since it was a deal between Apple and the carrier probably involving part of the monthly fees for a set peroid getting kicked back to Apple

It's a bit like mattresses, it's impossible to compare them since the same product has a different model number depending on who is selling it and normally just a small, probably cosmetic only, difference.

That's why you see the term "unlocked phones" that's phones not set up to work with only one carrier, and much higher price than the comparable model from the carrier. Of course to get that price with the carrier you have to sign a two year contract with an earlier cancellation penality. Regarding that I'm curious as to how long US Cellular will have this belief plan, you sign up for a 2 year contract one more time and supposely never again. There is a time peroid thought between eligibility fo the discounted phones.

US Cellular does not sell the 32 gb blue phone, I searched online also. I did read somewhere Samsung actually makes a 64gb internal model but I haven't seen it for sell.

Oh well, the phone has a micro SD slot that recognizes up to 64gb card and I don't plan to collect every ring tone and MP3 available on it. It's probably a none issue, it was just one of those things that get you dander up for no good reason.

Collapse -
RE: I may not make the jump just because
by JP Bill / November 24, 2012 3:15 AM PST
In reply to: OK, I'm irrational

I may not make the jump just because of the unavailability of non-white,

The End Of The Smartphone Era Is Coming

Forget the "smartphone", no matter the colour, unless you're willing to be behind the times like me, my cellphone doesn't even have a camera.

Collapse -
talking about distracted driving!!
by Roger NC / November 24, 2012 8:38 AM PST

Heck, even distracted walking, can you imagine a crowded sidewalk with half the people looking through a headsup display?

There was a commercial years ago, so guy sitting on a bench talking and yelling at pigions from the back view. Then you find out he's watching a virtual reality tickertape and doing all that cheering.

Oh wait, that was before the last crash, he'd have jumped off a bridge wearing those glasses on one of the early bad days.

Think it was IBM commercial maybe, don't know what they were actually pushing since there was nothing like that on the market back, at least not that I ever saw advertised or reviewed.

STNG fans will see the danger, those gaming glasses took over the Enterprize.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.