Office & Productivity Software forum

Offline calculator for iPad?

by dodgernine / June 11, 2013 2:47 AM PDT

Help! I need to run a series of price calculators OFFLINE and be able Save As on iPads... Below is a list of what I need to be able to do with the calculators. I know Excel is the perfect program but is there a way on an iPad? Any ideas on the best solution??

-Select from lists (Numbers and the Excel web app do not support data validations, and by lists, I mean long lists so Numbers' pop-up menu won't work)
-Enter information such as quantities and discounts
-Run lookup or index functions, meaning find cost in tables based on selections from lists (Not that I know JavaScript YET but could it do this in a PDF form?)
-Run basic math functions such as add, multiply, subtract discounts, etc.
-Save As the completed form (which Google Docs, Dropbox, SkyDrive, etc. all seem to have issues with)

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Offline calculator for iPad?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Offline calculator for iPad?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Save As WHAT?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2013 2:51 AM PDT

I see you wrote something about a FORM but what is the format of this file you want to save? I don't see any issue if we use Numbers and save as a new Numbers spreadsheet but I would be guessing that you want to create some other type document.

Collapse -
Re: Save As WHAT?
by dodgernine / June 11, 2013 4:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Save As WHAT?

Sorry to confuse. I just meant "Save As" versus "Save" as using Google Drive auto saves changes to the original file. I am not familiar with using Numbers on an iPad and didn't know if it allowed you to "Save As" to the device or a cloud service. I would want to stick with the same format as changes might need to be made at a later date.

But is there any way to work around Numbers' drop-down list needing to be manually entered? Excel's data validation allows you to source a list from your workbook, ex: A1:A50. In Numbers, if I needed a drop-down of 50 items, I would need to type each one-by-one; then I would also need to enter them in a table to lookup or index the prices from. If any changes needed to be made, they would have to be done twice and any inconsistency would cause errors....

Collapse -
Then there is no such thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2013 1:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Save As WHAT?

All I have is your post to figure out the "specification" of the app you want. As the specification has conflicts such as "using Google Drive" and "Offline" this means that before a programmer can create your apps, they'll have to work with you to get your specifications corrected.

If I guess what you want, it sounds like a custom app and Excel would fail in the field for the usual reasons.

If you think that Excel is the answer then look again at those Windows 8 RT pads.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: calculator
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 12, 2013 7:38 PM PDT

How about using a Windows tablet in stead of an iOS-tablet?

Excel 2013 runs on Windows 8 Pro. Excel RT runs on Windows RT, but I don't know if it offers all you need.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.