Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Office XP overwhelming... Default Margins question

by addajio / September 27, 2010 4:47 PM PDT

First off, my Default Margins are:

Top 1" Bottom 1"
Left 1:25" Right 1.25"

...from the "Page Setup" Menu

But when I try to paste into a new doc [right click>New>Microsoft Word Document]the margins, and other settings, I'm sure, can be way off. I finally realized that when I open a new doc, these settings reflect the last saved document's settings, even tho the default settings are as above. This makes for a mess sometimes when trying to paste forms, etc that rely on default settings/spacings. Office XP is too complex for me, but I'm hoping someone knows where/if there is a setting to over-ride and ALWAYS open a new doc with ALL default settings, as if in a new install.
Thanks - addajio

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Office XP overwhelming... Default Margins question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Office XP overwhelming... Default Margins question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Where are you pasting from?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 27, 2010 8:30 PM PDT

You mentioned, "right click > New > Microsoft Word Document", but right click from where?

I've used Office XP for some years and I can't recall this being a major problem. I have occasionally come across a print margin problem where Office has popped up a warning, prior to printing, that the print margins may differ from default, and I have always been able to work around the problem and, if necessary, adjust my page.

Print Preview is a great option for previewing what the printed page will look at, and there is a Print Preview icon on the Toolbar.

Collapse -
to MarkFlax
by addajio / September 27, 2010 10:04 PM PDT

"You mentioned, "right click > New > Microsoft Word Document", but right click from where?"

...answer: anywhere on the desktop.

...I don't understand your question, I'm not "pasting from" "right click > New > Microsoft Word Document", that is how you open a new doc: "right click > New > Microsoft Word Document" anywhere on the desktop. It was in brackets to serve as an explanation of how to open a doc in this situation.

"Where are you pasting from?"

...I wrote: "This makes for a mess sometimes when trying to paste forms, etc" which I think clearly states WHAT I am pasting, but the pasting is irrelevant to MY question.

The "problem" [and again, the post wasn't about if it was a problem]
is, say you want to paste a form, an invoice, into a blank doc whose space is smaller than the invoice itself, which can happen if the last doc you saved is NOT at default or larger margin settings. You then cannot read the entire invoice. I don't want to resize each time I need to do such a paste, thus: "I'm hoping someone knows where/if there is a setting to over-ride and ALWAYS force a new doc to open with ALL default settings"...that was the question I posted.

There are many Menu commands, and I'm posting for someone who knows
and understands most/all of them. It seems there should be one to force defaults [which I listed at the start of this thread]...otherwise, what are defaults for?
Sorry for the confusion.

Collapse -
Pasting From, is not irrelevant.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 27, 2010 10:22 PM PDT
In reply to: to MarkFlax

Thanks for the explanation of the right click action. It's one I have never used myself, I just open Word from my Desktop shortcut.

You say that what you are pasting is irrelevant, but I have to disagree. For example, if you have copied a web page form and attempt to paste this into a new Word document, Word will do it's best to format the data as it appears in the web page. But it will often fail because formatting in a web page is entirely different to formatting in Word.

And the same applies wherever you copy/paste from. You can only guarantee success with formatting if you copy/paste from one Word document to another Word document, and even then it is preferable that the two Words are the same version; for example Office 2007's Word 2007 introduced entirely new formatting commands that earlier versions of Word cannot cope with.

So, where are you pasting from? Very relevant.

Collapse -
for me, the orig question is the focus of the post
by addajio / September 27, 2010 11:16 PM PDT you know "where/if there is a setting to over-ride and ALWAYS open a new doc with ALL default settings, as if in a new install".

It doesn't matter where/what I'm trying to paste, [you decide...use your imagination] if it doesn't fit. I get it...different sources paste differently, but thats talking about a symptom and not the cause. I need to force a new doc to open with default settings...I AM the OP and that IS the question.

Thanks for your interest.

Collapse -
Good luck.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 28, 2010 6:17 AM PDT

I have tried to explain the problems, but it seems that isn't sufficient, so good luck with your search for other answers.

One thing you could try. All Word documents use data from the file "" to set up it's formatting. is a template file and it may be that your file has been changed. it happens sometimes. With Word closed, if you search for yours on your computer and delete it, then the next time you open Word it will create a new, default, file.

Collapse -
As Mark said ...
by Kees Bakker / September 28, 2010 6:22 AM PDT

a new document will always open with the settings (margins, font, headings etc) defined in your There's nothing else the program has at hand if you start it from a shortcut and it creates an empty Document1.doc. That's easy to try. It would be most uncommon if it's otherwise.

Collapse -
I'll try that...
by addajio / September 28, 2010 7:12 AM PDT
In reply to: As Mark said ...

...thanks Mark and Kees, I'll try that, but I would suspect the issue will return with subsequent doc saves, as this has always been the case...thus my need to "force" a new doc to open using the defaults - but what doesn't make sense to me is why is there a default setting [as I atarted the thread] with for margin parameters, if the program is NOT going to USE them?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.