Office & Productivity Software forum

Resolved Question

office 2010 disk install

by dr.gj / May 23, 2012 5:21 AM PDT

new toshiba portege r835, WIN7 64

the laptop came with a master image (supposedly has 3 suites) of office 2010 and 2010-starter. i am purchasing the box version (disc) of 2010 home-business and want to install that instead of activating the pre-installed with a product-key.

question- do i need to UN-insalla ny existing versions before starting installation from disc?

could not get a clear answer from toshiba or ms

dr.gj has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: office 2010 disk install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: office 2010 disk install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by dr.gj

Collapse -
Re: office
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 23, 2012 6:36 AM PDT

Yes, it's a very good idea to uninstall Starter before installing the Home Business version.

Kees

Collapse -
what about the the other image
by dr.gj / May 23, 2012 10:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: office

ok thanks...what about the multi-version, un-activated image?

Collapse -
Same answer
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 23, 2012 10:22 PM PDT

It's unusual to have an OEM system that comes with both Office 2010 Starter and Office Suite pre-installed, but as with Office Starter, if there is anything unusual about this Office Suite that you don't like, uninstall it before installing your retail version of Office Home Business. I would also reboot the system after the uninstall.

You don't say what it is about that pre-installed Office Suite install that you don't like. If it has everything you need, I wonder why you had to purchase the retail Home and Business suite.

Mark

Collapse -
details on pre-installed
by dr.gj / May 24, 2012 1:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Same answer

it is not functional yet, for now there is only an "image" (on a hidden, locked partition) which can be activated with a product key. only the started is functional.

there was some buzz in one of the articles that the pre-installed versions is "click-to-run" and they need to connect back to MS site often to get some data (is this true?) and a new disk install is better

i have done quite a bit of search on MS sites - they say i can can activate the pre-installed with a boxed product but don't say anything about un-installing...may be that is not needed.

Collapse -
Hmm. Are you sure about that
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 24, 2012 5:32 AM PDT

As soon as you mentioned "hidden, locked partition", it made me wonder.

Is that partition there to enable you to return the system to factory state if you ever needed to? For example, if the Operating System became so corrupt it was unrepairable, then you use that partition to set the system back to when you brought it.

If so, then I am guessing that the partition only holds the recovery data for Office 2010 Starter edition.

It would be pointless otherwise as the data on that partition cannot be accessed except during a "reset to factory condition".

Mark

Collapse -
partitions
by dr.gj / May 24, 2012 8:18 AM PDT

no, the recovery partition is different and marked as "..., primary. .recovery, 15.34GB"

the office partition is marked... " locked, office 2010 click-to-run (Q)"

Collapse -
A couple of links for you
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 24, 2012 8:23 AM PDT
In reply to: partitions
Collapse -
thanks
by dr.gj / May 24, 2012 1:07 PM PDT

this helpful

Collapse -
No buzz. FACT?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2012 6:05 AM PDT

Almost all software today must call home for activation and updates.

I don't see why a new disk install would be better but let me single out ONE KNOWN THING. If I own the full Office CD I've learned to uninstall any starter version before I install my licensed version from CD!

It is likely why I never have issues like you read in these forums.
Bob

Collapse -
calling home
by dr.gj / May 24, 2012 8:28 AM PDT
In reply to: No buzz. FACT?

yes...i understand the one-time call for activation and calls for updates.

the question is-- does part of the software reside back home and the call back is not for above two reasons?

and...i am not asking about un-installing "starter" but the full un-activated, multi-suite image.

in the control panel i have 3 entries on office 2010:

1. office 2010 starter
2. office 2010
3. office 2010 click-to-run

un-installing starter is the right call..what about the other two?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.