Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Office 2007 installer runs everytime a doc is opened

by metafizx / June 3, 2009 4:02 AM PDT

Strange, installed Office 2007 Home and Student version on Vista today and everytime a document is opened,
the Office installer runs. It does open after about 15-20 seconds. This was a new Dell laptop.

the installer dialog box that appears is:
"please wait while windows configures microsoft office and student 2007"

This happens whenever I tried to open any Office document (.doc, .xls, or .ppt). Also occurred from just launching Office via shortcuts from the desktop or from the start menu.

I tried applying all updates (Office SP2 and compatibility updates), also made sure all components of Office were installed to run from computer.

Also tried uninstalling/rebooting/reinstalling. But the same problem happens. I have a suspicion that it is a registry problem that still exists from the first install. Uninstalling it doesn't solve the problem, because it leaves the problem still in the registry ??

This same disk was used to install on a different Vista PC last year and it worked fine. wondering if the new changes to UAC might have caused the problem. This was pre-SP1 I believe, however the new laptop with the problem, might be SP2 (which was just released).

Here's a really weird clue. I did read on another forum about the shortcuts having an issue, didn't believe it initially.
So I deleted the Office program shortcuts from the desktop, and then made new shortcuts directly from the executables in the program files directory. And now Office programs launch ok ! BUT the problem still exists if I try to click on an existing document.
Also tried a newly created document, but the problem still exists.

Hope there is some fix...

thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Office 2007 installer runs everytime a doc is opened
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Office 2007 installer runs everytime a doc is opened
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just fixed one like that on Vista.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2009 4:05 AM PDT

In Vista I had to turn off UAC for a moment. Now I log in as that one user (nobody else logged in) and run up Word and let it finish the installer.

Next time, no installer (at least here.) Then back to UAC to turn it back on.
Bob

PS. Yes I bet there are other ways but this was what I used last month.
PPS. And yes, OTHER PROTECTION SOFTWARE may be blocking the installer but that's up to you to kill off for a moment.

Collapse -
thanks!
by metafizx / June 3, 2009 6:49 PM PDT

thanks, I will try this..

Collapse -
This worked for me!
by justinilla / November 26, 2009 4:09 PM PST

Okay, I found a solution to stop the installer pop-up everytime you open Microsost Office 2007 Excel, Word, and Powerpoint on my Vista OS (for some reason this did not work for Outlook). This will allow you to double-click to open files and use any shortcuts without the installer popping up. This may not work for everyone as it seems there are different versions of this same problem. It has to do with changing the permissions in the registry for the file which event viewer says does not exist. You will also need to add the administrator(you) as an owner of the file first before changing permissions. It requires editing the registry, but if you back up the registry beforehand you don't have too much to worry about. (Note: Sorry if some instructions are basic (and lengthy) to you, just thought I'd give people without much experience a chance to understand the steps)

Step 1: Check your event viewer (search "eventvwr" in start menu search, run the program, go to the left hand window>Windows Logs>Application) to see what the event ID (4th column) of your problems are when you try to run office and the installer pops up. The Source (3rd column) should say MsiInstaller and the Level (1st column) should be "warning". There should be two "warnings" that happened in the same second:

1. Detection of product '{91120000-0030-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}', feature 'ProductFiles', component '{6252B847-BADA-43D4-9252-E39767FA40A1}' failed. The resource 'HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pip\' does not exist.
2. Detection of product '{91120000-0030-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}', feature 'WORDFiles' failed during request for component '{0638C49D-BB8B-4CD1-B191-051E8F325736

Check to make sure these are your two warnings. The event ID's should be 1004 and 1001. This solution will probably only work for those who get these two warnings in event viewer.

Step 2: Now you know you have a problem Microsoft acknowledges and offers support for. Cool So, step 2 is to follow their directions. I suggest you go to their support article and follow the directions as closely as possible, it will be the second solution which is for the event IDs 1004, 1001, and 1000... NOT 1015. Once you get to the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pip" part you will encounter a problem. It tells you "an error is preventing this key from being opened." Go to the support site (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911682), follow the directions as best you can and return here to step 3 when you get to that point.

Step 3: Okay, when you click on the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pip registry value to change permissions as Microsoft suggest, a box pops up saying "an error is preventing this key from being opened." However, the registry key will stay selected, so go to edit>permissions. A popup will say "You do not have permission to view the current permission settings for .pip, but you can make permission changes." > Click Ok

Step 4: Add youself(administrator) as an owner, Click Advanced, it will say the same thing as above, click OK, go to the "Owner" tab (3rd tab)> select "Administrators (...)" under "Change owner to:" > Click apply > Click OK

Step 5: Now to add permissions, Click add> type "administrator" (make sure it is spelled correctly)> Click "check names"> Click OK> Check "full control" under "allow"> Click apply> Click OK

Step 6: The registry key now has the correct permissions that the support page suggested you should change them to. Personally, I tried to start up my office programs after this step becuase that is the only file that i didn't already have permissions for when I followed Microsoft's directions. It worked! All except Outlook opened without the msi installer.

Really hope this helps some people get this problem solved. It is such a frustrating one to have! I'm sure this solution has some relevance to Outlook as well, but I couldn't get it to work. I know the directions are a little confusing and lengthy so if you have any questions about the directions I posted, ask and hopefully I can help!

Collapse -
Instructions for Windows XP
by marina_wms / December 27, 2010 8:46 AM PST
In reply to: This worked for me!

Do you have these instructions for XP?

Collapse -
I thinjk it's the same.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 27, 2010 4:16 PM PST

There's nothing Vista-specific in it.

Kees

Collapse -
Solution
by harrythegrout / January 27, 2013 9:55 AM PST

Anybody who has resolved the issues with the other office progs, but is still having it with Outlook then here's the solution I found....

Event ID 1004, event ID 1001, and event ID 1000
To resolve the issues that are related to event ID 1004, to event ID 1001, and to event ID 1000, follow these steps.

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Note You can perform this procedure on a Terminal Server console or on the local computer, depending on the location on which the Office program is installed

Start a Terminal Server client session, and then log on as a user.

Note If you have installed the Office product on the local computer, go to step 2.
Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
In the left pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer
On the Edit menu, click Permissions.
In the permissions for Installer dialog box, click Administrators in the Group or user names list, and then make sure that the Full Control permission is set for the Administrators group. If this permission is not set, click to select the Full Control check box under Allow.
Click OK.
Repeat steps 5 through 6 for the SYSTEM group.
Repeat steps 5 through 6 for the Everyone group. Verify that only the Read permission is set for the Everyone group. If this permission is not set, click to select the Read check box under Allow.
Repeat steps 4 through 8 for the following registry subkeys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Compo
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pip
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Components
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes
Clear the Application log, start the Office program, and then see whether you receive the event IDs that are mentioned in the "Symptoms" section.

If you still receive event ID 1004, delete the UsrClass.dat and UsrClass.dat.log files for every user on the terminal server or on the local computer. To do this, follow these steps:

Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Windows Explorer.
In the left pane, locate and then click the following folder:
Drive:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows
NoteDrive represents the drive letter for the hard disk drive partition on which Windows is installed.

This Windows folder is in a hidden folder. To view the Windows folder, you must configure the folder settings to display hidden files and folders. If you cannot locate the Windows folder, verify that the folder settings on the computer are configured to display hidden files and folders. To do this, follow these steps:
On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
In the Folder Options dialog box, click the View tab.
Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.
Verify that the Windows folder is now available.
In the right pane, right-click UsrClass.dat, and then click Delete.
Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the file deletion.
Repeat steps 3 and 4 for the UsrClass.dat.log file.
Start the Office program, and then verify that the event IDs that are mentioned in the "Symptoms" section are not logged in Application log.

Collapse -
Woah.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 2:46 AM PST
In reply to: Solution

Are you telling me that Microsoft after over a decade wants us to do all that?

Something's been lost in translation.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.