PC Hardware forum


Odd port on my laptop that i cant figure out its use

by josharmorgie / April 2, 2013 8:46 AM PDT

I have recently brought myself a customized laptop online and i know all the other names of the ports and their functions as i requested them when i purchase. This port is next to the headphone jack and microphone jack but its symbol is similar to a castellated line with another line going through it? if anyone has and suggestions as to what it is that would be extremely helpful. Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Odd port on my laptop that i cant figure out its use
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Odd port on my laptop that i cant figure out its use
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
(NT) Ask them if it's optical audio or SPDIF.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2013 12:03 PM PDT
Collapse -
Look at...
by Willy / April 3, 2013 2:21 AM PDT

Wouldn't your manual explain what all ports are about. If no manual check your discs send with the laptop and hopefully it's buried in some .DOC or .PDF file to review it. Otherwise, check the support website and see what they have to offer on your model#, even a custom model still uses typical ports. No provide no picture link to review it on some website like Photobucket or similar. offhand, because its near the audio type ports, it maybe for such use. I hope this link may shed some light:


tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
Look at the laptop docs....the ones that came with the PC or
by VAPCMD / April 3, 2013 11:13 AM PDT

the ones from the mfg available online. They're provided to give you the information you seek.

If you cannot identify the item after looking the mfg docs, post the specific product info and we'll see where it goes from there.


Collapse -
Wikipedia says the term "castellated line" doesn't exist
by wpgwpg / April 3, 2013 11:31 AM PDT
Confused What do you mean by that term?
Collapse -
by mjd420nova / April 4, 2013 11:03 PM PDT

The location of the jack makes it part of the audio setup and most probably is a LINE IN jack, the symbol is what you might see on an AC adapter for AC or analog input.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions


Free trip to the Grand Prix

Don't miss your chance to win a trip to the Formula 1 Grand Prix in Monaco for you and a plus-one.