Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Obamacare Already Adversely Impacting Low Wage Workers

by James Denison / November 11, 2012 3:39 PM PST

We told them, we told them, we told them. They voted for Obama, so now they have his monkey on their back, the one called Obamacare.

"Wal-Mart Stores Inc's (WMT)
U.S. employees will pay between 8 and 36 percent more in premiums for
its medical coverage in 2013, prompting some of the 1.4 million workers
at the nation's largest private employer to say they will forego
coverage altogether.

Wal-Mart's example could be a blueprint for other employers trying to
manage their costs while also preparing to meet the requirements of
President Barack Obama's U.S. Patient Protection and Affordable Care
Act, which was passed in 2010, and is widely referred to as Obamacare."

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Obamacare Already Adversely Impacting Low Wage Workers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Obamacare Already Adversely Impacting Low Wage Workers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) That's what I call "shooting the wounded".
by Tony Holmes / November 11, 2012 5:17 PM PST
Collapse -
The Dems
by TONI H / November 11, 2012 6:51 PM PST

knew there would be many employERS who would drop the insurance and toss the employees into the 'pool'.....I don't think the Dems thought that the employEES themselves would drop the insurance and opt to pay the low fine instead.

Collapse -
what do you get for paying the "fine"?
by James Denison / November 11, 2012 7:36 PM PST
In reply to: The Dems

any medical care?

Collapse -
They could pay for "Walmartcare"
by JP Bill / November 11, 2012 8:06 PM PST

Obamacare is too expensive...buy Walmartcare

Wal-Mart pays for preventive care such as routine checkups. However, workers must pay deductibles of at least $1,750 before Wal-Mart covers 80 percent of the cost of other care such as doctor visits and diagnostic tests.

Wal-Mart's lowest-cost and most popular associate-only medical plan will cost $17.40 per two-week pay period in 2013, up $2 from 2012. Costs for a single non-tobacco-using employee range from that to $59.30 per paycheck for 2013 (or $34.80 to $118.60 every four weeks).

THEN they have to pay the first $1750 + 1423 = $3173 for a SINGLE person

I thought I saw figures around $2100/year for A FAMILY with Obamacare

Collapse -
I have a hunch....
by Josh K / November 11, 2012 10:48 PM PST

.....that this is just more benefits-related shenanigans by Walmart, which is notorious for those kinds of abuses.

We just did our open enrollment and my payments remained the same while my coverage improved a bit, so technically my cost went down a little.

Collapse -
Perhaps that's because
by TONI H / November 11, 2012 11:24 PM PST
In reply to: I have a hunch....

your insurance company policies already included many of the new mandates that Obamacare imposes on insurance policies. There are many companies that offer various plans for their employees and they pick the plan that best suits their needs.......but now insurance companies are being required to cover items and procedures in nearly all of their policies and having to scale back on their 'cadillac' policies because they all now have to meet the requirements of what Obamacare demands. Consequently many policies will cost more now than they did before.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.