NVIDIA graphics card going bad???

by trouble_is39 / January 12, 2005 9:13 PM PST

Here is all of the info that I can tell would be relevant:
NVIDIA GeForce Ti 4200 with AGP8X
Windows XP Home
Maxtor 80G hard drive - only 13G being used
AMD Athlon XP 2200 Processor
768M RAM
This computer is a couple years old and has never given me a problem, display wise, until now. At start-up while everything is checking out, the screen looks like the computer screens on The Matrix... jumbled symbols spaced sporadically all over the screen. After Windows opens there are several small, faint lines surrounding the cursor and the screen flashes off and on maybe two or three times a minute and sometimes goes black for a few seconds. It has frozen up a couple of times. I went to the NVIDIA website and updated the drivers. I have gone to Device Manager and disabled the display driver and the problem goes away. I don't use the computer for gaming or anything that would strees it's capabilities so I'm at a loss as to why this is happening. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NVIDIA graphics card going bad???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NVIDIA graphics card going bad???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Trouble, Have You Tried ???
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 13, 2005 3:59 AM PST

...taking the cover off the computer, (Make sure to power down and unplug from the wall before doing this), then remove the video card, then reseat it again. If there are any bad connections, this should get them going again...

In addition, while you've got the cover off, blow out all the dust and junk from inside so it will stay cooler.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Finess of a charging elephant...
by Trouble_Is / January 13, 2005 4:36 AM PST

I've never ventured inside the cabinet before. I'll give it a shot tonight after work. Would there be any little clips or anything holding the card in or should it slide right out? I hate to admit it, but I am a "if it doesn't fit - force it" type of guy and would hate to mess up the motherboard by prying on it.
Thanks for your help! ROD

Collapse -
Rod, Here's A Picture...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 13, 2005 8:40 AM PST

..or two of what the card will look like plus the AGP slot, or at least similar. These instructions talk about "upgrading" a card, which you're not going to do, but you will be removing, then replacing the card, which is much the same.:

Click on the link above, then click on the various sub-links lableled as "picture" for each of the various instructions. The should be a screw which holds the entire card to the back of the computer then the card should just slide out of the slot that it's in. After sliding it out, simply slide it back in, then replace the screw that held in the card.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Still acting up, but not as bad
by trouble_is39 / January 13, 2005 3:20 PM PST

Thanks for the info, Grif. I reseated the card and enabled the display driver. The screen still flickers occasionally and the cursor still has it's little shadow buddies hanging around it. The "Matrix" - type symbols are gone now, though. I lowered the resolution and it seemed to help a little (running 1024 x 768 now). I checked the price of a replacement card and couldn't find one with the same specs - everything I could find was faster/more powerful than the one I have. Am I correct in assuming that a new one would plug right in? Oh... I also came across a website in this forum (Tweaks3D I think) that suggested allocating more RAM to the graphics card. Has anyone tried this or have any thoughts on it? Thank you again for the help.

Collapse -
NVidia AGP 8x
by funkid7 / January 13, 2005 10:25 PM PST

IS this 8mb video mem? sounds like an older card to me. sounds like your Videocard is running in S-L-O-W mode, compared to the other hardware you mentioned; your 8card is a dinosaur.
Mine is 256mb NVidia with it's own mem processor built in. Even if you are not a gamer; Upgrading should be fine, as long as your MotherBrd will accept it. Older Video cards DO share Rambus mem and this may slow you down a bit. Newer Vcards leave your Ram alone and allow for faster multi-tasking.
I make animations with my NVidia and would suggest getting another card that has the NVidia chipset. Have built ten comps so far and I may not know too much tech stuff, but I do know what gives me the least trouble: NVidia

Collapse -
Re: Re: NVidia AGP 8x
by John Robie / January 14, 2005 7:03 AM PST
In reply to: NVidia AGP 8x

Hi Funkid,

The Nvidia GeForce 4 TI 4200 card was an excellent card just a couple years ago, when the GeForce 4 TI 4600 was the top of the line.

The 8x is not memory. The 8x is the AGP slot type. 8x will work in 4x motherboards. His card memory for the 4200 is either 64MB or 128MB, he didn't say. To increase his card efficency would be to overclock and I doubt he has the skill to do and may fry his card.

I have almost all the latest high tech video games, and so far have not found one that requires a 256MB card. They want to sell games, and even in the forseeable future, a 128MB card will still be in the requirement of those high tech games to sell the games to max people. His Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200 card should also make animations and does not share rambus.

The only comment I have for Trouble (re his questions) is that since he has an AGP slot, just about any more powerful card will fit and for economy would suggest the Nvidia GeForce 4 FX 5200. Check out on their cards listed.

Collapse -
New Card
by Trouble_Is / January 14, 2005 1:28 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Re: NVidia AGP 8x

Well, I got a new video card. I took your advise John and purchased the NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (PNY) at a local computer store for $75. What a difference Happy I can really tell a difference when running the visualizations on WMP and watching videos on the Comcast home page. Anyone have any idea what I could have done, if anything, to corrupt the old video card? I leave my computer on most of the time and it has been sitting in the same place since I bought it. Maybe the dust bunnies attacked I won't ever let it get that bad again. Thanks to everyone for their help! ROD

Collapse -
Glad to see the new card fixed. About
by John Robie / January 14, 2005 1:57 PM PST
In reply to: New Card

those bunnies. By necessity my computer towers are on the floor and were collecting way too much dust. What I did was install an additional fan ($10-12) to suck air in through homemade filters (cut up heating/air conditioning filters). Can buy those little fan guards for aprx $1 and screw on to the case to hold the filters. So what, if you have lots of other inlets for air, the sucking of that fan through the filters keeps all the dust out. Normally can put the extra fan at the rear of the tower, but I have cut the sides of a tower case to install..for lack of.

Have always shut down my computers at the end of each day's use for quite a few years, with no problems....they need a rest (and I don't worry) ;-).
Want to read 520 posts on "turning off PC" = Good/Bad"?
Check this out:

Collapse -
Sounds like it just died.
by chuckieu / January 15, 2005 2:33 AM PST

You mentioned the card was a few years old. Most last longer than that, but there are no guarantees. Keeping
the case clean, good air flow, etc. certainly help reduce
the stress and prolong that time. chuck

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.