PC Hardware forum

General discussion

NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT problems!

by WrightVGC / July 21, 2010 11:04 AM PDT

Long story to start with.

Hey all, over the past week ive been having major problems with my 9600gt card. It all started when i have to pack up my pc to move house. When i reconnected it all back up i had a black screen. So i took off my vga to DCI adapter and plugged the monitor's vga cable into the normal vga socket. When i managed to get the thing on vista couldnt detect my nvidia graphics card, and instead was using the "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter". I couldn't fix it for a few hours so i just reinstalled windows to save myself more hours of pointless hassle. When windows installed it could detect my nvidia graphics card again. But i had fewer resolutions available including the standard 1680x1050 resolution i have always used, though i did manage to find this in the nvidia control panel but 1680x1050 wasnt available as an opion in any games i tried including world of warcraft call of duty etc, meaning everytime i tried to play something my res would reset to whatever the game was using. I also forgot to mention after reinstalling windows i switched back to my vga>dci adapter. I have also had some freezing problems. Now and again my pc will lock up and need to be restarted and its making my pc pretty much un-useable. My drivers are all up to date and ive never had any problems like this previously and ive completely run out of ideas on what to do.

Apologies for the wall of text but didnt want to miss any info Silly

Now for the short version and some things ive noticed that may help diagnose the problem.

When the nvidia card is working, it will sometimes make the pc freeze and need to be restarted. This is completely random and not when im doing something that could be even the slightest strain on the pc, even sometimes during startup.

Uninstalling the on-chip from the device manager and restarting with the vga in the DCI slot sometimes fixes the problem.

Sometimes (usually after being off while i sleep) it will fix itself and will work when i turn the pc on.

So far though it has repeatedly froze my pc or randomly stopped working and it's really stressing me out.

Thanks in advance for the help and let me know if you need anymore info. (though keep in mind im not the most knowledgeable when it comes to technical computer stuff ^^" )

Again apologies for the wall of text Silly

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT problems!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT problems!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
9600 gt problem
by nofret / July 21, 2010 11:54 AM PDT

Sounds Like a driver problem I have dual gt9800s and the drver for them as well as tour 9600 gt. Vers 8.15.11,8627 which can be had at the nvidia website.

Collapse -
installd drivers
by WrightVGC / July 21, 2010 11:57 AM PDT
In reply to: 9600 gt problem

drivers are all up to date and were at the time it started happening.

Another thing i noticed. When the card stops working, when it does work again it's still got the newest drivers installed and all display settings are how i left them. :S

:EDIT:

sorry i forgot another piece of info. At one point when it stopped working the nvidia card could be seen in the device manager last with a yellow ! next to it and it said

"Code 12: This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use"

This has only happened once so far though.

Collapse -
Code 12: This device cannot find enough free resources...
by Brechan / July 27, 2010 1:16 AM PDT

After 'googling' this error message (and reading various posts in other forums), these are the possible reasons/ solutions:

1) outdated BIOS (try updating to the current version of BIOS)

2) another-newly installed-component (e.g. soundcard) using the resources available
-try disabling onboard soundcard if using dedicated soundcard

3) try a different slot for the videocard

4) disable Com Ports (in BIOS) if not in use

5) uninstall the all the drivers for the videocard (use driversweeper to uninstall all the drivers http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/) then reinstall the current drivers for your videocard

6)ensure you have the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard

7) try clearing the CMOS battery and resetting everything to default (http://discussions.virtualdr.com/archive/index.php/t-231257.html )

Collapse -
Hello again and sorry
by WrightVGC / August 10, 2010 1:20 PM PDT

Hello again, firstly i'de like to apologise for the late reply. We had o switch our ISP from sky to virgin and the net was cut off abruptly and we only got it back on today. Anyway, i have tried step 5, 6 and 7 out of your last post. Steps 2 and 3 aren't possible because no new hardware has been installed and i only have one graphics card slot on my motherboard. Though advice on trying steps 1 and 4 will be needed. I tried finding out how to update my BIOS but i didn't get far and ive no idea about step 4 and google wasnt any help. Thanks for the replys so far and sorry again for the late reply.

Collapse -
9600gt problems.
by nofret / August 11, 2010 3:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Hello again and sorry

I just thought of something; You said you moved, but I`ll bet you did`nt remove the card. Most cards don`t have an extra bracket at the back of the card so the card can`t move around during shipping. Thats why some manufacturers put the card-s in a box and you have to put it in.It`s very easy to cause problems.

Collapse -
Solved...kinda
by WrightVGC / August 11, 2010 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: 9600gt problems.

Could very well be but its quite firmly held in place with a screw aswell as the slot for the card. I just tried the card in my friends pc and it doesnt work at all and his works in mine so i guess thats that Sad
Strange how it worked a little before and just got worse and worse. A massive thanks for all your help and advice guys but i guess the card is just dead :/ An excuse to upgrade my card now atleast to something dx 11 compatible. Thankyou again and cya around Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.