Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

nvidia 8600m GT cards

by f.r.w.d. / August 15, 2008 5:26 AM PDT

I have a Macbook Pro with the above mentioned graphics card. There are several stories and a statement from nvidia re a high failure rate? Does anyone have more information? Are all the chips bad? My mac is not coverage by applecare, should I be concerned?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: nvidia 8600m GT cards
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: nvidia 8600m GT cards
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hard to say
by BeatleMegaFan / August 15, 2008 1:53 PM PDT
In reply to: nvidia 8600m GT cards

Neither Apple nor NVIDIA have confirmed this for us. Apparently, many NVIDIA graphics cards are subject to manufacturing defects. As such, they could fail after certain periods of use. I have heard that the supposedly affected 8400 and 8600 cards actually belong to computers built by Dell and HP; Apple may not have them. No one knows if ALL of the chips are bad. Some people say that their NVIDIA-equipped MacBooks are failing, but they are in the minority (so far). Mine works perfectly, and many others do too.

If your MacBook works fine, I wouldn't be concerned. If Apple orders a recall, then it should cover all affected notebooks, covered by AppleCare or not. You can only wait and see.

Collapse -
It's true. there is a serious problem and i know from ...
by jigmeg / August 15, 2008 5:02 PM PDT

It's true. there is a serious problem and i know from experience: two replaced MBP logic boards and it's still dead but now out of warranty. if ur screen goes dark on boot and OS only sees the nvidia chip as the intel one, u know u got the bug. the only fix is logic board replacement. did that twice, as apple just replaces with the same board and they only last x amount of months. total hose job for hundreds of users so far. i had to get an imac to get some work done, the mbp is sitting in a box.

Collapse -
Get that think into Apple Care!!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2008 11:45 PM PDT
Collapse -
when is the class action?
by jigmeg / August 16, 2008 1:54 AM PDT

well its out of warranty now, and they don't even sell applecare here in this country (no one is authorized for it). i guess if there is a class action i can join:)

Collapse -
Somethings awry here. Apply has global plans.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2008 7:15 AM PDT

"the AppleCare Protection Plan offers global repair coverage. You can either go to an Apple retail store or contact Apple for information on how to obtain service. Service will be limited to the options available in the country where service is requested. Service options, parts availability, and response time vary according to country. Please see the AppleCare Protection Plan Terms and Conditions for complete details."

Collapse -
no applecare
by f.r.w.d. / August 16, 2008 7:12 AM PDT

I cannot get applecare out of warranty. it is over 1 yr old.

Collapse -
Why would this matter?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2008 7:17 AM PDT
In reply to: no applecare

Each one of us makes our choices. You made yours so I'm unsure what your question is here.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.