The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Number one reason you switched to a digital camera?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / March 23, 2005 5:46 AM PST

What's the number one reason you switched to a digital camera?

- Ability to see images instantly
- Allows me to print images whenever I want
- Ability to share images easily with others
- Overall cost savings Easy and unlimited photo storage
- Ability to access photos from any computer
- Useful for online auctions, dating services, real estate
- Other
- What are you talking about? I still use film

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Number one reason you switched to a digital camera?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Number one reason you switched to a digital camera?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Number one reason you switched to a digital camera?
by Stan Chambers / March 23, 2005 5:57 AM PST

The obvious answer is cost savings, which is perpetuated by the ability to edit and print only the photos that you want, not to mention the convenience factor.

Collapse -
number one reason you switched to digital
by bpaolucci / March 24, 2005 2:31 AM PST

Photographers won't switch, they have added digital.
It's not an either/or situation. The public will switch to digital because they can save money on film & processing and those terrible shots found in each roll of film can just be erased.

Professionals see digital as just one more tool in the camera bag.

Collapse -
Reason for Going Digital
by fjripp / March 24, 2005 8:28 PM PST

For "TOTAL CONTROL" of the photographic process .... from start to finsh (Camera, Computer & Printing).

Collapse -
F8 and push the button
by peterCIS / March 24, 2005 8:57 PM PST

Digital is great, but it lacks in a few areas. One big one for me is that I have not been able to find a camera that takes a picture when I want it to take the picture. Sure I know all the tricks about presetting the camera prior to really taking the shot, but when I push the button I want the photo then, not a second later.

If someone has a camera that will take a photo as fast as my Minolta Film SLR without spending a grand let me know.

Collapse -
why a digital camera
by rosemary ahmann / March 24, 2005 10:26 PM PST

I chose other category. I like digital work because it allows me darkroom work without the chemicals.

Collapse -
ditigal photos
by rfenimore / March 24, 2005 11:06 PM PST

I enjoy the ability to see the photos immediately. That way if the picture was a bit off, you can take another one.

Collapse -
averted a family crisis
by denzanne827 / March 24, 2005 11:58 PM PST

My young son Miles lives 2,700 miles away from his nearest grandparent and most of his aunts, uncles & cosuins. For that reason alone, I count my digital camera as my #1 favorite gadget. I'm sure I've saved thousands of dollars already in the amount of film I don't have to process, and sharing and storing digitally is unmatched. It's definitely eased the pressure of living so far away from family.

Collapse -
convenience, digital camera fits in shirt pocket & goes . .
by PJP / March 25, 2005 12:03 AM PST

The sucker fits in my shirt pocket & goes wherever I go (3x optical, 3 meg, mini movies, records sound, flash, etc.)

With the Nicons it was always a case full of lenses & an expedition, or at least a seperate lump & strap.

Plus one can take lots of "bracketing" shots & delete them easily at no cost, and manipulating them for printout is a snap (compared to "hard copy" enlargements, etc.

Enjoy!

Collapse -
You left off the most imporant reason!
by jmark1949 / March 25, 2005 12:46 AM PST

The reason I switched to digital was the ability to fine tune my images in Photoshop. I no longer had to rely on the lab for cropping, contrast and saturation control, dodging and burning, and lots of other ways to improve the final image. For me, that has been the prime benefit of digital photography over film photography.

jmark1949@yahoo.com

Collapse -
#1 reason for buying a digital camera...
by Thomas L Clements / March 25, 2005 12:52 AM PST

Where is the option for all of the above? I'm sure I'm not the only one in which each factor can play a deciding role as to whether I buy it or not. It is the group of choice as a whole that sets my deciding choice.

Collapse -
the other blessing of digital cameras
by gov50 / March 25, 2005 5:06 AM PST

I came to digital from point and shoot film. But even then i wanted a camera that would let me override settings. I greatly appreciate all the things I've learned in CNET forums and elsewhere on the web and the learning curve has been part of the overall joy. One unexpected benefit of the switch to digital that was unconsidered, is the improvement made in the quality of my photography that is made possible by being able to load the pix into the pc and review the picture data alongside large thumbnails as quickly , sometimes as 20 minutes after i have taken them, while everything is still fresh in my mind. Sure beats waiting even a few hours for 1 hour processing. I still like scanning negatives for some shots--especially low light sunsets but even that is better since i went digital.

Collapse -
Film Forever!!!!!
by rae2_2 / March 25, 2005 12:58 AM PST

I've been shooting photos since the Kodak Brownie days and, in spite of my Luddite tendencies brought about by advanced age, I DO appreciate the one big advantage digital has over film... instant gratification - don't like it, shoot again. Great!

(But I'll argue to the grave that shooting on film forces you to pay much more attention to what you're doing. If you're holding a single-shot rifle (film camera), you MAKE SURE of your target and aim. Using a "machine gun" (digital camera) doesn't require anywhere near the same skill or accuracy or precision. Go ahead... shoot a hundred shots... ONE of them has to be good!)

However, for me, there are TWO major disadvantages to any digital camera I've used... the first is the DELAY after pressing the shutter... drives me nuts, and the second is that, to my eyes, the subtleties apparent in, say, an available light portrait blown up to 16x20, even from 35mm, are simply NOT THERE in any digital image I've seen to date.

My advice? If you're more interested in FAST snapshots than in QUALITY and SUBTLETY, use digital. Otherwise, shoot on film, take to 1-hour photo, get 4x6 "proofs" and pay the $1.50 for a CD if you must have the "digital" version. That's the best of both worlds! Now when you do find you have that "terrific" shot, you can at least get a decent blow up of it!

Collapse -
Re: Film Forever
by bimmerpilot / May 28, 2005 2:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Film Forever!!!!!

Well said! Especially the referece to single shot vs. machinegun. Being able to shoot and re-shoot make you careless about composition, lighting and other important details of photography. If you only have one chance to get that particular shot, better rely on film and experience, otherwise you have to spend time doctoring it up with Photoshop or similar software.

When you can get a 30'' x 60'' enlargement from a digital image, I'll say that the digital has finally equalled the 35mm film camera. I know because I have had a 35mm color photo of the North tower of the Golden Gate Bridge taken from an airplane enlarged to 30'' x 60'' and it draws complements whenever someone sees it.

Collapse -
I prefer digital camers because...
by rjohn272 / March 25, 2005 1:37 AM PST

I know virtualy nothing about photography. As I learn and make lots of mistakes, I'm not wasting hundreds of dollars on film and processing costs. I can see the results quicker and just delete the junk.

Collapse -
You presume too much
by JSB462 / March 25, 2005 9:05 AM PST

I didn't switch. I added. Probably like many others. I have a really nice Cannon A-1 with 70-200mm lens, as well as power winder and 50 and 28mm lenses. My wife chronicled our sons growing up, with hundreds of pictures. We used it on many vacations, taking beautiful pictures of everything. BUT... HEAVY! the case and all that stuff (oh yes, there is the flash, spare batteries, extra film, the film that has been shot but not taken in yet, etc.) weighs a ton. I also had to wait for film to be developed. I didn't know if I got the shot until the film comes back, then it it usually too late to try again.

Eventually, all the drawbacks will be overcome, like that most annoying lag in taking the picture, quality is matching 35mm, etc. Additionally, they are lighter, smaller, and take movies. No film camera ever had all those features. Just takes a little while, then it will be every reason you can think of.

Collapse -
Reason For switching - Other
by edfrank / March 25, 2005 10:06 AM PST

Clearly there are a number of advantages and some disadvantages to digital. What attracted me in the first place was the chance to immediately see the image I shot, and then be able to reshoot again if it was not right. I do large amounts of nature photography in variable light conditions. Too many times I would come home and have a roll of slides with only a few acceptable quality, even with bracketing. With digital I can shoot a hundred shots of a single still life, and choose to save the one that works best. I can shoot images of a subtle difference in the green tone within a patch of ferns. If it works fine, if not I can simply delete the images and shot again. You can easily take a series of photos that tell a story, rather than relying on a few images. The ability to shoot as many photos of a single subject as you feel is necessary changes your approach to how you shoot pictures. I still take time to properly compose each image, and adjust the exposure. If it doesn't work oput I can shoot again. If a deer is walking throught the woods I can shoot and shoot and shoot again until it goes out of site. Digital photography changes your mindset of what you can do with your camera. You still need to be a good phtotgrapher to take consistently good images, but it frees you to experiment with your art form.

Ed Frank

Collapse -
Reason for using Digital
by evdon2 / March 25, 2005 4:08 PM PST

There are so many advantages don't have room to list them all.
Ease of use, delete bad pics,I have a FD Mavica 92 & 97 both have large optical zooms, large battery capacity both floppy & memory stick only 1.6 megapixals but takes excellant pics

Collapse -
Why digital?
by littledanny / March 27, 2005 5:01 AM PST

The picture quality I am getting is much better than prints plus scanning. Now I can crop and adjust high quality images where as predigital the quality was severely limited by the scanner. I'm surprised quality and scanning was not an option.

Collapse -
'Other' here, too -- ease of travel and editing

Using a digital drastically cuts concerns about film (roll volume, X-ray damage) while traveling abroad with weight/volume limits on luggage.

Second is that one can easily edit the results to make them look much better than the typical batch development process. The downside is that takes time, which is in scarce supply for me.

-- Dave K.

Collapse -
film over digital cameras
by jmontesin / April 9, 2005 10:57 AM PDT

I also use film I have a Nikon F70 and don't like any thing else. The most important to consider is does digital photos come as clear as the conventional film do. How is the resolution of the photos with a digital camera of the highest megapixels compares say with an ISO 100 or 60 film photos?

If they are equal I would swithch to digital camera.

Collapse -
Added, not switched
by Jim345 / May 5, 2005 11:33 PM PDT

I love my Sony DSC-V1 digital but it is only another of my photographic tools, since I have no plans to give up my Cannon AE-1 or my Leica M3 any time in the future. When I want to go out and shoot fine art photos film is the medium of choice. For routine vacation, event, or personal photos I like my digital because I feel freer to take more photos from different perspectives, angles, lighting, etc. I have taken enough digital photos that the overall cost per picture is well under a penny, which is impossible with film.

People who complain about lack of resolution of digital photos have probably not seen many 5M Pixel or above photos. If the photos are printed out at 8X10 or less it's likely that not many people could ever tell a digital and conventional print apart.

Of course one last reason for digital is to better enable you to take sexy photos of your sweetheart. The days of taking poor quality Polaroid?s or being embarrassed to take the film to the processing lab or worrying about unauthorized copies being made are over. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this before; although I?m sure it is one good reason to add digital and was on everyone?s mind.

Collapse -
Switching to a digital camera
by bimmerpilot / May 28, 2005 2:06 PM PDT

I bought an inexpensive compact Minolta G-400 camera so that I could keep the thing handy to take spur of the moment photos. It's good for that but unless you are willing to go for the bulk and expense of a semi-pro digicam like the Nikon D70 (or even a more expensive one) the quality of the photos are disappointing compared to the results you can get with a moderately expensive 35mm film SLR. When I need first class photos, I resort to my SLR with interchangeable lenses to get the results that I need. The "unlimited" storage of digital photos is somewhat misleading, as they will rapidly fill up a hard disk drive; you have to look at the expense of a very large HDD to keep from running out of space.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.