Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Number keypad problem

by Cushie / December 29, 2006 12:29 AM PST

After a reformat and installation of XP_SP2 I have the same problem on two new keyboards. A new bog standard UK keyboard with the number keypad on the right
= "Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard", and another new usb wireless keyboard of similar layout, = "Logitech HID-Compliant Keyboard". The NUM Lock key is on at boot up but the number keys will not work. If I take the NUM key off the alternative keys do work! I have tried setting XP to 'English keyboard' and 'English extended keyboard" neither make any difference. I feel some system file is missing on boot up. Help would be welcome to solve this annoying problem.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Number keypad problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Number keypad problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you try the numlock on/off option?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2006 12:50 AM PST
In reply to: Number keypad problem

Type XP NUMLOCK BOOT OPTION into to find out how to set XP to set this at boot but most of the time this happens when you install a keyboard driver or enhancer. Fix? Don't use such or ask the keyboard maker for a fixed driver.

Collapse -
Num lock itself not a problem
by Cushie / December 30, 2006 2:04 AM PST

The NUMLOCK key works and I can lock/unlock the Num pad. The numbers, however, do not work as intended, when the NUMLOCK is on. I would dearly like to have this option to work. (The Logitek software lets me see on screen when certain keys are set as well as extended function keys.
Your help most welcom

Collapse -
Sorry, I can't fix Logitech's buggy drivers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2006 2:59 AM PST

All I can note is I don't use them and don't run into this issue on machines I don't install them.

This issue is for you and Logitech to resolve.

Collapse -
do you have logitech setpoint installed?
by jmhal / December 30, 2006 3:07 AM PST

Because if you do, that might be the problem. I just received a logitech bluetooth mouse for Christmas and when I installed setpoint the mouse stopped working. But when I uninstalled it everything worked perfectly again.

Collapse -
I'm confused.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 30, 2006 5:47 AM PST

It seems you haven't taken Bob's advice any further, but I'm still confused about the problem.

On my keyboard, with the Number Lock engaged, the number keypad becomes a navigation keypad, eg the 8 key is the Up arrow key, the 6 key is the Right arrow key, etc.

But with the number lock dis-engaged, the number pad becomes a....... number pad.

Is that not happening to your keyboard?

By the way, look inside your BIOS for Number Lock options.

Collapse -
Num Lock
by Cushie / December 31, 2006 12:59 AM PST
In reply to: I'm confused.

OK I unstalled the USB keyboard and replaced with bog standard, XP chose the drivers, but got same problem, I guess something must me missing in XP.

My nums lock works the other way, ON for NUMBERS< except I don't get them.

If I use the Logitech software I get extra keys and a screen warning that the NUM LOCK is ON or OFF. Both bits of hardware have worked before my reformat, that's why I suspect some software is missing.

Collapse -
Since you use the logitech software, all bets are off. link
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2006 1:12 AM PST
In reply to: Num Lock describes a bug Microsoft only fixes when a person encounters it. Yes, such things do happen in XP as well.

"Drivers associated with Compaq's multimedia keyboard features are inadvertently addressing the Kinesis keyboard's memory chip. There are several ways to solve the problem."
As an example there are numerous issues with such things.

Tell me what's in this registry key.

Yes, same key for XP.

Collapse -
its not the software
by PsychoticDeath / December 31, 2006 5:06 AM PST

there is something in windows called stickykeys.
click somewhere on te desktop and press the shift key 5 times. yes 5.
all gamers know about stickey keys!!

anyway pressing shift 5 times turns stickeykeys off same with with 5 times turns it on.

go into the settings. takes you to an accessibility options page. in there i am sure you can fix your numberkeys problem!
its happend to me many times before.

basically you want to disable stickey keys on the keyboard tab. Happy

hope this helps

Collapse -
by PsychoticDeath / December 31, 2006 5:20 AM PST

could be related to the account not sharing the same settings or sharing the same files as the other uses in the account settings.
maybe there is a program conflict. IE antivirus software
or svchost stops responding when closing program files.

Collapse -
Sticky keys AV conflict?
by Cushie / December 31, 2006 6:32 PM PST
In reply to: humm

Thanks for that suggestion, all seems ok, I like the idea of a beep when caps lock or num lock is set otherwise everything is off.
Checked the logon accounts, only one is set as admin. I am running AVG as A.Virus, and have both Firefox (default) and IE. Do you think there are any conflicts there?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.