Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

ntldr is missing problem. how can I solve it?

by Jayerrr / February 21, 2013 5:17 AM PST

i fromatted my pc because i had a virus. Now I'd like to install win7 again, but when I boot from the formatted HDD (without OS) is says NTLDR is missing. When I boot with the win7 disc in it, it says: windows is loading files. but after a while it is loading, it says that there was a problem comunicating with the HDD... how can I solve it?
my HDD is a caviar green 1tb 7200rpm HDD

Jayerrr has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ntldr is missing problem. how can I solve it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ntldr is missing problem. how can I solve it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Jayerrr

Collapse -
It sounds like possible bad sectors
by wpgwpg / February 21, 2013 5:23 AM PST

Get a repair disc and boot to the command prompt. Then issue this command: Chkdsk /f /r . This will check for bad sectors and attempt repair of them. Note that this can run for several hours depending on hard drive size. If you don't have a repair disc, you can make one on any Windows 7 system. Just click Start -> Control Panel -> Backup and Recovery -> Create a system repair disc. Insert a CD-R and in 2 minutes you'll have it.

Good luck.

Collapse -
do i have to boot from it?
by Jayerrr / February 21, 2013 10:14 PM PST

i cannot boot to the command prompt, I don't reach that point...
help me pls

Collapse -
If you can't boot from a repair disc
by wpgwpg / February 21, 2013 10:37 PM PST

You have a defective computer if you can't boot from a repair disc. Could be motherboard, could be DVD/CD drive, could be power supply. Take it to a service technician.

Good luck.

Collapse -
The HDD message is a bad sign.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2013 5:22 AM PST

But try this. Power off, remove power and gently unplug and plug the SATA cables and power to the HDD back in at both ends of the SATA cable.

If that fails, replace the HDD and reinstall the OS. Put the old HDD into some USB case if you want to try to salvage your files.

Collapse -
the hdd is fine
by Jayerrr / February 21, 2013 10:12 PM PST

if i connect my hdd to an other PC, it works perfectly... if I try to install the OS on an other HDD, same thing...
I was thinking it may be the BIOS?

My motherboard: asrock z77 pro 3

Collapse -
Then the machine has a defect.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2013 12:12 AM PST
In reply to: the hdd is fine

It's quite the odd failure. Could be any one of the parts in the defective PC from bad parts to incorrect settings.

Think back to when it worked. What's new, what's changed and is there any question in anyone's mind about heatsink compound, fans or flaky video systems?

As it stands the PC looks to have the defect.

Collapse -
have no idea
by Jayerrr / February 22, 2013 4:51 AM PST

what is new: i formatted the HDD...

everything worked fine, perfectly

my setup:

i7 2600k
16gb RAM
nvidia gtx 680
corsair gs800 power supply
zalman z11 case
asrock z77 pro3
wd caviar green 1tb 7200rpm
dvd reader/burner

when i look at the temps in the bios, the cpu runs about 40 degrees and the gpu around 35.

Collapse -
Maybe that's the clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2013 4:57 AM PST
In reply to: have no idea

If you format that HDD, you could trip up Windows and it's installer. Lesson? Never format a drive. Let the Windows installer off the DVD partition and format the drive during install. Start with a blank HDD.

Nice list but it appears you are not trying the usual. That is, you don't nee all the sticks of RAM to sniff out the issue. Also the issues with ram is legendary. I've had discussions before and the builders rarely can check if the memory settings match the specs of the ram. Most builders think if it plugs in, they are done.

Collapse -
what can i do now?
by Jayerrr / February 22, 2013 6:46 PM PST
In reply to: Maybe that's the clue.

what can I do now with the ram?

Collapse -
Start out basic
by lacsr / February 22, 2013 8:32 PM PST
In reply to: what can i do now?

Remove all but one stick of RAM and set BIOS back to defaults. Make sure the DVD drive is set for first boot item. Disconnect everything but the monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Try again with the Windows 7 install disk.

Collapse -
try to solved with boot repair disk
by cakhand / June 2, 2013 4:19 PM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.