Computer Help

General discussion

NTLDR IS MISSING PRESS CTRL+ALT+DEL TO RESTART

by tomscn / December 5, 2008 6:27 PM PST

Hello: The subject line here is what I saw when I first started my pc yesterday morning. I am using xp home and HP said I have to clear the CMOS so I went to this site they supplied>>>

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07813&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=90862#N1225

and Scrolled down to the Clear CMOS instructions.
Here is my problem, I have the pc apart now (I am on my old pc now)
I need to know what the Jumper caps J4 looks like. I have been staring into the pc and cannot figure it out. Can anyone enlighten me on what they look like? Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NTLDR IS MISSING PRESS CTRL+ALT+DEL TO RESTART
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NTLDR IS MISSING PRESS CTRL+ALT+DEL TO RESTART
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are You Sure??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 6, 2008 1:56 AM PST

There generally are different fixes for the " NTLDR IS MISSING" problem you've mentioned..

Do you have SP2 or SP3 installed on the computer? If you're still using the older service packs, the issue is fixed by installing such.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320397/

Did you unplug all USB devices from the computer and does that help?

Tried Running a "repair" installation of XP with your XP disc?

Tried using a boot floppy or the Recovery Console and copy over a new NTLDR, boot.ini, and ntdetect.com file from a clean computer?

http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm

Still, if you want to proceed...The jumpers section is described in the lined diagram at the link you provided. It's in the lower right corner of the motherboard.. I can't see for sure from the picture given, but it looks like there are four - 3 pin jumpers in the "jumpers" section.. On the picture, it looks like all the jumpers have a small black cap placed on pins 2 and 3.. If the jumpers section has numbers below each 3 pin set, you should be able to determine which one is J4.. If not, then the jumpers are generally numbered 1 to 4, in left to right order. Pulling the little black cap which covers pins 2 and 3 and moving it up to pins 1 and 2 should do what you request.. Please note that you will then have to reset everything from scratch is you do what you propose.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
NTLDR MISSING PRESS CTRL-ALT-DEL TO RESTART
by tomscn / December 6, 2008 3:31 AM PST

Thanks for the reply, I dont have a xp disk this is an HP xp home edition OEM
I found the jumper caps and did the switach for around 5 seconds then put it back to original position. It did nothing, maybe i did not leave it out long enough. The reason I know is i checked the bios which must be done in order to reset the time and date etc.

Anyway I copied the NTLDR, NEDETECT, from this pc onto a floppy and it almost worked, I got a different screen after it sounded like it was going to boot into windows. The Screen said Boot.ini not configured correctly (or something to that effect)

So do you think I could copy the boot.ini from this pc onto a floppy along with the other two and it would then boot the pc.
These two pc's are both xp home editions oem from HP

What do you think? Thanks

Collapse -
Yep, A Good boot.ini Is Needed Also..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 6, 2008 5:49 AM PST

So your can edit the one that's already on the computer (view the other machine's boot.ini file and change the one on the "bad" machine) or simply try copying over the good boot.ini file.. Unfortunately, boot.ini files can vary from computer to computer, so you might want to simply edit the bad one if possible.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
NTLDR MISSING PRESS CTRL-ALT-DEL TO RESTART
by tomscn / December 6, 2008 7:20 AM PST

ok, I copied the boot.ini off this pc and added it the bad pc, but now it is stating that the Hal.dll file is corrupted and I should replace it. How do I do that? Thanks

Collapse -
See This..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 6, 2008 7:58 AM PST
Collapse -
same problem--different cause
by pintree3 / June 7, 2009 6:21 PM PDT
In reply to: See This..

One of 2 hard drive crashed. I bought a new one-installed windows XP home from original OEM CD. But it gave me the option to install it in G: and not C: How could it be? I asked myself. Is it possible the store placed the jumpers of the 2 hard drives wrongly?

Had no time to check so I installed Windows on G: No problems overall except that it would not boot without Windows OS CD iun it. Used PC and windows on G for a few months.

Finally reinstalled windows but this time C: was available--Oh Goody.

After original installation process on reboot I am shown a choice to choose from 2 identical Windows XP Home. OH OH! Choose the first. Windows appears not to have been installed properly. Tried to format drive with other Windows os (now on D) but couldn't. Reboot on safe mode. Delete files on D:. reboot. 2 window XP choices still available. format D: drive via windows install CD.

Reinstall windows one more time. This time all is OK.

Go online. attain and install (one at a time each with a reboot) VGA drivers, sound card drivers, and usb and internet drivers.

all ok. go to motherboard website and updtate bios. Site says after update it will reboot. but it doesn't reboot. I do so manually. go back online and try again. same thing but this time on reboot I go to BIOS set up and see that in fact the new bios was installed. continue then with booting in. all seems ok.

Do some windows properties settings such as screen resolution etc. all is ok. reboot. all is ok. Install Sygate personal firewall. am asked to reboot. I do so.

on rebbot I get the "NTLDR is missing press ctrl alt del"

what happened? Now what? Is the problem, because the 2 hard drives were set wrongly and now confusing things due to all the stuff done on it?

or

is it becuase I had 2 equal OS's on it and deleted them?

Or is it the BIOS updtae thing that caused the problem? Who knows but now I am stuck with not being able to boot in.

Collapse -
Sygate?
by RCF_Rose / June 8, 2009 3:09 AM PDT
Do some windows properties settings such as screen resolution etc. all is ok. reboot. all is ok. Install Sygate personal firewall. am asked to reboot. I do so.

on rebbot I get the "NTLDR is missing press ctrl alt del"

I would suspect Sygate.

@
\)/
Rose
Collapse -
same problem dif't reason
by pintree3 / June 8, 2009 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Sygate?

It would seem as if sygate may be the problem--but I think it's a coincidence--i believe the problem stems from something done/mentioned before it. Had sygate not been installed, it would have happened just the same.
Also, I spent hours searching this problem and reading about it--nowhere, from microsoft.co to sites like this one, was sygate ever mentioned

Collapse -
I Disconnect All Other Drives Before Installing The OS..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 8, 2009 4:36 AM PDT

At the beginning of the installation, I eliminate all partitions on the drive, then format it from scratch, then install the OS. It should then correctly install to the C: drive as designed..

And now that you've got the NTLDR message, as mentioned in the earlier posts from this thread, I would perform a repair install...Of course, I would remove all other drives and USB devices before running the repair.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I Disconnect All Other Drives Before Installing The OS..
by pintree3 / June 10, 2009 1:52 AM PDT

Now why didn't I think of that? Isn't interesting how many brilliant ideas are that simple, logical even, and yet, they don't come to mind.
The question now is, considering I can't get into windows How do I know which actual physical hard drive contains my C: drive Ah! wait, I can use my Ubuntu Live CD. But then again, since I know very little of Lunix. I'm not sure where to go from here.. Or is there a way of me finding out differently?

thanks for your help

M

Collapse -
Tried Opening The Case...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 11, 2009 3:22 AM PDT

...then check the cabling.. If they are IDE drives, then generally, the primary drive is at the end of the ribbon cable on 80 wire cables and secondary drive is placed on the remaining connector in the middle.. And sometimes, the cable will actually have "master" or "slave" written on the cable near the ribbon cable.

As to which one is the C: drive, disconnecting one of the drives might give you an idea.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
same
by pintree3 / June 12, 2009 3:45 PM PDT

Hi and thanks again

Trying to make sure which part is the "end" of the cable.Would I be correct in assuming that the beginning of it is what is connected to the motherboard, therefore the end is what is the last connector to the HDD.

thanks again

Collapse -
(NT) Correct
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 14, 2009 2:32 PM PDT
In reply to: same
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.