Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

ntbtlog.txt interpretation -- multi Did Not Load Driver mess

by Farmer Karl / March 9, 2008 5:44 AM PDT

I?m trying to track down a reason why my XP Pro has doubled the boot time from 2 to 4 minutes over the last week or so. Nothing seemed to stand out in Bootvis.exe graphics except for a copy of short, 10 second, delays in NIC and network but there did appear to be a two minute ?lull? after initial driver loads and before TSR processes loads that machine CPU and disk usage were close to zero ? in other words what appears to be idle machine time. This ?idle time? would be about the time after the desktop background is displayed but before the desktop icons are displayed. The ntbtlog.txt doesn?t post times but most of the middle of the huge log file is loaded up with ?Did not load driver ?? messages for the same hardware over and over again. Example:
Did not load driver Matrox Millennium G550 - English
Did not load driver CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device
Did not load driver Generic 56K HCF Data Fax Modem
Did not load driver Audio Codecs
Did not load driver Legacy Audio Drivers
Did not load driver Media Control Devices
Did not load driver Legacy Video Capture Devices
Did not load driver Video Codecs
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (L2TP)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (IP)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (PPTP)
Did not load driver Packet Scheduler Miniport
Did not load driver Direct Parallel
Did not load driver Processor
Did not load driver Matrox Millennium G550 - English
Did not load driver CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device
Did not load driver Generic 56K HCF Data Fax Modem
Did not load driver ECP Printer Port
Did not load driver Communications Port
Did not load driver Communications Port
Did not load driver Audio Codecs
Did not load driver Legacy Audio Drivers
Did not load driver Media Control Devices
Did not load driver Legacy Video Capture Devices
Did not load driver Video Codecs
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (L2TP)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (IP)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (PPTP)
Did not load driver Packet Scheduler Miniport
Did not load driver Direct Parallel
Did not load driver Processor
......... over and over again..........
I have not had to dig into XP boot problems up-to-now so I?m not sure whether this repetition of identical ?did not load? messages is normal or it represents a more serious problem. Once booted, my machine still seems to function quite normally.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ntbtlog.txt interpretation -- multi Did Not Load Driver mess
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ntbtlog.txt interpretation -- multi Did Not Load Driver mess
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I agree with a former post which writes...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 9, 2008 5:51 AM PDT

"Just a note on the ntbtlog... that should show the drivers that did *install*, but it also shows the a list of Windows drivers that did *not* install. Windows has a large driver database so it can accommodate a large variety of hardware. You shouldn't be concerned with this unless you are missing drivers for hardware you have installed."

If you look at a few more machines you find more "did not load" entries.

So I'm calling this avenue a dead end. Look elsewhere.
Bob

Collapse -
Try Bootlog XP
by postalet / October 24, 2008 2:01 AM PDT

You might try "Bootlog XP", available at download.com. It is fully functional for 30 days, and shows the load time of all applications at startup. Nice graphical display.

Collapse -
by markfilipak / August 4, 2012 4:22 PM PDT

I have the same question.
My NTBTLOG.TXT is 1.5 mega-bytes!
It has 17,326 lines.
Of those 17,326 lines, 16,512 lines begin "Did not load driver", and 814 lines begin "Loaded driver".
Of those 814 lines that begin "Loaded driver", 682 are duplicates.
A total of only 132 drivers and services were loaded.

Drivers and services fit into groups. Those groups must be loaded in a particular order. Within a group, the drivers may also have a load order. When a driver is found in the Windows registry (example: [HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip]), a value=data pair (example: "DependOnService"="IpSec") can specify that the load must wait until a more fundamental service is in place (example: Tcpip waits until IpSec has been loaded).

Well, it would be reasonable for the loader to traverse the registry and build a table of drivers & services to be loaded, then as it finds each driver's & service's file specification, it scoreboards it and assigns a sort prefix. Then it sorts the table and does the loading.

Windows apparently doesn't do that. It apparently traverses the driver & service list in looping fashon and doesn't make a scoreboard. It apparently proceeds by trial and error, tossing a driver or service over its shoulder if its dependency driver or service hasn't already been loaded. When the list is exhausted, it turns around to the discard pile it threw over its shoulder and repeats. It continues to do that until, when it turns around, there's no pile left. (Actually, what I've just described is more efficient than what Windows is apparently doing because as I go down the "Did not load driver" list I see new entries being added that weren't in the list before. So it appears that Windows isn't even waiting to get a list created.)

At least, this is how it looks to me, but your mileage may vary.

Collapse -
by markfilipak / August 4, 2012 5:02 PM PDT

Disregard some of what I wrote above. I didn't realize I was looking at many differing logs concatenated together. The only thing that separates them is a heading like this: " Service Pack 3 8 4 2012 18:35:39.375".
Farmer Karl must have been looking at multiple logs without knowing it.

Taking just one log, I have 148 lines (not counting the heading). 10 of them did not load drivers, 138 did.

What I wrote about load order is correct, though.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.