Desktops forum

General discussion

(NT) Windows versus Mac

by pastle / August 28, 2005 8:47 PM PDT

Not sure where to post this. I intend to get a new PC next year and don't know if I should get the new Windows or get a Mac.
I have always wondered if I should have gone Mac. I have had 7 computers and all my software is Windows, but I have read so much about how stable the Mac is and am so tired of trojan hourses, etc.
Will the new Windows be all that much more stable than the previous versions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: (NT) Windows versus Mac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: (NT) Windows versus Mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When Oprah becomes CEO of Microsoft....
by jrmar07 / August 29, 2005 12:24 AM PDT

If Microsoft continues to follow the reoccuring pattern, then no, Windows Vista will not be more stable than the previous versions. Vista will be released with as many holes, security bugs, vurnerabilities, etc. as XP did. Already we see that their have been many viruses made that target Vista. Then after 3-4 years Microsoft will release Service Pack 2 for Vista with their patches and updates. As I see it, it is probably safer to stay with Windows XP SP2 than to go with Vista. Maybe after 5 years I may make the switch. But Vista will be too holey for me right now. I too have considered going Mac.

Collapse -
When Oprah becomes CEO of Microsoft..
by jcrobso / August 29, 2005 3:32 AM PDT

LOL, I was thinking "when pigs fly" but you nailed it.
Just go back and read all the "NEW" things that Longhorn...errr, Vista (A rose by any other name would still have thorns) was suppost to have in it.
And look at how much has been taken out buy the time the first beta came out!!!
By the time is comes out in Decamber of 2006 it may be just new "curtians" for XP.
I've got a copy of SUSI linux and thinking about buying a MAC mini. John

Collapse -
Thanks guys!
by pastle / August 29, 2005 5:04 AM PDT

I have thought a lot about getting a Mac but have so much windows software that I would miss. And I have been looking at Macs online and they do not offer many systems. Also they don't have Mac stores in my area to check them out.

Collapse -
i'm a pc person...
by bigygf / August 30, 2005 11:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks guys!

but the new imac g5 looks great

Collapse -
Looks can be deceptive
by Fouad Bakht / August 30, 2005 12:13 PM PDT
In reply to: i'm a pc person...

But i too, feel strongly about making the switch. But is it a good time to do so specially when intel is being adopted and may remain Apple's future? If buying a mac with intel inside means another PC with OS X then we may just be paying a huge premium for an OS only.

Collapse -
for me i'd never switch...
by bigygf / August 30, 2005 12:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Looks can be deceptive

i'd keep a pc for gaming, at least until a ps3 or xbox2 ever makes it obsolete. as much as i hate this stupid ipod trend that is making everything glossy white, the imac g5 would look great hanging on a wall for web browsing, but i'd have to be pretty rich before i'd go that route

Collapse -
you're right
by bigygf / August 30, 2005 12:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Looks can be deceptive

if things keep going the way they are then there might eventally be a hack for running mac on a pc and then no more apple. maybe apple becomes software only which is more profitable than hardware, the upside would be something like microsoft, the downside would be something like sega. this ipod thing might implode on them, like the zip drive did to iomega

Collapse -
Wait guys! Viruses? Security holes?
by xtuser / September 6, 2005 10:43 AM PDT
In reply to: you're right

The only reason that Windows has a lot of viruses is because it is targeted. Why is it targeted? Because it is more POPULAR.(ooh burn). If Apple became #1, oh god Steve Jobs would be crying his pants off and releasing a new patch like every hour. Nevertheless, you can do way more with a PC, and usually they look better and have more power.

Collapse -
"Mac" stores
by trisor / September 20, 2005 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks guys!

Do they have CompUSA in your area? They sell Macs. And, Apple will continue to expand their retial outlets.

One thing I think people tend to overlook in the "amount of software" argument is functionality. What software do you really use a lot and is there comparable software on the Mac? In many cases, there is software for the Mac that will do what you want, often more intuitively.

I'm pretty much a Mac person but I don't think they are for everybody. If you view your machine as just a tool, stick with Windows. If you really like to have fun with your machine and be creative, think aqbout a Mac.

Plus, despite the continued warnings from the likes of Symantec (who, make their living often viruses and other exploits), there still aren't any real virus or spyware threats on Macs.

Collapse -
CompUSA
by pastle / September 20, 2005 8:12 AM PDT
In reply to: "Mac" stores

We do not have a CompUSA in Maine. I saw the Mac Mini at BestBuy. That was a very week computer. Nothing I wanted.
I have so much Windows software that would cost me too much to replace even if they made these programs for Mac.
I ordered another Dell so the decision is made. I can not afford both so will have to forget the Mac.
Thank you everyone for your answers though.

Collapse -
Windows Vista
by DaSpEcTeR / September 4, 2005 10:31 AM PDT

I would put my money on Windows Vista. Microsoft doesn't want to screw up again. Of course a Mac looks great and is stable, but the price for the power is just too much. You must also keep in mind that Microsoft is a powerful company. I was able to get all of my updates, both SP1 and SP2 free by mail, that in itself is a great advantage. Now it doesn't really matter since I have broadband now. I've also heard that Microsoft is doing their best so that there are no bad values in the Vista code. I'm not saying that Microsoft won't issue a service pack, eventually they will. The thing is hackers try to exploit the Windows code and thus it has to be updated to prevent harm to the user. It's a never ending explotation made possible by the hacking community.

Collapse -
Tired of a Windows World
by C_O_Noble / September 9, 2005 11:32 PM PDT

I grew up with Apple. I had an Apple IIe (one of their first), then a Macintosh SE. I only moved to Windows and PC's in the early 90's because it was the 'business' machine and I was starting a business. I have been in the Windows security patch, blue screen of death, IRQ, MSCONFIG, DOS prompt, tech support hell ever since. I was recently at an Apple Store in SOHO (Manhattan) and I was blown away. I AM getting an Apple. The slight premium I will have to pay is more than worth the time I will not have to spend to reinstall my operating system and all my applications, researching hickups that my machine routinely provide. I will not have to become a computer expert just to do use my computer. If I remember my history correctly it was Microsoft that 'borrowed' the MAC interface (what we know today as windows).

That is my two cents.

Good luck.

-O

Collapse -
Why Windows
by joej6545 / September 10, 2005 12:06 AM PDT

If you want to play games then for sure stay with the toy machine. If you want consistency, no crashes and the best Microsoft has to offer then go with the Mac. It is a no brainer. Even out of the mouth of Bill Gates (I am paraphrasing) -It is the best computer I have seen. That was some time ago. It is even better now.

Collapse -
Windows vs Mac
by pastle / September 10, 2005 9:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Why Windows

Thanks everyone, I have just about decided to stay with Windows. I have been researching the Mac online. I am not a big gamer but I have so many programs that would need to be replaced and have so much money tied up in them, and most of them are not made for Mac.
There seems to be a big lack of software for the Mac, even though it looks to be a terrific machine.
Still can't stop thinking about it though.

Collapse -
Same Boat
by cjuricic / September 11, 2005 12:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows vs Mac

I feel the same way. I want to get a Mac but it would be just too expensive to replace programs. Have you thought of Virtual PC. A lot of Mac people say it is the way to go, I have never tried it though. It seems to me that it would be full of problems, but maybe someone on here can give a recomendation.

Collapse -
Virtual PC
by pastle / September 11, 2005 6:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Same Boat

I have read that using Virtual PC would give the same problems as Windows does.

Collapse -
Just get a Mac...
by nmsg5 / September 11, 2005 4:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Same Boat

And just leave your windows PC where it is, you don't have to replace your programs, let it be there when you need it. Just get a Mac, and it will make you happy. Say if you're using MS Office on your PC, just install the Mac version of it and you're communications with your PC friends who are Office users will have no glitches. The Adobe on your PC can share files with Adobe in my Mac, no problem at all. I use PC for my AutoCad works becausde they're not supported by Apple (but how I wish they are) and some PC games, other than that I use Mac all the time, music, photos, video editing, etc., the ease of use is just amazing. I would recommend an iMac G5 20" for a desktop, the problem with these guys is, they are so good lookin' you don't wanna put you old junk beside it Happy

Collapse -
Three years switched
by neilley / September 16, 2005 4:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows vs Mac

There's no reason to throw away your PC if you go Mac. Keep it for playing games or whatever. I'm not a gamer. I need a computer that keeps working so that I can do the same, and the Mac has done that for three years now. It will on Intel chips, too. It's the software that works. The box looking cool is a bonus.
robE

Collapse -
Windows versus Mac
by timken / September 11, 2005 3:11 AM PDT

Don't hesitate a minute, get a Mac and you'll stick to a Mac the rest of your life just like I did, and I don't regret it at all.

Collapse -
which mac?
by pastle / September 11, 2005 6:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows versus Mac

What kind of Mac did you get? I was thinking of the new iMac if I got one.

Collapse -
By all means get a Mac
by nmsg5 / September 11, 2005 8:33 AM PDT

Specifically get an iMac 20" G5, you're not going to regret it. I use Windows XP for my other desktop and Qosmio XP MCE for mobility, because I have to use AutoCad for my work. But other than that, Mac OSX is a lot better.

Collapse -
Don't listen to us ramble and rave!!!!!
by xtuser / September 13, 2005 12:51 PM PDT
In reply to: By all means get a Mac

Just try both and see what you like! I'm sick and tired of Windows vs. Mac!

Collapse -
Right on, xtuser
by neilley / September 16, 2005 4:27 AM PDT

How else can you tell?

Collapse -
me too
by linkit / September 16, 2005 8:13 AM PDT

The last time Windows vs. Mac kept me up at night was over a decade ago. It was between a PowerMac6100/66MHz and a Gateway Pentium I 66MHz. Been sleeping very well ever since.

Collapse -
NT Windows vs. Mac
by riteon / September 16, 2005 9:29 AM PDT

I've been a windows user for years home & at work. I went to an Apple store & was blown away. There is software out there for the Mac. Also I transferred most of my windows programs to my laptop. I'm going with a powermac G5. Just working with the Mac,speed, Tiger OS is a revelation. Also despite Intel in the future,Apples will still have the Apple OS.

Collapse -
PC Vs. Mac
by josh516 / September 18, 2005 8:27 AM PDT

Personally id say stick with a pc. It has a lot more software for it, costs less and you can upgrade for relitively cheap, iv used my AMD motherboard for 5 yrs + upgraded the processor twice, same for ram, ect. Can't do that with a mac.

As for the new Microsoft OS, their testing it quite thorough and should be safer than Win XP. As for dropping some stuff, yes they did drop a few items, however they are going to release some of those things later, such as the new filing system, as a seperate download.

So for me, ill stick with a pc.

Collapse -
Thanks everyone
by pastle / September 18, 2005 8:26 PM PDT
In reply to: PC Vs. Mac

I appreciate all of your comments. I have decided to get another Dell. The 9100.
If they had a Mac store anywhere in my area where I could really check it out I may have purchased the Mac that has always looked and sounded so good.
I could not afford to get one just to check it out and I will probably always wonder if I should have gone Mac in the first place.

Collapse -
Frys
by OrionLeingod / September 21, 2005 6:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks everyone

If you have a frys in your area, they usually carry mac. Thats the first time since high school i got to touch a mac. And if not for 90% of the programs i use being windows only, i would have to go for a mac.

Collapse -
PC Vs. Mac
by jcrobso / September 19, 2005 4:34 AM PDT

"As for the new Microsoft OS, their testing it quite thorough and should be safer than Win XP. As for dropping some stuff, yes they did drop a few items, however they are going to release some of those things later, such as the new filing system, as a seperate download."

Wait, are you talking about longhorne?? I mean Windows Vista???????( A rose by any other name would still have thorns) A product that is STILL 14 months away from bening released???? The ball has been dropped so much it has spent more time on the ground than in the air. Even M$ doesn't know what the final Vista will be like, just some vague ideas.
By the way M$ is tring to make Vista look like MAC OSX Tiger and Apple will relase a new version of OSX in December of 2006. Go for the MAC. John

Collapse -
In response
by josh516 / September 21, 2005 11:50 AM PDT

Windows Vista (longhorn was the code name before the picked the actual name) is being released the 3rd quarter next year, not 14 months away.
As for not knowing how it will turn out, well yes it will change quite a bit, thats what alpha + beta testing, not to mention release candidates are for, to find what works best, fix what needs fixing + change featues that people may want or not want.
As for looking like OSX, perphaps a few featues of mac will make it into Vista, but any company will do the same, take the best of their competitors stuff + add their own stuff on to be better than the competitor.

Have fun with your PC.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.