Audio & Video Software

General discussion

now PC to HDTV via HDMI...so what windows settings?

by worster / April 1, 2008 4:50 AM PDT

Got a new vid card so that I can connect my media center pc to my HDTV via HDMI. Yay! Hooked in, and I'm ready to watch some HD files from my hard drive... Mmm, blue planet... now what windows settings do I want? Is the highest resolution best (1920 x ?)? Native resolution for the TV (1300ish?x ?) Something else? Refresh rate as high as I can get it?

I'm a lil short on specs as I'm at the office, but let me know if thats necessary. Also, I have vista.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: now PC to HDTV via HDMI...so what windows settings?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: now PC to HDTV via HDMI...so what windows settings?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HDTV
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 1, 2008 11:24 AM PDT

I was doing some testing with a similar HDTV and found that a video frame of 1280 x 720 did a good job.

High resolution (like 1920 x ???) comes with a penalty of large file sizes with little difference in appearance.

High Refresh Rate ... I can't see that being necessary.
Keep it normal to start with.
Try it later, after you get everything else worked out.

What brand/model video card are you using?
I was looking at some specifications and found them vague about the type of HD connector.

Collapse -
specs
by worster / April 2, 2008 11:08 AM PDT
In reply to: HDTV

1280x720 is beter than i was doing before the card - but will a higher res (1920 x 1080)be more detail (when possible, as limited by the file of course) when i play movies?

New vid card is a (ATI) VisionTek Radeon HD 3450. 512Mb mem, PCIexpress, directX 10.1, and a decoder for HD/Bluray. 1xHDMI+1xVGA+1xDual link DVI outputs, of which i'm using the HDMI to my HDTV.

Collapse -
HD specs
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 5, 2008 1:46 AM PDT
In reply to: specs

Your description of your television set, sounds like you have a 720p television.

High Definition 720p television sets use signals of 1280 x 720.

On a 720p television set, there is no advantage to sending a signal bigger than that.

If you have a 1080p television set, it can use a signal up-to 1920 x 1080.
But the only current source of such a large signal is Blu-Ray DVD players.
A 1080p television still receives a 1280 x 720 signal from antenna or satellite.

It will be a long long time before you will get a 1920 x 1080 signal from the television broadcasters. It requires too much bandwidth.
They are having to use heavy compression to handle 1280 x 720.
And you sometimes see that signal break-up on fast action scenes.

The experts say that 1080p television sets smaller than 42 inch really don't benefit much from the Blu-Ray output (1920 x 1080).
1080p Televisions larger than 42 inches do benefit from the Blu-Ray output (1920 x 1080).

Collapse -
TV Specs
by worster / April 6, 2008 4:46 AM PDT
In reply to: HD specs

It's a 42" LCD 1080i, I'm afraid.

The tv signal is still Standard Def (and comes in via dish coaxiel, so no resolution settings apply, there), but the computer files I'm trying to play (via HDMI) are 720p or 1080i/p (depending on which file). And I know that if the file is encoded at 1080p, i'm still only getting 1080i at best, but my interest is in playing my system at it's max. I've put in the work, and now I want the wow factor!

Last night I was playing some of the files, and either got a split line in the middle of the screen (though only durring a size maxamized/theater mode picture, or the audio would quickly get ahead of the video. I'm homping the latter is a file encoding issue, and that the former isn't RAM. I just maxxed the board to 4Gb of RAM. I'm beginning to wonder if I should just get a Bluray drive or seperate bluray player, but it would be a lot less convieniant in a lot of ways - mainly, cost!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.