Speakeasy forum

General discussion

NOW it snows - 24 hours late, IMO!

by Paul C / December 25, 2012 6:01 PM PST

It just started here in central Indiana, and before it's over, we're supposed to get 8-10 inches, complete with high winds and near blizzard conditions.

Welcome to winter.... Sad

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NOW it snows - 24 hours late, IMO!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NOW it snows - 24 hours late, IMO!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Actually, I was hoping for light ground cover Christmas Eve
by Steven Haninger / December 25, 2012 7:45 PM PST

but with a clear sky. We go to church late that evening and the beauty of it take away some of feeling of cold as we walk from the car past the luminary candles. The full moon will be in a couple of days. Maybe we'll still have a clear night on the fresh snow that I can view safe and warm from behind the living room window. Happy

Collapse -
Heck it's real winter, finally
by Willy / December 26, 2012 2:13 AM PST

This is the type of winter i plan for. I do this or that and basically get stuff or run around hoping I did OK. The last few yrs. have been too nice. Now, the summer bugs will die and finally soak the ground with water and refill the Great Lakes and all that. Now to get some movies before the power is lost. ------Willy Happy Ohio snow bound

Collapse -
We're supposed to get 1-2 feet tonight
by Diana Forum moderator / December 26, 2012 4:43 AM PST

with all that other stuff.

Collapse -
we had snow here in Maryland
by James Denison / December 26, 2012 5:28 AM PST
Collapse -
About 3-4 in central Ohio of very great snow
by Steven Haninger / December 26, 2012 5:38 AM PST

for snowballs. Packs well and I expect the kids out of school will have some snowmen up soon.

Collapse -
Call the Cops!!!!
by JP Bill / December 26, 2012 6:16 AM PST

Someone across from you is parked on the wrong side of the street. Unless it's one of your vehicles then disregard.

Collapse -
by James Denison / December 26, 2012 6:37 AM PST
In reply to: Call the Cops!!!!

nobody cares, so long as it's not in middle of street. Also dead end road, so makes more sense to face up the road.

Collapse -
Also dead end road, so makes more sense to face up the road.
by JP Bill / December 26, 2012 6:59 AM PST
In reply to: residential

Please explain how that logic works for 2 vehicles facing different directions.

Collapse -
do you mean that old black pickup?
by James Denison / December 26, 2012 7:01 AM PST

It's a permanent fixture, even has grass growing during the warm season in the truck bed, maybe from a rotted bale of hay in back of it. So long as it's registered and tagged, it has a legal right to sit there.

Collapse -
City I use to live in had similair ordinance
by Roger NC / December 26, 2012 10:54 AM PST

you couldn't have an unlicensed vehicle in the yard, even a brand new one.

Of course, it it was a wreak and was parked backed into the drive, they didn't bother to check.

But a neighbor had a car he started cutting down himself in his yard, thought he could make it a convertible in his spare time. He got the roof off, had the hood and trunk lid laying beside it, but they couldn't touch it because he had tags on it. It sat that way for almost a year.

Collapse -
RE: do you mean that old black pickup?
by JP Bill / December 26, 2012 11:15 AM PST

Why focus on the black pickup? now that you've told us "Also dead end road, so makes more sense to face up the road."...The pickup is properly parked....parked on the right/correct side and pointed in the direction of traffic.

What about the other truck...the grey/light...on the wrong side and going against the traffic? I suppose they have chickens roosting in that one, and they are waiting until the chicks are older before they move it.

Collapse -
that one is due to weather
by James Denison / December 26, 2012 1:54 PM PST

If you are expecting snow, sleet, icing, best then to be facing the direction out of neighborhood, not pointed to dead end down the hill where you'd also have to turn around and make run up the hill on ice just to get back where you were.

Collapse -
by JP Bill / December 26, 2012 6:57 PM PST

The weather determines which side of the road you drive on in Maryland....I have to remember to steer clear on that state.

Note to self......Stay on the landward side of MD, when driving by.

Collapse -
(NT) Got about 1 1/2 feet in my yard. Still shoveling
by Diana Forum moderator / December 27, 2012 12:52 AM PST
Collapse -
No shovel but headaches anyways
by Willy / December 27, 2012 3:51 AM PST

All yr. my tractor started w/o a hitch. Now, it won't start and I parked it quite a ways from an AC outlet to help charge the battery. This is the one w/o the solar charger that helps maintain charge. Now, I got to trek through snow and "sssstrech the cord to reach it. The only good news is I'm in no hurry to go anywhere. I ran around to get everything before the snow fell, boy are my legs tired. These are the times, I wished I retired in the desert. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
My first storm this year
by JP Bill / December 27, 2012 4:52 AM PST

A couple weeks ago, I have a lawn tractor with snowthrower attachment. Same drive belt for years...put a new belt on that had the correct part number....lasted about 15 minutes and it came off the .pulleys. Put the old belt on finished the driveway. Out today for the second time this winter 6" so far...just trying to keep ahead so I don't have too much to do tomorrow. Probably get another 10 " tonight.

Collapse -
old belt was stretched
by James Denison / December 27, 2012 12:51 PM PST

new belt therefore too otight. Makes them twist off. Overseas I had an old belt I couldn't get replacement from for a month, it started slipping. I put syrup on it. Quit slipping. Smelled pretty good under the hood too. Wink New belt arrived and so I waited to see when the old one would slip again. Months later I got tired of waiting and just changed it anyway.

Collapse -
RE: new belt therefore too tight. Makes them twist off.
by JP Bill / December 27, 2012 6:54 PM PST
In reply to: old belt was stretched

When the machine was "new" it didn't twist off...Why not?

Was the belt pre-stretched when entire unit was new? I don't think so.

Speculation...on the cause. All I know is the belt came off and it's working now.

Collapse -
by James Denison / December 28, 2012 12:48 AM PST

a belt loosens, a person tightens it up with the adjuster, then later when it breaks, they "shoe horn" a new one on without adjusting it and being too tight it twists around (especially "V" belts) and flies off after a bit.

Collapse -
People don't realize a belt should never be pried on
by Roger NC / December 29, 2012 12:09 AM PST
In reply to: sometimes

if you can avoid it at all by adjusting tension device or even the moving one pulley then readjusting.

When you pry a belt over a pulley you often break some of the longitudal cords in the belt, weakening it and shortening it's life.

Collapse -
by James Denison / December 29, 2012 2:45 AM PST

goes from a belt to a rubber band fairly quickly. People do it though when in a hurry.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.