Windows Vista forum

Question

"Notification Area" Icons missing How do I get them back??

by sookgah / September 7, 2011 12:57 PM PDT

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">
9-7-11
Hello everyone,

First off, I need to tell you that I'm computer illiterate & only know enough to be very, very dangerous!

1..Computer: HP Pavilion Elite m9040n PC with an HP 19" w2408h Vivid Color Windscreen Flat-panel Monitor with BrightView panel, OS = Windows Vista

2...I had trouble with computer being very SLOOOOOW at startup & accessing sites, etc.

3...After some time I was able to fix the slowness with various clean ups, defrags, registry cleaning/ fixing etc

4...I later noticed after solving my problem, that several of my icons in the "notification area" on the bottom task bar were not there.

4a....I then clicked in the notification area & then properties, then "notification area"..that screen had "icons" & if I clicked on the box to "hide inactive icons" the customized box let me click on it. this gave me a list of current & past icons. In the past icon list were my "caps lock off" & num lock on"... both indicated that they would "hide when inactive" ...so I changed them to be "show". I then clicked "ok" & then "apply" on the prev tab "notification area"....unfortunately this didn't help at all..

4b...I then decided to go back to a restoral point where I believed the icons were present but was also hoping that the "slowness problem" wouldn't come back....I got good news & bad news...1st the good...the slowness didn't come back...the bad news neither did the icons for caps lock & numbers lock...I tried several different restoral points. NOTHING !!
!
4c.. I also searched the computer for 'caps" or "capital" "icons" with results that didn't address this "notification" area (I never knew what this part of the desk top was called; but now I do!!!) ...NO HELP HERE!!

thanks

P.S. I hope this question is clear & I hope that someone out there can help me...every computer I've ever had, has had the caps lock off &num lock on and I'm all out of sorts w/o them. Unfortunately, my keyboard doesn't have a light to also let me know if caps is on or off (an old keyboard of mine but that keyboard has gone to the great beyond of 1's & o's)

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Notification Area" Icons missing How do I get them back??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Notification Area" Icons missing How do I get them back??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
We'll have to know a little more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2011 1:01 PM PDT

Which notification icon is missing?

Pick ONE and let's try to fix ONE.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
?which icon?
by sookgah / September 8, 2011 12:31 AM PDT

the "Caps Lock Off" icon

Collapse -
Re: caps lock item
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 8, 2011 12:54 AM PDT
In reply to: ?which icon?

Does this apply: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/905641.htm
It's not a Vista thing, it's an HP thing!

Then the Control Panel applet mentioned is the place to enable it again. But, of course, it could very well be that all your cleaning and fixing (now that's very, very dangerous!) has somehow removed it in such a way that you can't enable it again.
Then you'll have to start using the keys on your keyboard.

Kees

Collapse -
I have a HP that does that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2011 1:13 AM PDT
In reply to: ?which icon?

It's not a Vista feature but added with some app from HP. See Kees reply.
Bob

Collapse -
re: Kees reply
by sookgah / September 8, 2011 2:47 AM PDT

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">i check the other forum discussion that Kees was kind enough to find & recommend...the problem that person
had was that she wanted to get rid of Caps Lock, Scroll Lock in the notification area & the instructions worked out to do that...but I figured I'd see what I might be able to do.

so i clicked:
Start (bottom left corner) -->Control Panel -->Programs and Features -->HP ON-SCREEN CAP/ NUM/ SCROLL LOCK INDICATOR

When I right clicked on that, I was given the choice to "uninstall or change". I clicked on that box hoping that it would give me a chance to either "uninstall" or "change"...but it only came back with an "uninstall" box...I did click that ...again hoping I'd get a CHOICE TO CHANGE but it only asked if I really wanted to uninstall the program...so I clicked no & here i am....STILL STUCK!!!

Does this mean that I can't really make the icons come back???? Could I uninstall the program & then re-install it...does anyone know where I can get the program to download it again??? To me, it's so easy just to look at my desktop to see if caps are on or off,...many time I forget that I just put them on & then I'll continue to type in caps when I don't want to or when I enter an user id or password it's not accepted because of the caps lock being on or off !

P.S. Last nite I watched a favorite "old" movie of mine...WAR GAMES...and surely if Matthew Broderick, back in 1983, can hack into an US TOP SECRET MILITARY site...someone can help me with this? I know for a fact that 2011 computers & computer people are so much more intelligent/knowedgeable/ experienced/versed than way back then.

Collapse -
Remember it's not a stock OS feature.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2011 4:59 AM PDT
In reply to: re: Kees reply

So we rely on HP to offer some reinstall or fix. Did you head to HP.COM and see if some app is there on the downloads that looks like it restores this feature?
Bob

Collapse -
Hacking into War Games computer is SIMPLE ...
by Edward ODaniel / September 9, 2011 10:12 AM PDT
In reply to: re: Kees reply

because it was well scripted and everyone played with the same script.

What you want isn't something Microsoft wrote for Vista but something that HP added as a personal third party add-on.

You haven't even told us whether you have 32 bit Vista or 64 bit Vista nor what Service Pack level you are at (and those items apply should the problem have been able to lay off on Microsoft which we can't do).

Follow this link and take care of the problem (try the third post FTP file download link):
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-systems-and/HP-On-Screen-Cap-Num-Scroll-Lock-Indicator/td-p/6244/page/2

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.