Phones forum

General discussion

Notepad Needed - Cell Phone or Netbook ???

by cajungirl45 / December 20, 2009 12:26 PM PST

My husband uses his Notepad for notes on his cell phone for work and it is already filled up. What would be the best choice to get him for future notes? Cell Phone or Netbook ???? If Cell phone how can I find out how big is Notepad and what company to get with???
He does NOT need email/internet at work as he is enroute in van during days.

Anybody with info is appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Notepad Needed - Cell Phone or Netbook ???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Notepad Needed - Cell Phone or Netbook ???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First find out...
by Pepe7 / December 20, 2009 12:29 PM PST

...exactly which cell phone he has currently and the software he uses to take notes. Knowing which wireless carrier he's currently on might help too if a simply device upgrade is prudent.

Collapse -
Notepad needed
by cajungirl45 / December 20, 2009 2:05 PM PST
In reply to: First find out...

We both have Virgin Mobile prepaid service.
So we are looking to get a service with phone that has adequate notepad. even if we go to another carrier. Problem is I can't seem to locate size of notepad capabilities.

I thought maybe an IPhone but it seems one needs to sign up for apps and service which he doesn't need. Basic notepad is what he needs..no internet, no email...I am looking for whatever would fit this need.

Collapse -
Please define 'notepad'
by Pepe7 / December 21, 2009 12:18 AM PST
In reply to: Notepad needed

Just to be 100% clearn, you mean (literally) an ability or app such as what's commonly found on Windows PCs(?) [=notepad.exe]

It sounds like he has saved so many 'notes' that the internal memory is full. He might want to purge in the meantime ;). Are you certain the handset does not allow an external memory card to be added(?) Even some 'dumbphones' would allow you to save to external memory cards (microSD format, typically). Even my parents two Nokia flip phones allow this. A $5 2GB microSD card inserted into the phone would permit thousands of notes to be taken/saved if desired.

Maybe look at something like the LG Rumor 2 w/ full keyboard for easier notetaking. Visit a store to verify that it contains the necessary software your husband needs. Here's a link-
http://www.amazon.com/LG-Rumor-Prepaid-Virgin-Mobile/dp/B002L152FY

Collapse -
Notepad Needed on Cell Phone
by cajungirl45 / December 21, 2009 3:24 AM PST

His phone does not have microSD card capability. Would this allow him to save notes???? Please pardon my "naive" with this question...but I'm not sure the phone card will save NOTES..I know they save MUSIC, but not sure about notes...

Can you let me know if they save NOTES?????

I have looked at several phones but unable to determine size of Note capability thus far...

Collapse -
Yes
by Pepe7 / December 21, 2009 4:35 AM PST

It's basically an expansion of the storage capacity of what's built into cellular phones. Hypotheticaly, if permitted by the handset, he could save notes there. Now, the real trick is, finding a particular handset with the ability to not only work with the internal memory (typically, this is by default) but also saving to the microSD card.

Is there a local retailer you could visit? The other idea I had was to ask in one of the pre-paid handset sub-forums @ howardforums.com. Or even the LG forum there to ask if the Rumor 2 does what I hope it does (see link in prior reply). There is probably also a section there concerning question surrounding virginmobile prepaid handsets. Sorry I can't help much since I haven't used one. I wonder if they have firmware that cripples some of the functionality(?)

Collapse -
Notepad Frustration
by cajungirl45 / December 21, 2009 5:04 AM PST
In reply to: Yes

I have already put in request on LG Support to answer the question of saving to Notepad and SD Card.

The answer by first tech (to be verified in next hour) is that it doesn't store text just video, music, pic,
but it stores 1000 messages; but how big is the question I will have answered shortly.

What I'm thinking is he could use the text message function to store notes?? I don't know I just want a phone that will store adequate notes...

There are so many choices out there...I really don't know which to pick at this point..

Perhaps I could get Sprint service Lowest Plan amt and just see how the phone fairs out for his usage.

Collapse -
LG support won't help you
by Pepe7 / December 22, 2009 12:38 AM PST
In reply to: Notepad Frustration

Posting a detailed inquiry @ howardforums.com is a better choice for such granual level information on a handset. LG doesn't make any money helping you in this regard ;).

I wouldn't use SMS for notes since that requires a fee per message. Also, keep in mind in your case it seems like you need to nail down a particular handset/feature prior to finding a carrier. Let me poke around in the LG manuals online to see if the phone I listed above can handle such 'notetaking'.....

Collapse -
The Rumor 2
by Pepe7 / December 22, 2009 4:46 AM PST
In reply to: Notepad Frustration

It does have a notepad function. I just checked online. You will want to inquire w/ someone at howardforums or possibly another forum dealing with virginmobile prepaid to see if that functionality has been retained.

Collapse -
Notepad
by cajungirl45 / December 23, 2009 2:29 PM PST
In reply to: The Rumor 2

Pepe thank you for your help...I did check with Virgin Mobile and yes it has retained this Notepad feature..so I am going to order this LG Rumor 2!

However I will further go to the forum you mentioned for further/future info.

Collapse -
SAMSUNG CORBY TXT
by CHAD2420 / June 7, 2010 4:21 AM PDT

I bought this phone along with an SD card. Only a few days later the notepad was full and impossible to use the SD card to write notes. Apparently, the SD card is meant to store pictures and musi but who cares ? And they call these smartphones !!

Collapse -
federal student loan consolidation
by tomcruise01 / January 3, 2010 12:55 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.