Laptops

General discussion

Notebook with Serial Port (RS232)?

by pete_pisc / October 24, 2004 12:35 AM PDT

I have a special need for a notebook that has a native RS232 port. I use it for shipboard marine electronics where the standard interface is a plain old fashioned RS232 port. The USB/Serial adapters are not totally reliable.

Any thoughts on finding a laptop/notebook with a native Serial Port?

Thanks in advance - Peter, CA

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Notebook with Serial Port (RS232)?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Notebook with Serial Port (RS232)?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Notebook with Serial Port (RS232)?
by KenSanramon / October 24, 2004 12:41 AM PDT

To get a 'legacy' serial port without using a USB to serial adaptor you either have to get an older notebook or many business models will likely still have them (as they are more likely to have legacy devices).

So check IBM notebooks, HP or Compaq business notebooks (hp.com) or Toshiba Techra notebooks, etc.

You are more likely to find this and other legacy ports there but you will lose firewire on many busines notebooks that have it on consumer notebooks (but nearly all new machines will have USB 2.0)

Collapse -
by pete_pisc / October 24, 2004 12:51 AM PDT

Thanks Ken - fully aware of the legacy issues. Toshiba, Compaq, etc offer some native RS232 with addition of a port replicator. Just thought someone may know of a niche builder who still includes a Serial port onboard.

Peter

Collapse -
by sheilakmcd / October 26, 2004 8:03 PM PDT

I know a lot of people don't like them, but Sager models 3790 and 4380 have onboard RS232 serial ports.

Collapse -
by K_ram / November 24, 2004 1:43 PM PST

Hi,
I too need a RS-232 port for a similar project.Could someone point out a Sub 1000$ Notebook that qualifies.

Thanks,

Ram

Collapse -
For k-ram.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2004 10:41 PM PST

The USB RS232 device I noted was obtained for under 9 bucks and solved this issue in our labs.

As to serial port on laptops, I'm a bit dazed that you don't head on down to the store and see if any have such.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) you can use HP NC8432, part# RB554UT#ABA
by ming5678 / June 11, 2007 11:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
Serial Port RS232 suggestion
by gric111 / December 5, 2007 2:38 AM PST

i currently use serial ports on my laptop for specialized color equipment and usb plugs dont work and the older laptops are becoming hard to find( we get maybe 20 a year and sell them off with the instruments) however we discovered a great PCMCIA card by a company named quatech that functions just fine with it and offers the ability to move it from computer to computer with ease the card costs about 100 bucks but i still prefer to get laptops with them built in. usually ibm if available. Dell has been nothing but garbage, and hp/compaq was ok as well. for laptops we usually got them from laptopcloseout.com they are based in canada but have great quality products and usually the little intel inside sticker being smudged is the only way you can tell its not a new laptop when you look at it

Collapse -
"quatech" = Yup, used to use those.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2007 2:43 AM PST

But since the serialio and Belkin (if you can find them) work fine I haven't seen the need to pop for any more quatechs. But it is a fine suggestion and works for those that can't find the others.

I'm unsure about the laptop comments. We must have hundreds of those makes at the office. They seem fine.

Bob

Collapse -
No Problem for Laptop RS232
by plcwiz / February 29, 2008 3:10 AM PST

Try the Dell Latitude 610 Core2Duo processors with native RS232 port. Available with 4GB of ram and lots of battery life. Perfect for marine programming. Moderate ruggedness, typical from Dell. Just bought 2 for same industry. Cost From $900-2500 depending on customizations.

Collapse -
Laptops with Serial Port (9)
by dirk_veltronics / August 27, 2009 9:40 AM PDT

Fujitsu Lifebook E Series Has serial Ports and very good Laptop

Collapse -
Serial rs-232 port on laptop still available in 2010
by trickytech / May 3, 2010 1:22 AM PDT

Toshiba Laptop that has a serial rs-232 port is a Toshiba Tecra A-11 model ptseoc-oopoon.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by jontyler2k / September 20, 2010 4:06 AM PDT

Thanks for the Toshiba info!

Collapse -
Serial Port RS232 Laptop.
by StorminProtection / July 8, 2011 7:53 AM PDT

If you need one, I can sell you one...but a word of caution.
If you do get one, do not as for Windows 7 64 bit, rather ask for Windows 7 32 bit. 64 bit has problems with driver issues. 32 bit does not.

I can sell you a new tough book laptop with serial port Wiindows 7 32 bit, for about $1600.00 in that area depending on how much memory you want, how big of a hard drive you need and so forth.

Collapse -
Care to explain this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2011 10:08 AM PDT

I use 4 to 16 USB adapters all at the same time to update firmware in a rack with our apps.

If I tried to do that with 64 bit I fear it would not work as well.
Bob

Collapse -
Notebook with RS232 Serial Port
by theportablepc / February 1, 2012 10:55 PM PST

Hello our company offers semi rugged notebooks with a built in RS232 serial port. You can visit us at www.theportablepc.com and click on our notebooks tab to see our full line of notebooks offering RS232 serial ports.

Thank you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.