Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Notebook (Sony Vaio) running XP won't start, boot; no lights

by alwaystouble / December 3, 2005 2:09 PM PST

Hello,

New here (can't you tell... I come with a problem!)

Sony Vaio V505bx notebook will not start, boot.

Does not make any sounds of any kind.

Lights indicating AC power or charging battery do not light at all (yes, AC is plugged in and functional).

Anybody have any ideas?

Completely dead... what does that mean?

Thanks all.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Notebook (Sony Vaio) running XP won't start, boot; no lights
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Notebook (Sony Vaio) running XP won't start, boot; no lights
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What ever it is
by glb613 / December 3, 2005 7:51 PM PST

it's not good. Is it under warranty?

Collapse -
It's obviously electrical
by odin_the_bloody / December 3, 2005 8:10 PM PST

And my guess would be it's either a bum power supply, or a burned out motherboard.

So, I'd say the other post is pretty much on target. If it's under warranty, get it fixed. Otherwise, it's probably easier to just get a new laptop, for what it'd likely cost to get fixed out of warranty. Sell the thing on eBay to help offset the costs of a new one a little.

Collapse -
electrical?
by alwaystouble / December 4, 2005 2:38 AM PST

i thought it would make some noise or something if it was a power problem.

it is no longer under warranty; Sony wants 699$ to fix system board problem...

maybe should sell and get new one?
or would it be cheaper to fix elsewhere?

thanks.

Collapse -
Included
by odin_the_bloody / December 4, 2005 2:46 AM PST
In reply to: electrical?

Electrical problems include the lack of power.

So, if the system's out of warranty, it's going to cost $700 to fix, and new laptops can be had for around $700 complete with better specs... Unless you've got some sentimental attachment to that one, sell it to someone who might have the knowhow and desire to properly diagnose and fix the problem, use the proceeds to offset the costs of a new one.

Probably won't get too much for a non-functioning laptop, but it's still better than shelling out $700 to get it fixed. If you manage $200, then a new $700 laptop is only $500 out of pocket.

Collapse -
Good points. Do you think...
by alwaystouble / December 4, 2005 3:06 AM PST
In reply to: Included

...it could be electrical, like the actual, physical connection between the AC plug and the plug-in, or where the power meets up with some other part inside?

I realize that sony is going to charge $699 basically no matter what; I wonder if it is something power- electrical-related that could be fixed by someone else for much less...

could i use a meter on some location/part to try to determine if it is a power problem or the more serious motherboard problem?

thanks

Collapse -
Power problem
by stewart6 / December 4, 2005 7:17 AM PST

Hi I posted in your laptop post but in case you didn't read it the symptoms indicate a shorted battery (a common thing with lithium ion batteries. Remove the battery and run on the adapter alone and get back tome.

Collapse -
Re: Power problem
by alwaystouble / December 5, 2005 2:03 AM PST
In reply to: Power problem

Thanks for posting...

I released the battery and plugged in the AC: still nothing: no noises, no led indicator lights showing AC plugged in or anything.

The AC adapter seems to be functioning as it should; it has an led on the plug (right where it goes into the laptop) and it always lights up when the AC adapter is plugged into a wall outlet.

thanks for the idea...

any thoughts are appreciated.

Collapse -
Re
by stewart6 / December 5, 2005 4:52 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Power problem

It doesn'take much to fire an KER.Get a meter and check the adapter output.

Collapse -
OOPS
by stewart6 / December 5, 2005 5:14 AM PST
In reply to: Re

That should be LED and not KER

Collapse -
thanks i'll try it
by alwaystouble / December 6, 2005 1:37 AM PST
In reply to: OOPS

i will see if i can check out the adapter with a meter...

Collapse -
If you haven't already done so.....
by chuckieu / December 6, 2005 5:59 AM PST
In reply to: thanks i'll try it

you should be able to find a schematic for your model on the web to help you tinker.

Collapse -
I have the same problem
by EndlessLight / December 30, 2005 11:24 AM PST

I have the same problem,
My Laptop just wont boot,

Can anyone please help me out

Collapse -
Just try
by Themisive / December 31, 2005 12:09 AM PST

Checking the fuse in the mains plug before you start tinkering. Often you get bad fuses AND bad batteries at the same time.

Just take out the fuse and use an ohmmeter set on the lowest setting across them, if there's no response solution, put a new fuse in, if there is a response, solution put that one in again and THEN try to check the output (it may also be a good idea to see if the wall outlet is switched on as well)

Collapse -
Another Vaio that won't start.
by -NA- / January 25, 2006 10:21 AM PST

I haven?t had any problems with my Vaio for two years until last week when it failed to start. The power light lit up briefly and then nothing; no lights, noise, or anything. I took the screws out and tried the power again and it started. The unit was turned on and off several times that day with no problems. When the next morning rolled around, the unit failed to start again. Since I already had the screws out, I took off the keyboard and top cover and looked for any loose connectors. After about five minutes of fiddling, the unit started. The following day, I had a similar experience, as with the day after that. The only pattern I have found is that the unit won?t start when it is cold and that some amount of random fiddling temporarily fixes it. Tomorrow I will simply warm the machine in my hands, without fiddling. Maybe it is just a temperature thing.

Any thoughts?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.