Mac OS

Question

not sure where to post this

by Rhorr77 / February 22, 2013 7:25 AM PST

I have an iMac (2009) Running OS X 10.7.5.

Lately, I get a lot of error messages when I try to play videos. Quite often, when I'm trying to see something on Youtube, it just shuts down and i get a very long error message. I tried installing other internet browsers like Chrome and I'm still getting the same thing...Any ideas?

Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: not sure where to post this
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: not sure where to post this
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Sorry but YouTube fixed, What is this App?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2013 1:40 AM PST

Sorry but it's not standing out in the posts.

Collapse -
Clarification Request
OK. LOTS OF APPS CRASHING.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2013 5:09 AM PST

Given the age tell me about that canned air on your desk. How long since you used it.

Collapse -
canned air?
by Rhorr77 / March 25, 2013 11:09 AM PDT

Is it possible to use compressed air on iMacs?

Collapse -
Let's find out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2013 11:26 AM PDT
In reply to: canned air?

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Just Video or does it crash while
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 22, 2013 7:41 AM PST

doing other things too.

Most of the video on YouTube is Flash Video which is a resource hog on Macs, not just iMacs, and can cause overheating really quickly.

Try joining the HTML5 trial that is going on at YouTube and see if the same crashes happen.
you can join the HTML5 trial by signing into your YouTube account, or get one and sign in, and on the next page check out the "What's new" section
Click on the HTML5 link and from there you can opt in or out of the trial/beta

While you are at it, you might want to check that you have the latest version of Flash installed.

P

Collapse -
Ok
by Rhorr77 / February 22, 2013 8:02 AM PST

I'll try that...if you can explain how to join HTML5 =/

I also downloaded an app for the itunes store yesterday called Tutor for iMovie...that too crashes...

Thanks.

Collapse -
Tried that
by Rhorr77 / February 23, 2013 10:59 PM PST

Didn't work. Actually, I did confirm that my Flash Player is the right one and it seems to be working. I tried opening multiple youtube movies and they all seem to work. However, I have 2 browsers on my iMac, Safari and Chrome and Chrome appeared to have been set as the default...so I changed it back to Safari. When I was checking the latest version of FlashPlayer, Chrome was the browser the iMac was using...and it showed the latest one...so that's why I changed it back to Safari...then checked again. The Safari one was not the right now...so I fixed that. Now, (so far) whenever I watch a youtube video they seem to be working...but I wasn't getting the error with all videos...so I guess I have to monitor that and see if the problem comes back.

Having said that, I am still having problems with the app I downloaded called Tutor of iMovie...that just closes as soon as the page opens and gives me a very long error message...I tried trouble shooting but doesn't seem to want to work. I don't think the tutor thing is opening in a browser...I think its just a video program I downloaded onto my Mac but not sure. How do I check to see if that app is actually in my iMac or opening a browser?

Thanks

Collapse -
Just discovered
by Rhorr77 / February 24, 2013 3:20 AM PST

Other things are crashing as well now. I haven't been going on YouTube but when I last checked it, it was working. However, I am experiencing problems with iPhoto as well. When I try open a pic, iPhoto closes. This obviously isn't specific to YouTube.

So the tutor for iMovie crashes and gives me an error message. iPhoto is doing the same thing, except I don't think it's giving the error message. I stepped out so I can check atm to see if I'm getting an error message but I don't think so.

Oh! Just remembered. I was in iMovie and clicked the help tab. It opened a browser (or what seemed like a browser) to provide a list of a few helpful clips. I can view those clips np but there is an option to open in safari. When I do that, safari crashes/closes and I get an error report.

Then I went into safari settings and changed the default browser to chrome. That works fine...so something wrong with safari? Also, while I had chrome as default browser, I clicked the tutor app thing and it still crashed like before.

I dunno what's going on...getting annoyed though.

Thanks for trying to help.

Collapse -
Answer
Nod to the Flash (!)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2013 7:58 AM PST

See if there is any option to disable hardware acceleration on Flash.

Nod to mrmacfixit!

bob

Collapse -
Read http://www.youtube.com/html5
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2013 8:07 AM PST
In reply to: Nod to the Flash (!)
Collapse -
tried it
by Rhorr77 / February 23, 2013 7:53 AM PST

The youtube HTML5 trial thing did not work. I had been getting these errors for a few months now, but I just figured it was an issue with Youtube because it was the only time I could really say that I noticed it happen. However, yesterday I downloaded an iMac app called tutor iMovie. That opens and shuts down right away and gives me that very long error message again.

That's what spawned me ask here what to do. I have also emailed the creator of that app...but haven't received a response yet... R. Proffitt also suggested I try turning off hardware acceleration, but I have no idea how to do that.

Thanks

Collapse -
Hardware Accelleration.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 23, 2013 8:01 AM PST
In reply to: tried it

Try right clicking on the players screen should be there.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2013 8:06 AM PST
In reply to: tried it
Collapse -
Yes
by Rhorr77 / February 23, 2013 11:04 PM PST
In reply to: Odd.

I have...but again...the problem isn't with Youtube anymore...or so it seems. It's more specific to this particular app but I am still unsure if its opening a browser...but I don't think so.

Collapse -
no
by Rhorr77 / February 23, 2013 11:01 PM PST
In reply to: Nod to the Flash (!)

But in response to mrmacfixit...I think I fixed the Youtube issue now...which is good! But I'm still having problems with this app...Should I cut and paste what it says in the error or is the vital and private information that I should not post here?

Collapse -
No, please don't do that.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 24, 2013 8:05 AM PST
In reply to: no

try this:

Go to System Preferences > Users and Groups and create yourself a new account.
Make the account an Admin account.

Log out of your existing account and log into your new account.

Now launch iPhoto and that iMovie Tutorial. (one at a time)

Crashing still??

P

Collapse -
weird
by Rhorr77 / February 24, 2013 9:53 AM PST

Ok, I did what you suggested. No crashing on the other user. However, iphoto isn't crashing on my main user either now...So, I don't know what happend there....However, the tutor app is still crashing. The error says, "Tutor for imovie quite unexpectedly".

If I see iphoto crash again, I'll see if its a specific photo. It's possible that I have photos spread over a couple different harddrives...maybe some of them can't be found. What if the iphoto library was populated a while back, then some of the photos were moved to a different harddrive...would iphoto recognize that they are now in a different drive? I know that I have been having some problems with itunes but that because I had moved my itunes library to an external harddrive. Now when I sync my iphone to my imac, I always get an error message that some sounds could not be found...But that's a different problem...lets not worry about that one right now lol...!

Collapse -
Moving the pictures from one place to another
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 25, 2013 9:14 AM PST
In reply to: weird

will cause iPhoto to be unable to find them, unless you re-establish the link.

It would not cause iPhoto to crash though.

Did the iMovie Tutorial crash while you were logged in under the other user?

P

Collapse -
ok...back home now
by Rhorr77 / March 25, 2013 11:02 AM PDT

Hello again mrmacfixit. I'm back from my vacation and back to dealing with my iMac. So, I still have a couple issues I need to deal with, but right now I want to focus on one thing...the crashing. So I just logged into the other user account I created (admin status) and opened the iMovie tutor app...or tried too...it too crashes. I also tried opening iphoto. There are some of my iphoto pics in there...around 250 where I have closer to 1500 on my main admin account. It was incredibly slow. Infact, when I tried closing iPhoto...it took a very long time...then I was able to log out of that account and relog back into my main one...the one I'm on now.

Also, I wanted to mention that before I did that I tried iphoto again on my main account...it still crashes, but not right away.

Any ideas?

Collapse -
Do you have a copy of iLife on DVD?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 25, 2013 9:54 PM PDT
In reply to: ok...back home now

If so, you may want to consider deleting iPhoto, after making sure you have a complete backup of your iPhoto library, and reinstalling it

P

Collapse -
no
by Rhorr77 / March 26, 2013 12:09 AM PDT

I can't remember if I ordered my iMac with ilife already installed or not but I can't find the disk. I have iWork and the disk...but not the ilife disk...so I suspect I must have purchased ilife after purchasing my iMac.

How do I get a disk?

Collapse -
Also
by Rhorr77 / March 26, 2013 12:13 AM PDT

The imovie tutor for iMac app still crashes. It's almost like a video processor isn't working properly or video accelerator? I have no idea what the actually terminology is...but something like that. What I need to find out (regarding the iMovie tutor app) is what program is opened when I open the app. Would it be quick time?

As for iphoto, your suggestion of deleting it and reinstalling it sounds like a plan...just need a disk i guess.

Collapse -
found receipt
by Rhorr77 / March 26, 2013 8:24 AM PDT

Looks like I did not buy the imac with ilife. I must have bought it through the app store...any other ideas mrmacfixit?

Collapse -
If purchased from the App Store it should be available
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 26, 2013 10:42 AM PDT
In reply to: found receipt

as a download.
Take a look at Purchases and see it it there.

If it is, see if it is available as a download

P

Collapse -
fixed
by Rhorr77 / April 3, 2013 12:13 PM PDT

I responded in another post as well. I needed to upgrade from Lion to Mountain lion...Actually, I had 2 software updates with lion, which probably would have fixed the issue, but apple tech support suggested just getting mountain lion ($20.00)...fixed!

Collapse -
(NT) Nice to hear
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 3, 2013 9:31 PM PDT
In reply to: fixed
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.