Samsung forum

General discussion

Not supported file format - photos and video on samsung LED

by OhRon / September 24, 2010 7:22 AM PDT

I have a samsung UA40B700, when I go into media player and select photos or video's, it displays the thumbnail but if I go into the video or picture to play on the full screen then I get an error "not supported file format", very frustrating because it the manual says it should play various format's that I have stored on my BlackArmor NAS device, music plays fine. I only have problems with Video and Photos? It does play some coppied DVD's

Current firmware is 2005.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Not supported file format - photos and video on samsung LED
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Not supported file format - photos and video on samsung LED
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not supported file format - photos and video on samsung LED
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 24, 2010 12:13 PM PDT

OhRon,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your TV.

The "File Not Supported" is noting that either the container, video codec, audio codec or resolution may not be supported. The chart listed in the owner's manual notes which containers support which codecs and resolutions for each file.

--HDTech

Collapse -
DLNA and BlackArmor NAS
by jw650 / September 24, 2010 6:40 PM PDT

Did you see this?
http://forums.seagate.com/t5/BlackArmor-NAS-Network-Storage/NAS-220-Media-Server/m-p/39448

It seems Seagate use a proprietary DLNA server (like Samsung!) with very little support. When you get these messages, it MIGHT mean that the codec isn't supported on the TV, but it CAN also mean the NAS isn't set up to serve all the file types the TV supports. You can check the TV's file compatibility by sharing the same files on PC Share Manager or some of the other DLNA servers known to work with the TV.

Collapse -
Samsung LE46C755 with BlackArmor 220
by tamsrud / April 11, 2011 4:57 AM PDT

I have just bought a Samsung LE46C755 (v 3007) LCD TV with DLNA. From before I have a BlackArmor 220 NAS (v 2000.1091 ) witch is a month old. I figured this would be a super solution for us. With wireless dongle I have a TV with no other connections but the power and the antenna.

But I have not got it working at all. All the files report "not supported file format". H264 in MKV, H264 in MP4, DivX in Avi, JPG, MP3. All files that work fine when plugged directly into the TV with USB.

Is there any solution for this?

Collapse -
Found the web page.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2011 9:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
Been there
by tamsrud / April 11, 2011 4:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Found the web page.

I have read that. I have tried a lot of different files, so I cant belive its the codec or the container that is the problem. It also plays perfect when playing directly from an USB disc, but fails when streaming from DLNA server.

Collapse -
DLNA does not support what's in that list.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2011 4:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Been there

I think a lot of folk missed that.

Research DLNA and you find it's quite a short list.
Bob

Collapse -
BTW.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2011 4:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Been there

Sorry I missed the clues in your first post. Remember your question is well discussed. To fix this you'll need a DLNA server that can transcode to what DLNA supports "on the fly." Again, well discussed.

I find most folk will not transcode the content to what works with DLNA.

Most will just hook it up with USB.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.