Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Not playing sound- displays "No audio device"

by Debbie1951 / April 7, 2007 1:01 AM PDT

I have a Toshiba laptop M115-S3094 Satellite with Windows Media It's less than a year old.
In the beginning it ran great. Now I can't get any audio. I tried the Fan in Comcast, it plays the videos, but no sound. I tried a DVD. No sound. I ran the troubleshooter. No help. No music in Windows Media Player either.
There are so many devices on this laptop. I do get the sound when windows opens and closes. I have had sound on the Fan video clips and Windows Media Center in the past. I recently completed the Window authenticity.
Any ideas.
Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Not playing sound- displays "No audio device"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Not playing sound- displays "No audio device"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not playing sound- displays "No audio device"
by Stan Chambers / April 7, 2007 1:41 AM PDT

First, open the volume control to check if the sound is muted. Double click the icon in the taskbar, or go to the control panel, open Sounds and Audio Devices. Click the Audio tab. The device should be listed in Sound Playback. Click the Volume button to display the volume control.

Check to see what the Device Manager reports. (Control Panel/System/Hardware Tab/Device Manager) If you can locate the device in device manager, double click to open the properties card, what does it say, is the device enabled?
If the device has a yellow exclamation mark or question mark beside it, right click, choose uninstall, then reboot the machine and let Windows detect and install the drivers automatically.

If that doesn't work, you can reinstall the driver from the driver cd that came with your computer. You can also download the most current driver from the manufacturers website.
Hope this helps.

Collapse -
I don't know which is my sound device
by Debbie1951 / April 7, 2007 2:00 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply. When I go in the control panel to sounds, speech, and audio devices, and click on "sounds and audio devices" under "volume" it says "no audio device" Under "audio & voice" says "no playback device". Lastly, under "hardware" there are 7 listed devices, all properly working. There is also an icon for Realtek HD sound effect manager.
Thanks for any further help.

Collapse -
That, Debbie, says you are missing sound drivers.
by darclew1 / April 7, 2007 7:18 AM PDT

If you got your computer company name they may have your drivers but you have to download them and install them. If you have a sound card, you need the make and model and the company name to get your drivers.
Darrell

Collapse -
Saw you had RealTek and the last download for cursor flaw.
by darclew1 / April 7, 2007 3:23 PM PDT

It may have affected your sound drivers, it islisted over in Virus and Security forum and lists as ANI flaw, took for GRIF's response were other items could affected. Darrell

Collapse -
Here is the information it
by darclew1 / April 7, 2007 3:36 PM PDT

Known Issue after installing the updates
by Donna Buenaventura - 4/3/07 11:47 AM
In reply to: MS Security Bulletin April 2007 by Donna Buenaventura
As per Microsoft, there is known issue after installing the updates for users of Realtek HD Audio Control Panel:

"After you install this security update on a Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)-based computer, Realtek HD Audio Control Panel (Rthdcpl.exe) may not start. Additionally, you receive an error message that is similar to the following:
Rthdcpl.exe - Illegal System DLL Relocation
The system DLL user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly. The relocation occurred because the DLL C:\Windows\System32\Hhctrl.ocx occupied an address range reserved for Windows system DLLs. The vendor supplying the DLL should be contacted for a new DLL.
For more information about this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
935448 The Realtek HD Audio Control Panel may not start, and you receive an error message when you start the computer: "Illegal System DLL Relocation.""

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=925902

Collapse -
Windows update problems
by jamesforrester / April 8, 2007 2:02 PM PDT

I've experienced a similar situation since Windows update automatically downloaded and modified my drivers last Thursday. The RealTek drivers for Real Player no longer work, neither did the Intel Soundmax driver that was linked with Power DVD. I also experioenced problems getting Power DVD to even run. When I did get it to run there was no sound. My solution was to go back to a system restore point for April 2. This did restore the Sound max and Power DVD does play with a bit of prodding.

Further investigation revealed that:

1. I can no longer read a Data CD.

2. Real Player will NOT play anything, but Windows Media player will play a music CD if prodded manually.

3. The automatic process of simply sticking a CD (Data or Music) or a DVD into the drive, and leaving the computer to select the appropriate software to read it, no longer works.

My DVD/CD Read Write Drive is an ATAPI DVD RW 8Xmax DVD/CD-Rom Drive

It all seems to stem from the update(s) from Microsoft with Windows Genuine Advantage software. Needless to say I'm most unimpressed. Who needs to worry about Hackers if Microsoft can do this much damage to a system.

Since these events occurred there has been another automatic update but I'm not sure what it did. When I checked the computer I could still play a DVD, Real Player did not work, although Windows Media player still did. I still can't read a Data CD.

I will revert to manually downloading updates in future and not doing it automatically.

Any suggestions to solve the Data CD problems and rectify my sound problems permanently, instead of my current makeshift fix will be appreciated.

I am running XP Pro with Service Pack 2 and have been downloading all Security an relevant updates automatically with Windows Update. My last check indicated there were no more updates available.

Computer Hardware is an ASUS P4S800 Motherboard with 512Mb of memory.

I can't help but wonder if this is purely coincidental or whether Microsoft are trying to encourage XP Pro users to graduate to Vista.

From what I have seen to date, Vista still has a lot of driver problems that have not been resolved. Until these issues have been fixed I am not interested in upgrading. But being "stuffed up" by supposed experts is equally frustrating.

Thanks in advance for any replies to this report.

Collapse -
No sound
by Amos16 / April 8, 2007 4:53 PM PDT

Hi James and Debbie, you could try this http://www.driverguide.com/ to see what is missing and needs to be restored. Or you could go back to a restore point to a date before the MS update and make the system work again. I found out, painfully, that automatic updates can be a disaster. At present I ask for them to be sent here and then after I see what they are about I decide to use them, or not. The Genuine Advantage is one of the updates I have blocked permanently, and so have some other users who got burned. Hope this helps - Amos.

Collapse -
Had www.driverguide.com, McAfee SiteAdvisor turns red now
by darclew1 / April 9, 2007 5:33 AM PDT
In reply to: No sound

I can see why for there are many things to go thru to get to it. Darrell

Collapse -
No sound
by Debbie1951 / April 9, 2007 7:30 AM PDT

Well this is interesting. When I got on line today, I received an erro message, I followed it to what you should do. I followed and downloaded what was recommended. I now have sound again????
It was a svchost error. Hope this helps someone else too.
Thanks for all the info.

Collapse -
info on no sound with Realtek
by Debbie1951 / April 11, 2007 2:56 PM PDT

The problem can be due to a new patch (some weeks ago). MS07-017 which fixes a bug. There's a hotfix for it.

Collapse -
no sound
by kbelisle / April 14, 2007 3:32 PM PDT

Can you tell me exactly what you downloaded, where to go, and any info. I am totally frustrated with this no sound issue.
Thanks
Kim

Collapse -
No Sound hotfix
by CarolineHarris / April 15, 2007 4:04 AM PDT
In reply to: no sound
Collapse -
realtek no sound
by kbelisle / April 15, 2007 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: No Sound hotfix

I already used that fix and it still does not work. My icon does not come up in my tray either. It is checked to be there, but is not.
Any other ideas. Hope so.
Thanks
Kim

Collapse -
no sound
by CarolineHarris / April 15, 2007 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: realtek no sound

Hmm... so my sound came back briefly enough to un-mute it, but shortly afterwards the sound device disappeared from the Control Panel again. I did yet another Windows update and re-started, and now the device is back (so far, at least). This also enabled me to re-check the box enabling sound control from the taskbar, which had also disappeared. If this doesn't work, I don't know.

Collapse -
no sound device
by urphonesux / September 14, 2007 4:13 AM PDT

i just installed a sb live value sound card on my computer and before installation i had sound from the built in crystal sound fusion hardware but now there is no sound
ive tried the services adjustment but everything was already enabled and ive went into the enum folder and tried that fix to no avail
im guessing now i should reinstall the sound drivers for the computer but i dont know which one to use
any help would be appreciated

pcwizard tells me that my computer has:
Manufacturer : TriGem Computer, Inc.
Mainboard : TriGem Computer, Inc. COMO3
Bios : American Megatrends Inc.
Chipset : Intel i440LX
Physical Memory : 144 MB SDRAM
ISA Bus : Yes
PCI Bus : Yes
AGP Bus : Yes
USB Bus : Yes
SMBus/i2c Bus : Yes
Bus HyperTransport : No
Bus CardBus : No
Bus FireWire : No

can someone please help me
thanx!

Collapse -
Did you try
by PudgyOne / September 14, 2007 6:26 AM PDT
In reply to: no sound device

services

restart Windows Audio?

Rick

Collapse -
thanx
by urphonesux / September 14, 2007 2:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Did you try

yeah i tried that but it did nothing

Collapse -
DVD playing but no sound
by tadeijagbemi / September 17, 2007 6:36 PM PDT

My DVD is playing but no audio sound

Collapse -
If this is not related to above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2007 11:20 PM PDT

1. Un mute your sound card.
2. Push the volumes up.
3. Reinstall your DVD player software.
4. Run VLC PLAYER if you can't do item 3.

Bob

Collapse -
No audio device - windows xp
by Kennedy08 / February 9, 2008 3:44 AM PST

"No audio device" is displayed in 'sounds and audio devices properties' device manager. Sound works for all applications except streaming from on internet. Is there a way to switch this on?

Collapse -
NO AUDIO DEVICE FOUND
by rkannankmu / August 22, 2009 7:08 PM PDT

I have Compaq presario cq40 108tu notebook with operating system WINDOWS XP.I am not able to hear system as well as audio sounds.I have got message "NO AUDIO DEVICE FOUND".Anybody help to overcome this problem?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.