Internet Services Providers

General discussion

Not getting speeds I should be getting, help!!

by cptpooface / May 7, 2007 8:31 AM PDT

I am paying 66 dollars a month for a buisness ADSL connection. I am supposed to be getting 3.0 Mbps download and 1.0 Mbps upload. I realize these numbers are probably the maximum speeds possible and that I probably won't be getting those types of speeds. But, I am not even getting close to those speeds. I have been running speed tests all day, from six different sites. I ran a ton of tests over and over, then I averaged them all out, for my download speed I average 700 kb/s, and for my upload speed I average 100 kb/s. The highest download speed I ever got was 916 kb/s and fastest upload was 150 kb/s. The slowest download speed was 326 kb/s. I don't know much about this stuff, but I am pretty sure that these speeds suck. My download speed isn't even cracking 1.0 Mbps. The speeds listed by the speed test are way faster than I have ever gotten while downloading something from the internet. I also think I am getting ripped off for spending 66 bucks a month to get these crappy speeds. I am usually downloading a lot, from a lot of different sources. To the best of my knowledge I have never gotten as high as 600 kb/s. If I am downloading something like a trial version of nero burning rom directly from the internet site, I usually get speeds between 250 and 500 kb/s. I have also used IRC a few times and that is where I got the highest speeds. The worst speeds I get is from BitTorrents. I use BitTornado and if I ever get into the 40 or 50 kb/s range I am ecstatic, I usually barely crack 20 kb/s. I didn't know that a lot of people are able to get close to 1.0 Mbps, I have talked to quite a few people that say they can get 500 kb/s no problem, they said sometimes they can get as high as 900kb/s. It is really frustrating to know that people with ADSL are getting so much higher speeds than me. I would kill to be able to get a bittorrent file to download at 500 kb/s. I looked up the average speed for my ISP and it's 1.8 Mbps, and that is counting home accounts that max out at 2.0 Mbps.

I'm not sure what system info is needed to help fix the problem, but I will list what I can. I have an Nvidia Nforce 680i motherboard and Windows XP media center. When I go to Network Connections there is a Local Area Connection icon, which is my active connection, when I double click the icon it brings up a connection status window. With the general tab selected there is an area titled "connection" it lists Status, Duration, and Speed. The speed listed is 100.0 Mbps, I don't know what that means, but I thought it might be helpful. I have another computer on the same network. The network is setup so the ADSL modem is hooked into a LinkSys router, then I have an ethernet cable running from the router to each computer, I have no wireless connections. I don't know what else to list, I hope I have given enough information for someone to help me out.

I am really sorry for the length of the post, it is a little too long. I am just really mad that I may be paying too much for a subpar ISP. I am really trying to get faster download speeds, especially for bittorrents, I would love to be able to get up to 500kb/s when downloading a torrent. I know there are a lot of variables that go into the speed of bittorrent downloads, but I think I should be getting faster speeds than 10kb/s. If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Not getting speeds I should be getting, help!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Not getting speeds I should be getting, help!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
May have to ask them boldly...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2007 8:34 AM PDT

Are you limiting torrent speeds?

If they didn't then such would overwhelm the network.

Bob

Collapse -
I'm not sure I understand
by cptpooface / May 9, 2007 6:03 AM PDT

Do you mean I should ask my ISP if they are limiting torrent speeds? My problem is also not just torrent speeds, I have never had a download or a speed test over 950kb/s, and the average for my ISP is 1.8Mbps, my max is supposed to be 3.0Mbps. As I said before, I know not to expect the max speed, but I should at least get half of the max, shouldn't I? I just don't know what speeds I should be expecting and how to deal with the fact that I am not getting the speeds that I should. Thank you for your reply, and any replies that may still be posted.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2007 7:05 AM PDT

I thought I had written that clearly but maybe not.

Have a friend come over and test it however too often I find worms and pests have hijacked the machine and the speed is being eaten up by the machine sending spam and more. My friend makes over 1/2 his income from P2P users. They tend to always have a trojan.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.