Samsung forum

General discussion

"Not Available" message when pressing remote volume control

by ed_urquhart / January 29, 2011 3:38 AM PST

I have a Samsung PN58C8000 Plasma TV and it is connected to a Samsung HW-C450 Soundbar. The TV's speaker is turned off. When I use the TV's remote to adjust the volume a message displays saying "Not Available". I read all the other posts on this issue and I understand that if I turn the TV speakers back on the problem goes away. I also understand that the TV is confused because I am pressing the volume button when its internal speaker is turned off. But COME ON SAMSUNG, this is a $2500 Television - it should sense that an external speaker is in use and not display this message when I use the remote volume control. In fact, this message is literally useless under any circumstances, so why keep it? The annoyance of the message overrides the usefullness of the message - PLEASE GIVE US A FIRMWARE UPDATE TO DISABLE IT. I do NOT want to have the TV speakers competing with the soundbar at the same time. I would ask my fellow CNET users to lend their support and would ask Samsung to listen. There are a lot of us out there with this problem. Again - pitiful for a $2500 TV.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Not Available" message when pressing remote volume control
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Not Available" message when pressing remote volume control
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 31, 2011 6:20 AM PST

ed_urquhart,

I'll send this up on your behalf with some notes to see if anything can be done. At this time, I don't have a solution to offer, except for using the separate soundbar remote to adjust the soundbar's volume.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by Melwani97 / August 19, 2011 10:43 PM PDT

Really?!? I just bought the 7000 series plasma and 450 soundbar just to get home and realize that I still need my tiny soundbar remote because the tv is confused. Please tell me there's a patch that gets rid of that "not available" tag...

Collapse -
It Continues
by ed_urquhart / August 20, 2011 11:11 AM PDT

Since I wrote the original post and the Samsung tech promised to push it up the ladder I have heard nothing. It would/should be a simple firmware re-program, but apparently the folks on top of the ladder are not aware of how annoying it is to spend $3k and then not have the external speakers and TV interact properly! I hope they are still working on it. Sorry. I know how you feel.

Collapse -
No help from Samsung!
by paineman / November 24, 2012 1:35 AM PST
In reply to: It Continues

I know this is an older topic but I have been dealing with this issue for some time now!
I have had no help and have never had anything useful come out of a firmware update from samsung.
I was on the fence when buying my Samsung plasma, it was between a Panasonic and the sam, Next time I will buy Panasonic for sure!!!

If you have an issue with your samsung, they don't help.... Spend the extra $100 and buy the Panasonic!

Collapse -
WOW 4 Years Later AND Nothing Changed
by doyling / October 17, 2013 7:18 AM PDT
In reply to: No help from Samsung!

Just bought a Samsung TV and Yamaha sound bar. The sound bar passes on remote control commands to the TV since it blocks the IR receiver. The message is driving me nuts. The only way to avoid it is to use the puny sound bar remote, otherwise using any other remote such as my TiVo or universal remote to change the volume causes this popup. Samsung, please listen to your customers before your competitors do. Very frustrating, and making me doubt my purchase. Luckily it's on the wife's TV. When I buy one for my mancave, it won't be a Samsung.

Collapse -
Odd workaround.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2013 10:11 AM PDT

Don't connect things on HDMI 2 (most sams use that for ARC/controls and I can avoid that message by changing ports and yes, folk don't like it.)

Collapse -
Samsung Remote for Home Theater
by Spidey310 / November 25, 2013 2:14 AM PST

I had an issue with my volume not working. I have both a Samsung HDTV and a Samsung 5.1 HT System. Whenever I used either of the remote I would receive a "Not Available" message. On the receiver's remote there is a DVD RECEIVER/TV switch button. Press this button until it glows orange. Now try using volume. Orange is for the HT System, yellow is for the TV. Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.