Samsung

General discussion

"Not Available" message on LN46A650

by yakiwchk / January 19, 2009 1:02 PM PST

I continually get the error message "Not Available" showing up on my TV (LN46A650) screen while watching. This happens while watching live TV, recorded TV and even while watching DVD's. The only way that I have found to get the error off of the screen is to climb behind the TV and unplug it. A short period of time is enough to clear it but I have also left it for many hours. It is a beautifull TV and we love the picture but the family is beginning to hate it. I have my TV hooked up to a Motorola Dual Tuner PVR (DCT3416) through a Pioneer reciever. The digital cable comes in from the wall to the PVR and then has HDMI out to the reciever. HDMI then goes out from reciever to the TV. Blue ray player is also hooked up directly to the reciever. The only cables going into the TV are the HDMI cable and power. Searching around on the web seems to indicate that this may be an issue with closed captioning but the TV Setup menu does not allow any altering of the caption (greyed out). I look forward to your response. Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Not Available" message on LN46A650
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Not Available" message on LN46A650
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HDMI passthrough....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 19, 2009 4:12 PM PST

yakiwchk,

Many of the issues I've seen like this are due to what I believe are handshake issues associated with HDMI.

My best suggestion would be to run the HDMI from the PVR directly to the TV (mute the TV), and then run the optical audio from the PVR directly into the receiver's optical in. I believe that will solve your issue.

The closed captioning is something that is addressed in analog broadcasts, but not necessarily digital broadcasts. Here is some interesting information on that.

http://ce.org/PDF/CEA_Closed_Caption_FAQs_April_2007.pdf

If you want closed captioning, I believe the best way to handle that is through the PVR/cable box.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
No luck with HDMI passthrough
by yakiwchk / February 1, 2009 4:20 AM PST
In reply to: HDMI passthrough....

Ran HDMI from PVR directly to TV and ran optical from PVR directly to reciever for the audio. I still got the not available error message. Any more ideas? I have no other HDMI cables going in to the TV at present. The TV is muted.

As an aside I am not trying to get closed captioning but had just read some things on the net that suggested that might be part of the problem.

Collapse -
PVR output
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 1, 2009 4:48 PM PST

Is the PVR sending an output signal of at least 720p? You might want to check the output settings and double check.

If the PVR doesn't connect to the television directly, then it's not going to pass through the receiver with any better results. Sounds like there's a setting on the PVR that keeps the singal from sending.

Do you at least get audio through the optical to the receiver?

I'm not sure why you'd still be getting the No Signal Detected. I might suggest trying a different HDMI port. If that doesn't work, you might want to get the content provider (cable/sat) tech involved. I'm not sure why it wouldn't accept the signal.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
PVR Output clarification
by yakiwchk / February 2, 2009 1:31 AM PST
In reply to: PVR output

Just to be clear, I can watch TV without any issues. The message pops up unexpectedly during watching. It doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason. For instance, I managed to watch the entire 4 hour Super Bowl without it occurring. Sometimes I have to unplug my TV 1 to 2 times while watching a show to clear off the "Not Available" message. While the message is on the screen the TV program continues to play in the background. I am absolutely positive that the PVR (Motorola DCT3416) is outputing a signal of at least 720p. What is the message even telling me - what's not available??

As a recap: I have tried inputing HDMI from PVR to the reciever and then HDMI from the reciever to the TV. I have also tried HDMI directly from PVR to the TV with optical audio from the PVR to the reciever. In both cases I can watch and hear just fine but in both cases the Not Available message appears. The message is not No Signal Detected as you had mentioned in your last email.

At this point I do not even know what component to blame for this issue. Is it my PVR or is it my TV?

Collapse -
Clarification and question
by yakiwchk / February 3, 2009 8:01 AM PST
In reply to: PVR output

Just to be clear, I can watch TV without any issues. The message pops up unexpectedly during watching. It doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason. For instance, I managed to watch the entire 4 hour Super Bowl without it occurring. Sometimes I have to unplug my TV 1 to 2 times while watching a show to clear off the "Not Available" message. While the message is on the screen the TV program continues to play in the background. I am absolutely positive that the PVR (Motorola DCT3416) is outputing a signal of at least 720p. What is the message even telling me - what's not available??

As a recap: I have tried inputing HDMI from PVR to the reciever and then HDMI from the reciever to the TV. I have also tried HDMI directly from PVR to the TV with optical audio from the PVR to the reciever. In both cases I can watch and hear just fine but in both cases the Not Available message appears. The message is not No Signal Detected as you had mentioned in your last email.

At this point I do not even know what component to blame for this issue. Is it my PVR or is it my TV?

Collapse -
Remote issue....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 4, 2009 5:50 AM PST

yakiwchk,

Are you by chance using a Harmony or other programmable remote?

The message that appears suggests that a remote functionality code is trying to tell the television to perform a feature that isn't available for that mode (such as a television channel change on HDMI).

It could be that a remote button is stuck on one of your remotes. If you have several remotes, you might try taking the batteries out of each of them until that message doesn't appear - and you'll be able to isolate the problem remote if that's the issue.

I wish I had a more pointed approach, but keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Error is not due to remotes
by yakiwchk / February 8, 2009 10:23 PM PST
In reply to: Remote issue....

Yes, I am using a Logitech Harmony One Universal remote. However, I had the issue of the "Not Available" message showing up as soon as I bought the TV and I didn't get the remote until a few days later so I don't think it is the remote. I did follow your suggestion though and took the batteries out of all the remotes.

First step I left the battery in only the Logitech remote with batteries out of the Blue-ray, reciever, TV and PVR remotes. I still got the error message. I then took the battery out of the Logitech remote and used only the PVR remote. Again, I still got the error message.

I hope you have more suggestions...

Collapse -
Getting low....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 9, 2009 4:11 PM PST

yakiwchk,

First to answer a question prior that I didn't address. The error is stating that a feature or command that is being received by the television is unable to complete that function because it's a redundant function.

For instance, if I'm watching a Blu-Ray signal through HDMI and I press "Channel Up" on the remote, that would be a redundant function because there's no tuner function on the HDMI port. So the ability to execute that command is "not available". I'm confident that it's the television giving you that prompt, and not the cable box.

The question I can't figure out is: "why". What function is happening for no reason that happens intermittently that would include sending a redundant command to your television.

Logic would have suggested that perhaps the Harmony was sending out a redundant code and you were getting that message as a response while trying to perform another function. That could point to a bad set of codes loaded in the Harmony, for example, sending "channel up" instead of "fast forward" while watching an HDMI input. But you say that's not the case and that it just happens at random times (and I believe you!).

I'll send this to one of our guys in the morning and see what he can make of it. I'm completely stumped, and now I *really* want to know what the cause is.

Can you confirm all my assumptions in this post are accurate to your descriptions, just so we're on the same page?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Confirming you are correct
by yakiwchk / February 9, 2009 10:30 PM PST
In reply to: Getting low....

All of your assumptions are correct, the ocurrence is random. The message appears even if the remote is sitting on the table out of reach of my hands, ie. no button is being touched on any remote. Also, recall that the error occurred even when the battery was removed from Logitech remote so it CAN'T be the remote that is sending the signal.

I look forward to your next response. Thanks for all of your help, it is greatlt appreciated.

Collapse -
Bezel
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 10, 2009 5:28 AM PST

yakiwchk,

I can't say definitively, but I think what's happening is that the bezel is making contact with either the "Channel up" or "channel down" button while you're watching another source.

The fix is probably going to require service, but that's my guess of what's happening here.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Bezel test
by yakiwchk / February 10, 2009 10:44 AM PST
In reply to: Bezel

If I am understanding correctly then I think I may have tested your theory. While watching TV sourced on HDMI through the PVR I touched both the channel up and channel down controls on the bezel. In both cases what occurred was the the source switched from HDMI to AIR and of course all I could view on the TV at that time was snow. A tap of the source button on the bezel returned the input to HDMI and all was well. The Not Available message did not appear.

Does this suggest that your newest theory is incorrect?

Collapse -
Could be...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 10, 2009 1:55 PM PST
In reply to: Bezel test

yakiwchk,

It could be. I simply have no idea, and I'm trying to help pinpoint some troubleshooting. I guess if it was on the AIR setting, and the television started changing channels, that would probably be a good indication that my theory was right.

The idea was that some contacts in the bezel are causing the button to be pushed, even though it's not being pushed - it's still somehow making a connection.

It might be time to get the unit serviced. I don't want to speculate too far, but I was hoping that a quick troubleshooting idea might give you an idea of explaining the symptom to the techs.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Error Message Keeps Showing
by gearhead79 / February 9, 2009 10:35 PM PST
In reply to: Getting low....

I've had my Samsung Plasma for 3 years now and this just happend as I was watching the grammys on Sunday evening. All of a sudden the message kept poping up for no reason. My immediate thought was- there is a remote somewhere on the couch thats being pressed. I also use a logitech remote and even took out the battery from it thinking it was causing the issue. Then I went to the side of the tv and hit menu. When I did this, the options kept scrolling up as if somebody was holding a remote and pressing up the entire time. It would not stop. I turned the TV off and back on and same thing- error message keeps showing. I have not unplugged the TV yet, but will try that when i get home. I agree with Yakiwchk- the TV is awesome and until now, no problems.

Collapse -
Same dianosis
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 10, 2009 5:31 AM PST

gearhead79,

Probably the same response as I gave above.

I think what is happening is that the up/down button is contacting, and may require service. I know that this isn't particularly great news, but I hope it at least explains what's happening.

The good news, if there is any with a service issue, is that it's likely not an expensive board, but hopefully an inexpensive minor fix.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thats what I'm thinking-
by gearhead79 / February 10, 2009 5:36 AM PST
In reply to: Same dianosis

Its just odd that it would start doing this 3 years later, when nobody touchs the TV. I do plan on calling samsung later today with the model/serial #. I will keep you informed with what they say.
I've also seen this issue happen to several other people, but nobody has listed a solution online.

Collapse -
Samsung not available message
by gearhead79 / February 13, 2009 3:52 AM PST

So the tech called and said this issue is due to a bad board in the TV.
The cost of the main board is $250-$330. The labor is another $250.
So this would cost atleast $500 to fix.
or I can sell this for parts and use the money to buy a new TV...

Collapse -
Samsung not available message box and sound adjusting
by rjhoekstra / January 9, 2010 12:07 AM PST

I have a model LN-T4061F samsung LCD TV that is alittle over two years old. Recently it too displays the not available message on the screen when we first turn the set on. It also will turn the sound up and down by itself when the message is displayed. Is there anything new on this problem as to the cause?

Collapse -
"Not Available" Message on LN-T4061
by stevenoble / March 5, 2010 5:44 AM PST

I have exactly the same problem on a LN-T4061 as described by others and it is driving me crazy. Shortly after turn-on, watching HDMI input off my cable box, the message "Not Available" comes up in the center of the screen and the volume control starts running up/down by itself. No remote controls are involved with this error. I made sure by removing the batteries. If you wait about 10 mins the problem clears by itself. I've tried everything I can think of, even running component input from the cable box. Switched HDMI inputs and HDMI cables. If you select HDMI input from the DVD Player the message does not show up at all. Others have suggested that closed captioning from the cable box is the problem, but I have this turned off. Any help would be appreciated or else this TV will be tossed out the window (i.e. never buying another Samsung TV)

Collapse -
"Not Available" message after 1 month on 50'' plasma
by TUNATOO2U / January 7, 2011 12:03 AM PST

I bought a new PN50C6400 in Nov/2010 and just after a month of use it is popping up the "Not Available" message at very random times. Sometimes it's once a minute, other times every other day. Unplugging the power resets it for a bit but it will start again.

The internal speakers have always been OFF, as the sound from that TV is extremely tinny. I do know that if I was using the volume control on my Verizon FIOS remote and it was set to the cable box or TV device instead of AUX (for my Sony surround), I would get the message, which was understandable.

But now it happens with NO remote function being pressed. I am now waiting to have it serviced at my home since it is only a month old, and Samsung Support has no clue what it could be. Reading through this has been helpful, and I may try some of the suggestions this weekend just for kicks.

Collapse -
Not Available message update
by TUNATOO2U / January 26, 2011 4:02 AM PST

It got to where it was popping up 8-10 times a minute. I recently (Tuesday 25th) had it serviced under warranty. They replaced the internal touch board for the front panel buttons (which is what I was suspecting), and another board that it was cabled to, including replacing the cable, which was crimped and had a bare spot.

The TV had also started powering itself on and off at random times, changing the volume up and down on its own, and popping up the settings menu, even changing settings by itself!

It's only been a day, but I have not seen any issues since the parts were replaced. I have decided however, to purchase the extended warranty!

Collapse -
Solved - Using Harmony Remotes
by PatientTeacher / February 7, 2011 8:05 AM PST

Open the Harmony Software for your remote.

1) Add your soundbar/amplifier to device list if it's not already there (I have the Samsung HW-C450 hooked up to a Samsung 46" LN46C610N1F)
2) Add this device to all activities like PS3, Movies, TV, etc.
3) For each activity, choose "Customize Buttons".
4) For each of Volume Up, Volume Down and Mute...
change the device from TV to Amplifier using the pick list.

The sound commands are usually the first three items in the Customize Buttons list in the Harmony setup screen. There are three columns.

Doing this will prevent the Harmony from sending any volume commands to the TV and will only use the IR codes for the soundbar or amplifier. After I did this and tested it, no more "Not Available" messages for any volume operations!

Collapse -
"Not Available" box on tv.
by andreanugget / February 24, 2013 3:22 PM PST

Hello. I have a Samsung TV (model HLT5087SX/XAA) and have had the "Not Available" box for a few years now. It will be gone for months and then show up for a few weeks only to disappear again. I'm cheap so I haven't bought a new tv.

Tonight, I got frustrated with the box and decided to take the back casing of the tv off. I cut the two wires from the manual controls on the side of the tv, put everything back together and turned the tv on. So far, the box is gone and the tv works fine. Granted we can only use the remote now, but that is a small price to pay versus buying a new tv when our tv works fine (other than that dang box!).

Might be something to look in to if you still own the tv. Happy

Collapse -
Having this same issue with my LN37B550. Just started
by mjk12345 / November 14, 2013 8:28 AM PST

I am also having this issue. It is intermittent. I'm not excited about the possibility of buying a new one.

I may try the cutting the wires to the manual controls. I never use them.

Probably time for a new one, Not a samsung

Collapse -
having the same issue, not smart tv 55"
by 13westbay / December 25, 2013 2:18 PM PST

bought this tv @ walmart for $800 & have the same issue, did not occur for the first few weeks of use till i plugged my iMac into it, still into my first 30 days so i'll try to return it & get my $$$ back, maybe i'll put it into something else instead of a tv, kinda regret buying one, i still have my old one maybe i'll build a computer

Collapse -
"Not Available" on my Samsung
by Cnk6212 / March 20, 2014 3:43 AM PDT

Hi Andreanugget, I've been seeing all the same issues with the not available on my Samsung LCD tv. I bought mine in 2008 and it's randomly had this problem, till about 5 months ago, and now it is on my tv every time i turn it on and disappears sometimes after 20 minutes or so. I want to try the cutting wire method cause who can afford these service calls and never mind what the want for parts!

Have you experienced any issues since you cut the wires? Or did anyone else do this??

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.