Computer Help forum

General discussion

Norton System Works removed Windows system restore

by julessch / March 28, 2006 7:17 AM PST

Using Windows XP home - I have been using Norton since 1999 & had no problem till installing 2006 system works. It prevented me from loging into the internet & also wouldn't allow me to use the Norton program (unable to initialize activation control).
No response from Norton support.I then uninstalled the program. Windows system restore was disabled - get blank white screen.I guess this is because Norton Ghost disabled it. Any one have an idea on how to get system restore back?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton System Works removed Windows system restore
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton System Works removed Windows system restore
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have You Tried Reinstalling It?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 28, 2006 7:23 AM PST

First, make sure that "Hidden Files and Folders" and "Protected Operating System Files" are being shown by UNCHECKING the boxes in Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View tab.

Windows XP- You can usually make system restore run with these steps:

1. Click Start->Run->Type "C:\windows\inf" (without the quotes)
2. Look for a file named: "SR.INF" and RIGHT click on it
3. Choose "Install".
4. In the Files Needed dialog box, click Browse. Locate the Sr.sys file in the i386 folder of the Windows XP CD, (or a good option for those without a Windows XP CD would be to browse the computer itself in the ?C\i386? folder) click the ?Sr.sys? file, and then click OK.
Follow the prompts, Reboot and System Restore should be ready to use.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Missing file
by julessch / March 29, 2006 3:46 AM PST

Gil - I don't have the Windows XP disk. (preinstalled)
Under i386 I find SR.SY_ file but get message "Windows needs to know what program created it". Is this the correct System Restore file? How can I access it? Sorry, I'm not too computer literate as you can see.
Thanks for your help - Jules

Collapse -
Re: Missing file--Try This
by Tufenuf / March 29, 2006 4:14 AM PST
In reply to: Missing file

Jules, Try the following which may correct your problem:

Click Start, Run and type these commands one by one:

regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 vbscript.dll
regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll

Note: The spacing is important.
The above is from the link I gave you in my previous reply and has worked for many others.

Collapse -
cannot follow last command
by radiumice / October 25, 2009 8:37 AM PDT

i tried running thhis
regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll
but it says 'mshtml.dll loaded but the Dll register server entry point was not found
the file cannot be registered'
please help as i hhave the same system restore problem1

Collapse -
Jules, Navigate To The 'SR.sys' File Like This..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 29, 2006 5:21 AM PST
In reply to: Missing file

You may be looking in the wrong location..Instead of using the standard "i386" folder where the incorrect "SR.SY_" file resides, please navigate to the correct one at this path:

C\Windows\Service Pack Files\sr.sys

That should allow you to reinstall.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
sr.sys file
by julessch / March 30, 2006 9:58 AM PST

Hi Grif
When I try to access the file sr.sys I get message-
"Windows can't open file - To open file windows needs to know what program created it"
How can I access file?

Collapse -
Jules, It Appears Like...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 31, 2006 3:46 AM PST
In reply to: sr.sys file're not following the instructions per the previous post at "THIS LINK".

FIRST, find the "Sys.inf" that resides in the "C\Windows\inf" folder, RIGHT click on that file, choose "Install".

NEXT, In the "Files Needed" dialog box, click "Browse". Now using the new instructions, Locate the Sr.sys file in the C\Windows\Service Pack Files folder, then click the ?Sr.sys? file, and then click OK. Follow the prompts, Reboot and System Restore should be ready to use.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by julessch / April 1, 2006 9:58 AM PST

Grif - I followed your link & finally got to the correct sr.sys file,but when I clicked on install - a file needed box came up. The file C:\windows \inf\i386 path is on the service pack 2 CD which I don't have.The hidden files & the protected files boxes in explorer were unchecked.I guess I can try to get a CD from someone. I appreciate your taking the time to help me.

Collapse -
by taboma / March 29, 2006 2:42 PM PST

Grif. You failed to mention Un-install Symantic SYSTEM WORKS!
Just trying to help. Symantic System Works should be called ?Symantic Home Destroyer!? A home wrecker that wipes out certain software,
blows out doors and WINDOWS!

Grif, I know, a groaner!
Couldn't help myself with that one. :

Collapse -
restore won't load
by jimbowsaw / August 24, 2009 12:27 PM PDT

Can u help..went to inf files and SR.inf is not there???

Collapse -
Genius, you've saved me after long headache!
by nkafka / August 1, 2010 7:52 AM PDT

Kept wondering why the System Restore tab had completely disappeared from My Computer > Properties.

Must have been me uninstalling the antivirus.

Your fix worked a treat (used the sr.SY_ file in i386 folder as had no XP CB).

Thanks again, you've 'restored' my confidence in installing new software! Happy

chrs, Nik

Collapse -
Here's another possible solution
by Tufenuf / March 28, 2006 7:49 AM PST
Collapse -
by julessch / March 30, 2006 9:49 AM PST

Hi - Tried the 3 dll's, but it didn't work.
Thanks anyway.

Collapse -
This topic thread is now, 4 full years old.
by LucJPatenaude / August 1, 2010 9:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Link

Jules must have bought a way better machine ever since.

And, probably did not even get Symantec's Norton garbage software either. Or, is using Norton 360 version 3 and lovin' it.

All speculation is, almost, valid. When it comes from that far in the past tense of IT.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.