PC Applications forum

General discussion

Norton system works: looking for your opinion

by sbaxter / May 11, 2005 6:29 AM PDT

I would like to buy 2005 Norton system works to fix and solve some of my computer related issues. However, just by doing a little research on it through web site reviews and asking around, I've been getting a lot of mixed reviews and answers. Some claim it causes more damage than help, some say it kills performance on your computer, and some says it works great. So which is it? All opinions are welcomed. Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton system works: looking for your opinion
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton system works: looking for your opinion
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Frankly?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2005 7:49 AM PDT

Since reporting a bug years ago (see http://www.bugnet.com/alerts/bugalert_010110.html ) Symantec never shipped a fix, patch or noted the issue in their subsequent products.

I'd received answers such as "It doesn't affect many people." to "It's not a bug in our product." over the years.

Frankly? This is a software package I only obtain to see if the bugs are still there.

And my findings? "Yup."

Bob

Collapse -
Norton upgrades
by williamferguson / May 13, 2005 4:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Frankly?

Symantec seems to believe that you should know all before upgrading. I upgraded by downloading Norton Symstem Works from 2003 to 2005. I was unable to get it to work properly. I called and was shipped off to India for help. What a mess. They really do not know the problems. After being tranfered to 4 tech departments I was told that the activation number was still on 2003. I was also told to uninstall the program and reinstall it again. This was no help. I finally asked for my money back and ordered the discs. I have downloaded the anti-virus many times and had no problems. It seems that Symantec dose not advise you to uninstall and says you should have known. This really screwed up my computer and a lot of clean up work. My computer is a Dell P4 with 512 Ram 60 Gig Drive.

Collapse -
Me next. . .
by Coryphaeus / May 11, 2005 10:13 AM PDT

I'm running NSW 2005 on two XP machines. Absolutely zero problems. What I've found is that people with problems with NSW 2005 have flaky PCs to begin with. The PCs are either under powered and overworked, or the drivers are not careful what they do with them.

I've been using Norton products since before most nerds have been born. The few glitches I've had have been fixed with a visit to the Symantec site, or a phone call. In my experience, superb support. Again, in my experience. But my PCs are squeaky clean, powered perfectly, and driven by someone who's careful about what is installed and downloaded.

That said, I've had zero infections using NSW and NAV over the years. I will agree that it can be resource hog. But I've seen people try to run XP on a five year old machine, add NSW 2005, and complain that their system is slow. Well, duh!

Don't attempt it unless you have a perfect system, at least a 2 Gig processor, and ample RAM. Mine (both of them) are such and I'm totally satisfied.

HTH,

Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to
use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about telephones, internet
connections and data, and download free software.

Collapse -
Norton
by Ray Bradsher / May 12, 2005 11:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Me next. . .

Not everybody needs a 2 gig speed demon, but every one that uses the internet needs protection.

Collapse -
NSW
by frj11 / May 13, 2005 12:24 AM PDT

I too have used Norton Utilities since the DOS days. Over all their products are outstanding. I would recommend then to anyone.

Collapse -
NSW-useful TOOL...
by daChief / May 13, 2005 9:32 AM PDT
In reply to: NSW

I add my name to those who have used Norton Utilities forever. But like all new tools, they require a learning curve. I have made a practice of installing the current edition of Systemworks to each new computer I use. It is the second application to be installed (second only to an ISP app), and gets fully updated before anything else is installed.
All settings and permissions are configured first, while reading and understanding the functions in the user guide and the online pages. Subsequently, I've never had a lick of trouble with any of the functions.
While working (offline) with large image files, I simply disable the background programs, to free-up resources.
This has proved effective since the earliest days of Windows95.

Collapse -
Norton Systems Works
by wshredder / May 13, 2005 9:46 AM PDT
In reply to: NSW

I have used the components of NSW since dos days, and have had no problems with it. It does what is supposed to do, that is protect my comupter from viruses, and maintain it.
It has done this very well for me.

Collapse -
Me next. . . Reply
by Jim Baber / May 13, 2005 2:23 AM PDT

You are lucky to be able to stay right up at the front with new hardware and lots of cash for un-needed memory. If you are retired like I am, cash isn't as availible as it once was. But, what I want my computer to do is more complex than ever (time to keep me occupied) and my computer is typically running 12 to 15 major applications at a time. I cannot give NWS the memory it demands, nor can I give up the memory cycles it requires. My CPU is always @ 98-100% (it is a 433MHz Intel) and has 256 MB of RAM to work with.

My computer obviously is pushed hard by running continously 24/7 XP Pro SP2, Apache internet server, ArGoSoft E-mail Server, SpyKiller, AVG free Antivirus, Zone Alarm Pro firewall, Counterspy, Sunny Data Control to control & monitor my 10,000 Watt photo-voltaic solar system, my weather station, Outlook to schedule my time and for taking notes on the fly, and Excel to integrate the infomation from my weather station and Solar plant to produce a daily power bill status and to forcast the annual cost (or credit) for the power to run my all electric home. Also, periodically I do use Netscape 7.2, Access, Word, and other applications.

I am pleased to say that I have not crashed XP or any of the other programs I have run in over 3 months. I do regularly on Friday take the entire system down and restart it for cleanup purposes.

I tried Norton a year ago, and it made my (overworked and underpowered) machine very unstable and unpredictable, and I uninstalled it within 4 days after 20-25 lockups or crashes.

Collapse -
NSW--not so helpful
by THG / May 14, 2005 9:41 AM PDT

I've been using Norton since the early DOS days, and most of that time, I have found the programs very useful. But when you DO have a problem (which seems to be happening much more lately, they are terrible. If you get any response at all, it is a whole series of steps YOU should take to fix THEIR admitted errors. Reinstalling several times is common. I have had their techies tell me it is a known problem, but Norton will not issue a fix or a patch.

Most recently, on a brand-new fully loaded Dell P4 I tried to run NSW 2005 and the GoBack program crashed the computer. Norton's response: "Sometimes that happens. Go in and try to repair any damage it has done."

No fix, no apology, no refund, no concern with customers. Too bad to spoil a good reputation, but they are going rapidly downhill.

Collapse -
Long time Norton user...
by whiteoxx / May 14, 2005 11:57 PM PDT

I've also been using Norton products for a long time. Since Norton Utils for DOS 3.3. Not anymore though. I refuse to give them another penny of my dough, not even when it turns out to be free after rebate. Their knowledge base is excellent for tracking down and explaining how to correct problems with their software. Unfortunately there are way too many problems and don't waste your time with tech support if you can't find the answer yourself. 90% of the problems I had with their software was due to the previous version not uninstalling itself correctly and causing major problems when installing the latest version. Their solution is to manually uninstall (i.e. regedit) all the registry keys and files that were left behind. After that, it worked fine. What a pain in the #@$! How do they expect to keep customers if the only one's who have troublefree installs are new users. I put up with them through NSW 2000-2003. I feel like an idiot for being loyal for so long, thru so many issues. Symantec's the worst thing that ever happened to Norton.

Collapse -
After 10 years I'm removing Norton - Using PC-cillin
by lizamay / May 22, 2005 2:54 AM PDT

... and I'm nervous what might happen when I uninstall Norton.

Any recommendations for best way to uninstall all NAV components; and save, mirror, entire system? I do have an additional 80 GB external hard drive. It's NAV2003, on WinXP, with a firewalled ethernet connection to comcast.

FINALLY giving up on stupid Symantec. Should have done it long ago. After spending a week trying to "re-subscribe" to LiveUpdate, finally realizing that Symantec DELIBERATELY makes it impossible in order to force you to upgrade, I say enough is enough. I've been loyal (against all recommendations) for ten years. See ya!

So ... how do I get the daggone thing off my machine without a real mess? Any recommendations?

TIA ...

Liza

Collapse -
NSW 2005
by rebel89 / July 16, 2005 12:39 AM PDT

I have been using NSW or utilities since the beginning it seems. I too put the newest version on any new computer. NSW 2005 would not install. Finally after 6 hrs of trying anything I could think of and searching all of symantec I got it. First I went into the control panel, uninstalled the liveupdate. Then I went back the to support and they have a little program that will uninstall all instances of NSW from your computer. I had to do it in that order for it to work. (Trial and error) Wonder why they don't just post that up front instead of making a person jump through hoops?

Collapse -
YES
by ronlene / May 15, 2005 8:50 AM PDT

I agree 100% with this message. I have been using NSW on my 4 Dell computers forever. Ron

Collapse -
NSW 2005
by jackwei / May 24, 2005 1:16 AM PDT

Norton was a great product when it operated in DOS. Aside from buying up their competition, they crashed Windows 95 and have caused damage to my newest computers everytime Windows issued a service pak or an upgrade. There was Norton bringing up the rear of the horse.
And each time I got a trial version, I tried it and regretted it for days. Getting the thing uninstalled usually means Format C:\ and a brand new install of windows.

So I have learned never to install anything from Norton, except Ghost, on any of my computers. My daughter's brand new laptop came with a 3 month trial of Norton Anti-virus installed. It seems to work but I would hate to drive 500 into Manhattan to remove Norton Last it took 6 different registry cleanup software to get all the remnants it left behind on my computer. There was even a Norton-like file which caused other anti-virus software to crash. Finally I found it mislabelled deliberately on the Norton Setup Disk.

Collapse -
Re: Me Next
by cclemmons / July 14, 2005 2:05 PM PDT

Finally, a post that I can say ''ditto'' to.I've heard a co-worker or two say that they have had trouble with Symantec software and frankly I couldn't understand how their experience was so opposite of mine. Then when I thought about it, I could attribute their trouble to the lack of standards inherent to PC hardware and software, mixed with incomplete, wrong or non-existent instructions. I have been using Symantec products since version 1 myself, and anytime that I have noticed something unusual going on, I could always track it back to improperly installed (my fault) or inappropriately set software feature preferences (my fault again). (Whatever was missing from the generally well-written Symantec manuals, could be found by searching their website knowledge base articles.)Outside of these instances of ignorance on my part, the other possible explanation for non-functional Symantec software, in my experience, can be traced back to the misfortune of loading new software into incompatible environments. The mix of new software and the flux of OS component versions which are behind, between, or beyond compatible with each other are destined to fail when piled onto the capacity of dated hardware. It's a good thing to research the likely parring of your specific computer components with new stuff, before a purchase is made. There just isn't enough room on the product packaging to describe every combination possible. Hence, read up. I'll stick with what I have known to be good products. First,thanks for asking the good question up front and thank you for speaking from the other side of the trend in this thread.

Collapse -
As for me...
by ezbesthost1 / May 12, 2005 6:26 PM PDT

I use an older version on my 98SE system and it works as advertised. I will not use any McAfee products as they were a nightmare when they were installed. I have heard that Norton's has slipped but when I get my new system I would be willing to discreetly try it.

Collapse -
Norton
by Wild_willy / May 12, 2005 6:37 PM PDT

There is no way I would install any Norton/Symantec software on one of my computers. Their tech help is worthless. Uninstalling is a real trip of frustation. In addition there are other products, some free, that will do the job better without slowing down your system.

Collapse -
Love It
by Debra Ammons / May 12, 2005 10:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Norton

I have been using System works for 5 years and would not be with out it. On the 2004 version I did not install Ghost as it has never worked for me or Password manager as windown XP has one. I did install the extra Go back and have had to use it more then once.I works faster then System restore.Which will not restore a lot of the time. Go Back and Norton have never failed me

Collapse -
such as???
by irastoller / May 20, 2005 9:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Norton

Name some of them, please, if they're so good.

Collapse -
Norton Sys Works is a Resource HOG
by LCMM55 / May 12, 2005 7:00 PM PDT

I upgraded to 2004 and my problems began. SLOW was the new norm. 3 systems and 3 big problems. I thought it was the AD WARE and ran the anti spy software over and over again. I added memory, NO improvemnet. Now aafter figuring that it was Norton. I removed it with great difficulty I might add. Even after using the uninstall it left bits of itself that slowed the system. Norton has removal tools that are hard to use and almost impossible to find. I switched over to AntiVIR XP for free with free updates and it has been heaven now for about 8 months. All the machine have running worry free with no virus' and no HOGGING. I have a Pentium 4 2.8 desktop, a mobile centrino 1.6 laptop, and a Dell 2.2 celeron laptop.

Collapse -
hog free for 1 month
by muckraker / May 13, 2005 7:21 PM PDT

I gave Norton the boot for the same reason, I went with PCcillin 2005 internet security. Once I got the system Norton free, I noticed the difference. I'll never go back.
I run a P4 2.8g ht, win 2K sp4, P3 1g laptop win 2k sp4.

Collapse -
Norton SytemWorks
by techman8351 / May 12, 2005 7:47 PM PDT

I have a small PC repair shop. I use to sell Norton. I told everybody how great it was. No more. Other than Norton Ghost, no Symantec product will EVER find itself on any of my machines or be sold in my store.
Norton has serious issues. The worst being it's total inability to prevent, heck, even detect trojans.
Next on the list would be the huge drain on resources. It will knock an aging machine to it's knees.
Oh, and how about the uninstall issues? Better hope it uninstalls from add/remove programs, otherwise you will be spending hours deleting folders, files and digging through the registry.
I love it when the customer renews the subscription declining to upgrade to the latest version and then does the on-line support thingy, just to be told that Norton no longer supports his product.

Collapse -
Norton System Works, but...
by gurman--2008 / May 13, 2005 12:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Norton SytemWorks

I have been using NSW from it's conception. So that is one part of my answer, BUT! it now has too many potential traps. If any part of the program does not install correctly, you may not know it for some time and when you do figure it out, you will get unbeliveably frustrated trying to correct the problem and you'll want to toss the computer out the wiodow. Symantec's advice for any of these problems is to uninstall and reinstall. HA! It used to be that you could talk to a knowlegable sympathetic person, but no more. On my HP Laptop w. XP Pro, ''Speed Disk'' takes all night.
As for NAV, go for it. Cannot be beat. The other utilities are great to have.

Collapse -
Norton System Works Premier
by martinb9 / May 12, 2005 9:36 PM PDT

I am satisfied with the product except for one problem. During virus scan, Norton finds problems that it cannot delete or repair.

I find this frustrating.

Collapse -
subscription renewal
by kaptinphoto / May 12, 2005 9:38 PM PDT

I found Norton to be an effective program. However, the subscription renewal process was so torturous that I gave up and installed a different program.

For renewal it appears to be more effective to order a CD rather than go thru the menuse involved in the download process.

burt

Collapse -
Norton versus Panda
by stanb17 / May 12, 2005 9:44 PM PDT

I have long been a fan of Norton, but as of the last year or so, my Pentium 4, 1.9Ghz with 512RAM, with two 40Gig drives in RAID-0 and another 18Gig SCSI... now takes between 5 and 7 hours to perform a complete system scan for viruses. My PC mentor has told me he dumped Norton AV, but kept the Systemworks utilities and now uses Panda Platinum for AV. He says the speed of his AV scans is nothing short of phenomenal. The downside? Always is a downside... Panda Platinum is $80/year compared to Norton Systemworks at $29 (if you look for it) and another $29 annually for AV update subscriptions.

My Norton AV subscription ends in about 2 weeks and I am going to jump into Panda for the trial, then probably go with the 6 month option. If I fall in love with the speed... $80 seems a small price compared to 7 hours of Norton Scanning.
Stan

Collapse -
Virus scans
by Jim Baber / May 13, 2005 3:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Norton versus Panda

Why not use AVG virus scan the price is good and it has cought everything I stumbled across in the last year, usually 1 or 2 a week and it also has gotten an average of 4 a week on my daughter's E-mail (I host her E-mail).

Collapse -
Don't waster your time...
by jcattano / May 12, 2005 9:46 PM PDT

I've had nothing but problems with Norton. As another member said Ghost is good, but the rest of the stuff is awful.

It sucks resources, sometime causes more damage than it fixes, updates are usually a pain to install, support is terrible and it can be a nightmare to uninstall. And that's on a good system with plenty of horse power!

Norton products were really good before they became Symantec's.

Do yourself a favor, download the freeware programs like AVG, Zone Alarm, Spybot, Adaware, and Spyware Blaster (i'm sure there are others). I've been using these on friends PCs for a while now and they're all pretty happy with them.

If you'd rather use a commercial product, i've been using EZ-Trust (Computer Associates) because it came with my broadband account. I haven't had any problems with it (we use their network virus scanner at work). But if i had to pay for it, i would go with the freeware and send the authors some money instead.

Collapse -
Norton Systemworks CRAWLS!
by Kriskringle / May 12, 2005 9:50 PM PDT

I installed Norton on a brand new gaming system, (Athlon64-3000, top of the line everything) and my system was reduced to a teeth-gnashing crawl! It frustrated the heck out of me, but once I uninstalled it my system was fortunately OK. Unfortunately, Norton was extremely difficult to remove. I had to manually remove just over 100 entries in the registry. I use Zonealarm for my firewall and Grisoft's AVG for antivirus, and am very happy with both. Small footprint, they work flawlessly so far, and the price is very hard to beat! Spending well over $100 for Norton is something I would never do again.

Collapse -
SystemWorks 2005
by Ara1 / July 14, 2005 3:18 PM PDT

I recently installed SystemWorks 2005 on Win2000 Pro. Program did not work properly. Could not even communicate with Symantec to register or activate program.

I removed program, but it totally messed up my system. Had to recover by re-installing OS. Not a pleasant experience.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.