Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Norton: renew by downloading online or send disc?

by gwingee / August 2, 2006 1:01 PM PDT

I am going to renew my Norton...but should I renew by downloading online or should I have them send the disc? Does it matter???

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton: renew by downloading online or send disc?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton: renew by downloading online or send disc?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
oh..one other question
by gwingee / August 2, 2006 1:15 PM PDT

Do I have to uninstall what I have or will it automatically override it? I have the Norton 2005 right now and am going to get the 2006.

Collapse -
rethinking Norton
by gwingee / August 2, 2006 2:01 PM PDT

I just read that it is a memory hog and that there are free antivirus software to download that works just as well if not better and are free...any help would be great..thanks..I have 10 days to renwew or switch...if I switch how do I fully remove Norton from my system?

Collapse -
Uninstall Norton
by glb613 / August 2, 2006 9:14 PM PDT
In reply to: rethinking Norton

using the uninstaller that comes with the program. If there isn't one, use add/remove programs found in the control panel. Unfortunately, it will leave a lot of ''stuff'' behind. After I uninstalled Norton, I did a search for anything Norton and Symantec then deleted what it found. Since you are a novice when it comes to computers, I wouldn't recommend you get into the registry to remove those entries.

Be sure to unplug your computer from the internet while switching antivirus programs. You will need to download the free antivirus program before you make the switch. After you uninstall Norton, install either AVG or Avast. If you are using Zone Alarm, engage the internet lock. Once the switch is made, go online and update your new antivirus program.

Collapse -
where do I download the antivirus program?
by gwingee / August 2, 2006 10:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Uninstall Norton

so, as I understand..download the free one first, then uninstall Norton? I will unplug my modem to the internet first right? I do not use Zone Alarm..do I need that? Does the AVG or Avast have a firewall or should I use the Windows firewall..I have been using the Norton firewall. Oh, I think I can get a free year of Mcafee with my broadband company...should I use that one???? Sorry for all the questions...

Collapse -
Download Locations...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 3, 2006 12:24 AM PDT

Avast
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

AVG Free
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/40/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

In regards to a new firewall, I suggest starting with the simple Windows Firewall at first. (AVG and Avast don't have one.) The Windows Firewall will suffice until you're sure the new antivirus program is working for you. Once you have the new antivirus working, then you can consider a third party firewall like ZoneAlarm.

In regards to whether to use McAfee, AVG or Avast, that's up to you. They're all free to you so you may decide to try each one for a while. See which one you like best and use it. Just one note...Avast and AVG will use less resources and won't slow down the computer as much.. ON the other hand, McAfee is a better virus detector in all the reviews.. But the others aren't bad.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I will unplug my modem to the internet first right?
by glb613 / August 4, 2006 4:25 AM PDT

Yes. After you download the new antivirus program, unplug the modem or unplug the cable to your computer. Your computer will be unprotected for the time it takes to uninstall Norton then install AVG or Avast.

As posted, you can engage XP's built-in firewall until you decided what product your are going to use. If you decided to use Zone Alarm, it will disable XP's firewall when installed.

I use AVG on one of my computers and like it. The notebook is old, not very powerful and has a limit of 384 MB of memory. It would never tolerate a resource hogging program like Norton or McAfee.

Collapse -
copy this into your address bar
by green_sleeves54 / August 6, 2006 5:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Uninstall Norton
Collapse -
renew norton online
by maggiedev / August 3, 2006 8:48 PM PDT

for several years i have renewed my norton online. i have also had to reformat my computer several times so learned to request a backup disk. they offer the option when you renew. the last one was only 7.00. well worth in in case you have a problem and lose your security system. i do not like to purchase any programs online that i cannot get a backup disk for. my computer is 6 years old and has had a few problems that nothing would fix except reformatting. get that back up disk.

Collapse -
DRM will get you
by horse7 / August 4, 2006 6:47 AM PDT
In reply to: renew norton online

My opinion is that if you can renew 2005 and keep that installed, there is less chance of problems. 2006 has a lot more DRM (digital rights management), and tends to have more.... issues. Security is hard, adding DRM makes your head spin as a programmer (been there, done that).

Symantec programmers are generally pretty good, not on a par with ZoneLabs, although good enough, but the executives seemingly have become fixated on anti-piracy and have made Norton top heavy with DRM. It is very difficult to create DRM that does not hurt honest users, and Symantec has failed IMHO.

I try very hard not to disturb Norton on my PCs, since in the last few years too much instability has crept into Norton. When it works well, it is transparent and good for users who want to use the PC without having to monkey with security.

AVG IMHO does not cover as many bases as Norton. It is just too bad that Norton has lost touch with ease of use, I'll be abandoning them when my licenses run out (in, like, 400+ days! Argh!).

Going to SLED 10 using AppArmor. Not for newbies... yet. The final solution is probably something like TPM (trusted computing platform technology). MS will have this around 2050 or so Sad in the meantime, Symantec has a chance to reform itself.

Collapse -
Cheaper at Wally World
by truckfixersandy / August 3, 2006 9:36 PM PDT

Buy your new Norton's whatever at Wal-Mart. Its cheaper than you will find it anywhee else. Now this is assuming you just want an anti-virus. Sometimes other places have other stuff bundled with Nortons, that if you want the crap it might be cheaper to buy from them. All in all nobody sells cheaper than Wal-Mart and if you take them in proof someone else is selling anything cheaper, they will meet the price.

Collapse -
You can buy cheaper than Wal Mart
by RaDaRkInG / August 3, 2006 11:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Cheaper at Wally World

Right now you can purchase 2006 Norton Anti-Virus at CompUSA for FREE.
Check out their ad at www.compusa.com. You may have to purchase and then send for a rebate, but you will have the program disk and it will cost you just postage and tax.

Collapse -
Forgot to mention
by RaDaRkInG / August 3, 2006 11:13 PM PDT

You can order at CompUSA online for in-store pickup. So if you have a CompUSA store near you, check online if it is available at your store and they will hold it for you. You can see all that at their website.

Collapse -
plain and simple answer.
by hpgrl38 / August 3, 2006 11:03 PM PDT

norton antivirus (and all their associated software) is...

1.) not very good anymore.

2.) way too freakin' expensive

3.) eclipsed in almost every way by cheaper (or free) software

4.) a HUGE system hog. an anti-virus program shouldn't be using 50+ MB of RAM, and be running in 5+ processes on your computer.

my suggestions to fix your problem...

1.) free.grisoft.com (download AVG Free). it's awesome, and what i use on all my windows machines.

2.) if you feel you must pay money for anti-virus, NOD32 is awesome as well, and relatively cheap.

3.) if you don't play games on your PC, switch to a non-windows OS. ubuntu linux (also 100% FREE) is getting to the point where you could install it on a computer in front of a non-computer oriented person, and they can still use it with a minimal amount of effort and "re-learning". viruses and spyware are extremely limited on non-windows computers.

4.) blow your pc up. buy a mac. you still have to be conscious of security on your mac, but in a different way. there are basically no mac viruses in the wild, at all. yes... ZERO. "spyware" on macs is almost unheard of as well. i have been a windows user for over a decade, and have been using IBM-compatible personal computers since the mid-80s. i bought a macbook, and i think it was the best computer purchase i've ever made. i just wish they had a better video card in the smaller macbook... but i don't game on my laptop anyway.

Collapse -
IF renewing online...
by GBTrevor / August 4, 2006 1:59 AM PDT

... and you upgrade to 2006, I suggest you file the installer in a folder somewhere safe on the PC, better still copy it to CD. That way should you have a HD crash and reinstall windows you have Norton to hand to reinstall!

Collapse -
Norton Rebate Woes
by john55440 / August 4, 2006 2:57 AM PDT

Another issue is that Norton/Symantec has a nasty habit of denying legitimate rebate claims. Last time, they were so determined to cheat me, that I had to file a formal complaint with the State Attorney General to get my rebate.

That did it for me. When NAV05 and NPF05 expire, I am going to try something else. Besides, I have read a lot of complaints about their 06 line.

Collapse -
I uninstalled Norton completely
by gwingee / August 4, 2006 11:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Norton Rebate Woes

am going with FREE Mcafee I get with my comcast broadband internet service. for anyone who wants to uninstall Norton..completely they have it on their website..i called and found out...go to Symantec.com/autotools and use line 1....
so now..can I safely remove all that symantec that is in my recycle bin????

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yes
by 09Bentley / August 4, 2006 11:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
Symantec Rebates
by rdwngsfn21290 / August 5, 2006 5:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Norton Rebate Woes

I'm finished with Norton too.

They won't send the rebate, claiming I didn't include the bar code, which I did. So all I am left with is a full priced yellow box with a hole in it!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.