Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

NORTON INTERNET SECURITY 2009 AND ADAWARE COMPATABILITY

by oldieguy / January 5, 2010 1:12 AM PST

Can these two programs co-exist? I installed the adaware and pc would not reboot without opting for last good congig. i uninstalled the adaware. now back to normal.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NORTON INTERNET SECURITY 2009 AND ADAWARE COMPATABILITY
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NORTON INTERNET SECURITY 2009 AND ADAWARE COMPATABILITY
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Common Problem With Many Antivirus/Antispyware Suites
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 5, 2010 3:57 AM PST

McAfee is much the same way.. It generally won't install while Ad-Aware is on the machine.. It's important to note that best practice indicates there should only be one real-time antivirus and one real-time antispyware running on a computer. Ad-Aware installs its own "Service" and is therefore running in the background causing issues with other such antispyware programs also running in the background.. Using more than one such real-time scanner cause problems and as such, Norton is telling you the current situation must change..

It's your choice where to proceed from here.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Norton and AdAware
by Michael_York / January 5, 2010 5:21 AM PST

Hi oldieguy,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

The paid version of AdAware contains a real-time scanner and is therefore not compatible with Norton Internet Security. As Grif has already mentioned, you should never have more than one real-time internet security application installed at the same time or you can run into software conflicts which can also leave your system more vulnerable to threats.

I also wanted to let you know that as long as you have a valid subscription to Norton Internet Security, that you are entitled to a free product updates for the life of your subscription. The latest version of Norton Internet Security is the 2010 version, and I strongly encourage you to update.

To update to the latest version, please visit the Norton Update Center at the link below.

Norton Update Center

The update process should only take a few minutes to complete and when it is finished, manually run LiveUpdate and then complete a Full System Scan.

Thank you,
Mike

Collapse -
UPDATE TO 2010
by oldieguy / January 5, 2010 6:13 AM PST
In reply to: Norton and AdAware

i got an e-mail from norton a few months back informing me of free update to 2010. this update caused many troubles so i uninstalled and went back to 2009. i have noticed in the past that norton products miss [ or ignore some malware ]. spybot [which i uninstalled] found many that norton did not. i am presently running 2009 norton and nothing else. maybe i don't really need any other program for the malware. my paid norton is in my opinion much better than the very popular free avg. at work we have paid business version of avg. it lets all kind of bugs in.

Collapse -
Clean installation of Norton Intternet Security 2010
by Michael_York / January 6, 2010 8:04 AM PST
In reply to: UPDATE TO 2010

Hi oldieguy,

Sometimes an in-place upgrade to the latest version can cause problems with the newer version and the easiest way to resolve the issue is to properly remove the 2009 version and then install the 2010 version. It is always recommended that you have the latest version installed, so that you can take advantage of the new and enhanced features to keep your computer protected against the latest threats. Please carefully follow the instructions below to perform a clean installation of Norton Internet Security 2010.

1. Click on the following link to download the Norton Removal Tool:

Norton Removal Tool and Instructions

2. After you run the tool, please restart your computer. Then log in to Windows again and run the removal tool again. Restart your computer after it is finished running the second time as well.

3. Click on the link below and then choose the "Download" button under Norton Internet Security to download the latest installer.

Download the latest installer for Norton Internet Security

4. When the installation is complete, launch Norton Internet Security 2010 and manually run LiveUpdate to ensure you have the latest updates applied.

5. Complete a "Full System Scan" to check for threats.

Let me know if you experience any problems after completing the installation or if you need further assistance with Norton Internet Security 2010.

Thank you,
Mike

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.