Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Norton Internet Security 2008

by michhala / December 16, 2007 5:07 AM PST

I have used Norton/Symantec security products for many years, and my NIS 2005 is coming up for definition renewal. In the past, I have upgraded the software with a new version every third year.....so the time has come to upgrade to 2008, rather than renew 2005 defs. I have never had any problem with NIS -- it has worked very well for me.

Before upgrading, I would appreciate some feedback from Norton supporters who have NIS 2008 and if they have any unresolved problems.

My thanks.

Miki

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton Internet Security 2008
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton Internet Security 2008
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There's difference Miki
by Donna Buenaventura / December 16, 2007 9:38 AM PST

The earlier edition of NIS will allow you to:
1. Block the internet traffic by right-clicking the NIS icon
2. View logs of ALL sites that you've visited using a supported browser of the said edition
3. There's no Norton Protection Center in earlier edition (NIS 2005 and earlier)

NIS 2008 do not have #1 & #2 anymore so if you like the above features, you might want to just renew.
But if you like to take advantage of new features of the new edition:
- Crimeware protection
- Phishing protection
- Identity Safe (support Firefox and IE)
etc.. then you might go to it.

I'm using NIS 2008.. it is working well for me. There's few glitch in the past week and it is related to their program update but was fixed by another program patch - all done thru LiveUpdate.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Donna -- your info helps
by michhala / December 16, 2007 6:47 PM PST

I have never used the block internet traffic feature and the Web History log has always been blank, which was a puzzle to me. I never found a way to configure Web History and keeping a log of web sites I have visited was not something I needed......the other logs, however, have been very important to me.

One of the things I like about Norton/Symantec NIS is that it does not slow my computer, as did McAfee and Zone Alarm.

So now I have a decision to make.....to stay with comfortable, reliable old NIS 2005 and adhere to the philosophy of "if it ain't broke.........." or to take a chance and go for something new Happy

Miki

Collapse -
DON'T USE NORTON
by SEGMAT / December 17, 2007 12:25 AM PST

This is just my personal opinion, but use a free program like Avast or AVG free instead of any paid for security program. I would rate Norton as more problematic for your computer than the virus' that it is supposed to prevent.

Matt

Collapse -
Thank you, Matt but.......
by michhala / December 17, 2007 8:31 AM PST
In reply to: DON'T USE NORTON

When I requested feedback from Norton/Symantec supporters, it was because I was aware of how many posters have expressed their dislike for Norton products. Unfortunately, when we have a bad experience with a program we tend to voice our dissatisfaction loud and clear; OTOH we are less likely to voice our satisfaction.

I do appreciate your reply, however......since 1998 I have tried various security programs and always returned to Norton....it works for me. As for free programs, money is no object when it comes to my computer Happy That said, if within reason Norton lets me down, I am outta there.

Miki

Collapse -
Agreed!
by Waldorf PC / December 17, 2007 12:22 PM PST
In reply to: DON'T USE NORTON

I've never been a fan of NOrton mysef. I personally tell my clients not to bother with it. I've never had good experiences with it, and neither has anyone else I know.

Collapse -
You guys!!........
by michhala / December 17, 2007 1:56 PM PST
In reply to: Agreed!

.......always looking for an opening to knock Norton Happy

If I were to leave Norton because it did not do the same good work it has for the last 9 years, I would switch to NOD32.

Miki

Collapse -
(NT) Good luck in deciding Miki!
by Donna Buenaventura / December 17, 2007 4:10 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) My thanks, Donna :)
by michhala / December 17, 2007 8:32 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.