PC Applications forum

General discussion

Norton Ghost and SCSI Hard Drives

by Jatzzer / April 9, 2007 10:26 PM PDT

I am running a Win2k OS machine and am having a problem with Ghost. I am attempting to clone 1 HD to another on the SCSI cable. This system has an IDE HD. I am using a Adaptek 2906 PCI SCSI controller. Both HDs have automatic termination. SCSI HD 1 is ID 0 the other is 1. The drivers for SCSI controller are installed when I boot to DOS from a bootdisk.
The generic problem is this: When I start Ghost and attempt to clone disk to disk the software will not allow me to select one of the drives as a source but will allow me to select it as the destination. The one I want to select as the source is blanked out. This HD contains Win 3.1.1.
Note: As I attempted to get this to work I did start WIN2K with a new blank drive and went through the process of getting win2K to assign it a drive letter. This made the HD dynamic which is also what Ghost is reporting. This drive is selectable. A third HD was connected in place of this HD on the SCSI chain , without booting first with Win2k, and it was blanked out as well during source selection. Is there a problem with cloning Win 3.1.1, HD firmware, or something else? If so how can I clone it? Thanks for any replies!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton Ghost and SCSI Hard Drives
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton Ghost and SCSI Hard Drives
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Even if I dismiss Ghost's issues how did you intend to...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2007 10:42 PM PDT

Get Windows booting again? It doesn't survive such transfers and boot up. I've always had to perform a REPAIR INSTALL to get it back up and then more drivers.

As to Ghost and SCSI, next time try Acronis but if funds are at issue look up HDCLONE and see if that freebie works.

-> NO!!! I do not expect any drive cloner to successfully clone the drive from SCSI to any other type or same and have this OS boot and work. That's a long discussion why but I want it clearly understood.

Hope this helps.

I wonder what you mean by Win 3.1.1 after starting your discussion with Ghost and Win2k.

Bob

Collapse -
by Jatzzer / April 9, 2007 11:05 PM PDT

Will try the HDCLONE.

Ya win2k is difficult. ie 4 floppies for a boot disk!

The HD I want to clone contains Win 3.1. The master IDE HD contains Win2k..which I guess is irrelevent given that we are working under DOS. Should have been more specific. but it did matter in the case of Win2k making the destination HD dynamic.

Collapse -
Cloning WIN3.1.1 is a snap. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2007 11:14 PM PDT
In reply to: reply

Unlike older systems we can use XCOPY with the RICHKEYS or HICKORY switches and the copy to a DOS bootable drive should boot WIndows 3.1.1 right up. There is no reason to clone such a drive when simple works just fine.

What I mean by RICHKEYS is this. /R/I/C/H/K/E/Y/S or same with HICKERY or HICKORY.. I use these since it's easy to remember how to use XCOPY to clone a Windows 3.x machine.

Here's an article about it.
http://www.freelists.org/archives//techassist/01-2002/msg00232.html

I've even cloned Windows 98 this way.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.