Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Norton antivirus won't delete adware

by Arnold / October 27, 2004 12:27 AM PDT

Norton scans and reports adware but always replies "deletion failed" It keeps accumulating the number. I run Spy Sweeper which identifies the same adware but does delete them. Norton deletes other problems. How do I get rid of its adware report?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton antivirus won't delete adware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton antivirus won't delete adware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Norton antivirus won't delete adware
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 27, 2004 1:04 AM PDT

Arnold,

Frequently, spyware/adware/trojans are being "used" and "locked" when in "normal" Windows. As a result they can't be removed at that time. Try restarting the computer into "Safe Mode", then running Norton, or and other spyware removal tool. It should be able to delete the file while in "Safe Mode". If not, try removing the file manually.

CLICK HERE for How To Start in Safe Mode

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
How do I remove the spyware and tracking cookies "log"
by Mark Strombeck / October 31, 2007 1:16 AM PDT

From Norton 360? I tried the safe mode and going into "log" under Norton's program files, but the entries for what Norton 360 has found are still there. Please help. Thanks!

Collapse -
by Echo2 / October 27, 2004 6:49 AM PDT

Hi Arnold!

First of all, although it is unlikely, make sure you are not getting a false positive from Norton and Spy Sweeper. Make sure it is some form of ad or spyware.Go out to the net and google the file in question or post it here and we'll go looking for it.

Second, run Ad-Aware and Spybot. See if they pick it up. If they do, I would be surprised if they do not remove it.
Third, if you still have this problem, go into safe mode and run Spybot and Ad-aware and Spy Sweeper. They will have an easier time of removing the file in safe mode.
Finally, turn off the spyware and adware scanning in Norton by going to Options, Threat Categories and uncheck the boxes for adware and spyware scanning. This feature is not really necessary in Norton anyway.

Take care!

Collapse -
What is the name of adware?
by Donna Buenaventura / October 27, 2004 7:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: What is the name of adware?
by Arnold / October 29, 2004 11:32 AM PDT

Several: including EECEngines.exe; Gator Res. dll; GMT.exe; Precision Time.exe. etc. I can delete all these manually from Norton knowing that Spy Sweeper has already taken them out. It seems that Norton does not delete adware but does take out infected files. Thanks. I'm satified with the ansers I recevied. Arnold

Collapse -
by Echo2 / October 27, 2004 8:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
Why use Norton???
by ssdtanay / October 31, 2007 7:05 AM PDT

Why are you using Norton Antivirus when there are more better programs than that???
Use Spyware Doctor. I use it.

Collapse -
Why Use Spyware Doctor? It's Not An Antivirus..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 31, 2007 9:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Why use Norton???

If you're going to be effective at removing ALL types of malware, you'll want tools that remove them all.. Spyware Doctor isn't good at virus detection..

And hopefully, you'll notice that you responded to someone that posted # YEARS ago.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.