Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Norton Anti Virus 2006 and failed "LU1875 update"

by cvivcollins / May 2, 2006 6:14 AM PDT

I upgraded from Symantec anti-virus 2005 to Norton's Anti Virus 2006 and since then (April 1) have not been able to run Live Update. I have downloaded files 20060622-006-i32 and 20060422-006-x86 manually, as instructed by the product's "Help/Support" but none will install, because the "virus definition is out-of-date"
The Symantec Tech support suggests that I remove "damaged LiveUpdate files" and replace them. To do that I need to Set WIndows to show all files and find Product.Inventory.LiveUpdate file. However I can find no such file.
As I upgraded on-line, I have no way of uninstalling and re-installing the Symantec program. What can I do to solve the problem?
(Systems and other tech.info. follows:
CPU - Dell Dimension 8250, Intel Pentium 4; 2.66GHz 512MB PC1066 RDRAM; OS: WindowsXP 5.1 + SP2; Internet Explorer v.6.0.2900.2180; Norton AntiVirus v.12.2.0; LiveUpdate v.3.0.0.154; LiveUpdate Status 0;
Security Risk: Unremoved Type: Adware.PrecisionTime)
Grateful for any help.
Carol

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton Anti Virus 2006 and failed "LU1875 update"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton Anti Virus 2006 and failed "LU1875 update"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My suggestion would have been
by roddy32 / May 2, 2006 6:27 AM PDT

to uninstall/reinstall but seeing as you have no disc, unless someone here has a better idea, I can give you a free telephone number that you can try but be prepared to hold on for a long time. 1-800-441-7234

Collapse -
My Suggestion...
by cvivcollins / May 2, 2006 11:06 AM PDT

Roddy32
Thanks for your help, I'll hold the tel.no. as a last resort. I can't see why Symantec wouldn't allow me another download. We'll see.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Good luck to you. :)
by roddy32 / May 9, 2006 10:19 PM PDT
In reply to: My Suggestion...
Collapse -
Not a suggestion.. but a question..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / May 2, 2006 6:46 AM PDT

Carol .. can I presume when you said you couldn't find the damaged LiveUpdate files, that it wasn't because you were unable to unhide the files and folders?

I don't use Norton and can't be of much help. I only wanted to make sure this wasn't the reason.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Suggestions..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / May 2, 2006 7:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
Suggestions
by cvivcollins / May 2, 2006 10:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Suggestions..

Curcat
Thank you very much for both responses - I could not find the files, so I shall follow through on your suggestions and will report. For the second part of the problem -i.e. no CD/DVD, I'll try calling that tel.no. given by Roddy.

Collapse -
Why are you unable to...
by tomron / May 2, 2006 9:36 AM PDT

uninstall and re-install

Click HERE for removal instructions

Tom

Collapse -
Why are you unable to ...
by cvivcollins / May 2, 2006 11:02 AM PDT

Tom
Thank you so much - very useful. I'll also check to see if Symantec will allow me another download of the program.

Collapse -
I've Just solved the Problem.
by RJM7084 / May 9, 2006 7:05 PM PDT

I installed 2006 in March - I had 2002 before then. Live update gave me the same message as above. I tried running intellegent update - it said it works but my Virus definitions were still not up to date.

I tried running various things symantic suggested but they didn't work.

The suggestion they gave me which worked was -

I searched my pc for Catalog.LIveSubscibe and MyProfile.UserProfile (with check hidden files). I deleted these 2 files. I un-installed Norton 2006. I downloaded Norton 2006 - I clicked on the installation ICON.

I then did a basic Clean Boot restart and installed from what I had originally downloaded. It worked! I can forward the email to anyone who requests it!

Collapse -
LU1875
by mrheadz / May 14, 2006 5:22 AM PDT

Thanks for the info.

I have the exact problem.

Could you pls send the email with instructions, and I will work through this.

Thanks,

Doug

Collapse -
This is what I did
by RJM7084 / May 15, 2006 1:07 AM PDT
In reply to: LU1875

1. Do one of the following:
In Windows XP, on the taskbar, click Start > My Computer.
In Windows 2000/Me/98, on the Windows desktop, double-click the My Computer icon.
2. Do one of the following:
In Windows XP/2000/Me, on the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
In Windows 98, on the View menu, click Folder Options.
3. On the View tab, un check Hide file extensions for known file types.
4. Do one of the following:
In Windows XP/2000/Me, un check Hide protected operating system files. Then, under the "Hidden files" folder, click Show hidden files and folders.
In Windows 98, in the Advanced Settings box, under the "Hidden files" folder, click Show all files.
5. If you see a warning message, click Yes.
6. Click Apply.
7. Click OK.

I then

Now, search and delete the Subscription files:

1. Click Start, point to Find or Search, and click Files or Folders.
2. Make sure that "Look in" is set to (C:) and that Include subfolders is checked.
3. In the "Named" or "Search for..." box, type--or copy and paste--the following text:

Note: Since you are using Windows XP then Click on More Advanced Options below the "Look in" option then check "Search hidden files and folders"

Catalog.LiveSubscribe
MyProfile.UserProfile

4. Click Find Now or Search Now.
5. Delete the files that are displayed

I then Deinstalled Norton Anti Virus. I did this by Clicking on the by clicking on the ICON which was was created when I downloaded Norton - this ran NAV061220.exe. This deinstalled Norton - Even though I clicked on the Install Button.

I then Cleanbooted my PC. To do this I used the following document

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2002040815531039?Open&src=con_ols_nam

I just did the basic Reboot. I then installed Norton by clicking on the ICON I had used to deinstall the product NAV061220.exe.

Collapse -
Re: LU1875 "This is what I did"
by cvivcollins / May 15, 2006 9:32 AM PDT
In reply to: This is what I did

Thank you for this very clear description of what you did. Unfortunately I am stuck at one point. The ICON on my desktop which was created when I downloaded Norton shows up with a message instead of the NAV061220.exe. The message is "Resume Norton Antivirus 2006...." When I click on that I am being forced to complete the download. I am not sure what this means because I had already completed the download before I got that LU1875 message.

What is your best suggestion? Should I complete the download and if it does not work try your instructions again? Incidentally, I was not aware of that message under the ICON until after I removed the 2 files related to Catalog.LiveSubscribe and MyProfile.UserProfile - but perhaps that was just an oversight on my part.

Looking forward to your reply. Thanks.

Collapse -
I've found the following
by RJM7084 / May 16, 2006 6:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thank you
by cvivcollins / May 17, 2006 3:06 AM PDT

This has been most useful, thank you very much. I am grateful for all the help received.

Thanks also to the moderator and all those who provided advice - a learning experience for me in every instance. The CNET Forum is a great facility.

Collapse -
Thanks for Helping LU1875
by jackdonohue / June 5, 2006 11:52 AM PDT

Please email cure for this to paster99@yahoo.com

Thank you.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yuck ! Norton Antivirus ? You must be crazy !
by Pcfreakske2000 / June 6, 2006 3:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Why?
by Terry Browne / June 7, 2006 8:30 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.