Spyware, Viruses, & Security

General discussion

Norton 360 & Windows Defender. Do they conflict??

by tom4561 / July 13, 2007 2:01 AM PDT

During the install process for Norton 360, I was made to uninstall Windows Defender. Does that mean they conflict, or should I re-install Windows Defender? Thanks in advance, Tom.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton 360 & Windows Defender. Do they conflict??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton 360 & Windows Defender. Do they conflict??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes, you can install Windows Defender again.
by Donna Buenaventura / July 13, 2007 5:40 AM PDT

There should be no conflict. I tried Norton 360 weeks ago with Windows Defender installed.

Collapse -
thanks for the reply Donna, I'll re-install.
by tom4561 / July 13, 2007 5:47 AM PDT

Would it be best if I google WD and just download? Or do I need to use Windows Installer first? Do you have any links? Tom.

Collapse -
(NT) TYVM Donna. It's working great.
by tom4561 / July 13, 2007 9:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Download link
Collapse -
(NT) YW! :-)
by Donna Buenaventura / July 14, 2007 12:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
Norton 360 & Windows defender
by HOHOIII / July 14, 2007 12:13 AM PDT

Yes it will.I suggest remove Norton and run Windows defender from services.msc.Better will be and both will not be required but your purpose will be served if you instal Live one care.Go for free 90 days trial.It will serve both the purpose.Defender will not work,and there will be no need of Norton.

Collapse -
It does not.
by Donna Buenaventura / July 14, 2007 12:50 AM PDT

No conflict on Windows Defender and Norton products. Even other security suite want to remove another antispyware simply because they think it covers everything. Installing it again is the work-around.

Show us why it conflicts?

Collapse -
Windows defender and Norton
by HOHOIII / July 14, 2007 1:04 AM PDT
In reply to: It does not.

I beg to differ.Updates will not work as it should.Defender brings updates.

Collapse -
I'm sorry but I have Norton 360 right now in a test system
by Donna Buenaventura / July 14, 2007 7:34 PM PDT

with Windows Defender installed. I see no problem in updating 360 and WD Happy

Collapse -
Norton and WD
by HOHOIII / July 14, 2007 8:02 PM PDT

Which version of WD? And inform me please if Microsoft update,windows update all are working properly.With me it did not.So I removed,and opted for Live one Care.

Collapse -
Windows Defender versions
by Donna Buenaventura / July 16, 2007 1:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Norton and WD

Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1505.0 - Vista
Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1593.0 - XP

I have them in each system and I've tried Norton 360 in XP system with WD v1.1.1593.0. No problem in updating Windows, Office, Windows Defender and Norton 360.

MU is working properly too.

Collapse -
defender not working correctly at all
by michael.gillott / July 17, 2007 6:08 AM PDT

Hello Donna,
I am interested in your narrative of versions of Defender on xp and vista, I am running Vista Home Premium and Defender that comes with it is either not working or I have no access, all atempts to uninstall have failed, can it be uninstalled from Vista, its not causing me any pain but I like things to do what they say on the tin !

All the best mick

Collapse -
No, you can't uninstall WD in Vista
by Donna Buenaventura / July 17, 2007 6:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
windows defender
by michael.gillott / July 17, 2007 6:46 AM PDT

Thank you Donna for that, blimey it was quick.

Thank you Donna I will follow your advice on this, I have run Vista from day 1 and Defender has never worked correctly, any time you open it it tells you it has stopped working and sends an error report, still waiting for a solution, but hey ho I will switch it off now.

All the best
Mick

Collapse -
(NT) You're welcome Mick!
by Donna Buenaventura / July 17, 2007 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: windows defender
Collapse -
good try
by michael.gillott / July 17, 2007 8:29 AM PDT
In reply to: You're welcome Mick!

Hello Donna
Tried what you said, and guess what !

error 0x800106ba problem caused program service to stop.

I cant even get into it to do anything, well well, you would think microsoft would at least get their own o s working right.
Thank you for your help Donna, I will try to figure a solution.

All the best Mick
( trying not to lose the plot )

Collapse -
Mick
by Donna Buenaventura / July 17, 2007 9:49 AM PDT
In reply to: good try

Try this:
1. Make sure that your system has the correct date, time, year.
2. Open Windows Update from Vista's Start menu and check for updates. Install the updates if there is available.

If the above won't help, I suggest to this:
Start>run then type MSCONFIG
Hit OK
Select 'startup' tab then uncheck "Windows Defender"
Note: This is temporary work-around only.

0x800106ba - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931849
Known issue in WD but their solution applies to XP only.

Collapse -
I have no conflict running both Norton and Windows Defender
by mfumbly / July 20, 2007 4:58 PM PDT

I run both WD and Norton Internet Secutiry suite on Vista with absolutely no conflicts of any kind, and have done so for several months. In fact, I find WD to be quite useful at times.

Collapse -
Just to ask

After all the discussions about Norton 360 and Windows Defender, I would like to ask a specific question:

Will the results (no conflict) be the same if, let's say, I have a Norton 360 in Windows XP and would want to install Windows Defender?

Collapse -
(NT) No problem on that setup.
by Donna Buenaventura / July 21, 2007 2:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Just to ask
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.