Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Norton 360 - Online Storage - "Need it Or Not"

by negy18 / December 17, 2009 7:43 AM PST

Just installed Norton 360 on one of my computers. After completing a scan and no viruses were found, it now telling me that I have low storage for backup. Please add more storage. Avalil. space 89.0 mb total space 2GB. They are telling me to buy more storage for 1 year.
5 GB storage $29.99 - 10 GB 49.99 etc. Is this something that I need to get? Can I do any thing else by myself. What will happen if I do not get thais addition storage. Does this mean after buying their program I would have to spend more money every year? Thanks for your HELP!! Don't know what to do !!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton 360 - Online Storage - "Need it Or Not"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton 360 - Online Storage - "Need it Or Not"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I Guess 1ST Questions Is...
by tobeach / December 17, 2009 2:29 PM PST

how full is your hard drive?? How much space is available?

Click on My Computer> Right click C: drive (if this is OS drive)
Click "properties" and write down how many megs/gigs are shown as free & available. If your HD was REALLY that full I would expect you'd have considerable difficulties functioning & likely be UNABLE to even do a defrag.

Yes, if you took the deal, you would be paying them yearly, for "extra" storage not on your machine (maybe unavailable should you be unable to access the internet).

You can, for modest money, buy a USB thumb drive of 8 Gigs for about $20 to off load various items (creating more free HD)or do full back up onto a couple of DVDs (assuming you have a DVD burner) or 6+ CDs or to a ext. hard drive used for storage.

Unless there is something new in the program and it will prevent you doing a back up of the machine in normal manor, you don't need to rent space.

Note: I don't use Norton so perhaps I'm missing something? Happy

Collapse -
It looks to me like that is "Optional"
by roddy32 / December 17, 2009 8:40 PM PST

"2GB Secure Online Storage with 5, 10, and 25 GB storage increment purchase options"

and also

"Protects your important files from loss ? Automatically backs up files when your PC is idle, so backups won?t slow you down or get in your way. Includes 2 GB of secured online storage (with option to purchase more)."

http://www.norton360online.com/

IMO there are cheaper ways to backup data.

As far as your question of "Does this mean after buying their program I would have to spend more money every year?". Yes, you would have to renew the subscription once a year for the virus definitions and program updates but that is the same with MOST paid products.

Collapse -
Need it or Not"
by Carol~ Forum moderator / December 18, 2009 12:36 AM PST

negy..

In my opinion, it's an optional feature. If in saying, "after buying their program would I have to spend more money every year", you're asking if you have to continue paying extra for the storage each year, I would suggest you read the first thread below. IF you choose to buy it, the below instructs one how to use "Manage Backup Sets", where storage space would be freed up for reuse. I would think a lot depends upon, how much data you have (and need) to back up, at any given time.

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=Norton_360&message.id=11044&query.id=1135860#M11044

Have a look at the other threads. It's from the [url-http://community.norton.com/norton/board?board.id=Norton_360]Norton 360 sub-forum, at the Norton Community Forum, and may shed some further light on the issue.

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=Norton_360&thread.id=14371

And here are two pages worth of threads, regarding the same issue, which may also be worth looking through.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Mozy online backup
by davidmicohen / December 18, 2009 11:58 AM PST

I use MOZY backup, it is 4.95 for as much as you need.. they provide the utilities, I have used them to Restore my computer, it is priceless, but very reasonable,(I don't work for them, nor do I get referral credit.) Money, well spent...

Collapse -
Just make a regular backup
by mwooge / December 20, 2009 11:45 AM PST

Just make a regular backup, preferably monthly, more often if it's important or you're running a business. Make it onto DVD or another hard drive and store it in a safe or, better yet, off site.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.