Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Norton 360 and Zone Alarm

by hudgybear / September 20, 2007 7:31 AM PDT

Hi,

I was wondering if I should put zone alarm as an extra along with Norton 360 or is kind of redundant?

I am using Norton 360 with vista

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton 360 and Zone Alarm
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton 360 and Zone Alarm
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Remember to use
by PudgyOne / September 20, 2007 7:41 AM PDT

only one firewall. Using more than one firewall makes them conflict with each other, causing problems. I have used the Windows Vista Firewall, one my sister's computer. Seems better than the older operating systems.

I personally use Zone Alarm for my firewall. I disabled the Windows firewall to use this. I also no longer use Norton for virus protection. It is a resource hog. I use Avast (Free) for my virus protection.

Rick

Collapse -
re: remember
by hudgybear / September 20, 2007 1:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Remember to use

Hi,

I understand not to use two firewalls.

I guess what I was asking was how effective was the one in Norton 360. Also my understanding of 360 was that it used far less resources to run then the other symantic programs. When I got my system they disabled the windows vista firewall and have my machine relying on 360.

What I am hearing you say is to ditch 360 and use zone alarm and avast.

Now I wonder how avast compares to avg?

Collapse -
Avast and AVG are both good
by PudgyOne / September 20, 2007 1:33 PM PDT
In reply to: re: remember

I have tried both of them.

Avast updates periodically, whenever there's an update. You have to do a manual scan, but the real time protection is great. Verbal update(sounds like Kit from Knight Rider).

AVG updates the same time everyday. If the computer is NOT on, then it will try to update on the next update. Sometimes it tries before your connected. It also will scan your computer everyday at a set time. Real time protection works great also.

There's the difference. Personal preference.

Rick

Collapse -
Norton must go
by OttifantSir / December 21, 2007 9:47 AM PST
In reply to: re: remember

Tests have shown Norton to be the worst security suite out there. A personal one, consisting of avast! or AVG for antivirus, Ad-Aware and Spybot for scanning manually for spyware/adware. Personally I like Tea Timer (of Spybot) for stopping registry changes, and Spyware Terminator for live spyware scanning.
Comodo Firewall or ZoneAlarm is my recommendation for a firewall. There are many, many others, but with the exception of SpyWare Terminator, I have seen all of these programs get awards from magazines and large reputable websites.

Collapse -
norton 360 amazing power
by bagamam / February 13, 2008 11:27 PM PST
In reply to: Norton must go

No you are wrong sure norton 360 is resource hog but the protection is really superb i've tried it with many dangerous sites and my brother fully infected pc ..it has cleared 7 virus ...and it happened that he is using zone alarm pro and including antivirus+antispyware...it really amazed me because zone alarm is my favorite and it will always be,,,,,,my PC process with zonealarm was 31 now wiz norton 360 it process 25 and really happy wiz that

Collapse -
don't worry it works.
by anonymous x / December 17, 2007 4:56 AM PST

Zonealarm works together with norton internet security, I tried both at the same time. i am now installing Norton 360, I will tell you how it goes.

Collapse -
It works.
by anonymous x / December 19, 2007 8:23 AM PST
In reply to: don't worry it works.

it works for me, and I also use AVG free at the same time.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.