Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

None of my programs are opening

by thesetravels / June 6, 2007 10:55 AM PDT

When I came on the computer today, the first thing that came up was a warning from Lavasoft Ad-Aware telling me something about a regkey being modified and then it said Allow or Block. I figured it was a bad thing, so I clicked block and went on. My Firefox was working fine. However, when I went to open my iTunes, nothing happened. The only program working for me was Firefox. So, I restarted my computer and all of my icons to different programs showed up as errors (I don't know if that's the right word, but none of them would open). So, since I couldn't run any of my anti-virus programs to do a scan, I went online and ran the Trend Micro House Call scan... But, each time I do it, it gets to a certain point and then my taskbar disappears and I can't get it back.

I've tried searching everywhere for a solution but they all require me downloading something which doesn't work since I can't open any windows.

This is a HUGE problem for me and it would be great if someone could help. I hope I gave enough information, but if that's not enough, I'll be glad to give more...

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: None of my programs are opening
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: None of my programs are opening
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you boot in safe mode?
by strickjh2005 / June 6, 2007 11:49 AM PDT

Then try opening the start menu and going to run. Type C:\

Once that is open go ahead and go to the program files folder.

Try opening up various .exe files. If they are still broken then it sounds like the reg edit was for explorer. Anyway do a system restore by going to start>accessories> system tools> system restore. Follow the steps.

Hope you are all set.

Collapse -
Still won't work
by thesetravels / June 6, 2007 11:53 AM PDT

None of the exe files for my programs are opening and neither will System Restore.

When I click System Restore I get this message:

Windows cannot open this file: System Restore.lnk

And then it asks me if I want to open the file from a list or by searching the internet for the right program.

Collapse -
Re: Still won't work
by Tufenuf / June 6, 2007 12:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Still won't work

thesetravels, Go to the link below and scroll down to line 12 (left column) and click on "EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP" to download a reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

If you can't access the Internet use another computer to download it onto a floppy or CD and transfer it to the problem computer. If you can't run the file do the following:

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter. Once regedit is open click File>Import and locate that reg file fix, hilite it and click Open.

Collapse -
This Fix Really Works! Thank you Tufenuf and Kellys-Korner
by HawaiiInsider / February 10, 2013 2:34 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Still won't work

This fix really worked for me. I got my system up and running again after having tried System Restore (which in Microsoft fashion does not work). You have to go to properties on the task bar AFTER doing the kellys-korner fix (number 12 on the list).
Major Lesson:
I was searching for a software and driver for my scanner which resulted in a lot of "free download" of the software and driver. They all were NOT the driver but a software that supposedly finds the driver for you. Avoid these links as they can destroy your registry. I even did a Norton scan on these files but it did not find any problems with them. But, still, I had my registry messed up by one of these programs. I suspect that the software was unstable and caused all my icons not to work. The system tray lost all of the icons, too.

Collapse -
exefix for win 7
by scc-tech / April 17, 2013 3:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Still won't work

I have the Exe starting issue in windows 7. The programs can open if accessing a data file (ie word opens if you open a doc file) it only occurs in one user's profile not in another user profile.

Collapse -
Neat but troubling issue. "Corrupt Profile."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2013 3:38 AM PDT
In reply to: exefix for win 7
Collapse -
Seen This?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 17, 2013 9:17 AM PDT
In reply to: exefix for win 7

Although Bob's correct about the problems with a corrupt profile, if the issue is as simple as a broken .lnk or .exe file association, the link below should allow you to fix them. (Use the LNK fix first to fix broken shortcuts, then the use .exe fix if the first fix doesn't get it done.)

Remember though, many times, broken file associations are caused by malware.. If you haven't already, download, install, update, then run full scans using BOTH of the free programs at the links below. Delete anything they fine and see if it helps the overall problem.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
The usual fixes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2007 12:02 PM PDT
Collapse -
Sorry, but I'm still a little confused
by thesetravels / June 6, 2007 12:28 PM PDT
In reply to: The usual fixes.

Okay so I downloaded the zip file and unzipped it and then the file inside obviously didn't work. So I followed the instructions at the top to open REGEDIT and that worked but I'm not sure where to go from there...

Collapse -
Re: Sorry, but I'm still a little confused
by Tufenuf / June 6, 2007 12:41 PM PDT

thesetravels, Once regedit is open click File>Import and locate that reg file fix, hilite it and click Open. See my other reply above.

Collapse -
by thesetravels / June 6, 2007 1:07 PM PDT

Ah thank you soo much! It worked! There's still a few problems, but everything's fine.

Thank you :).

Collapse -
Re: Thanks!
by Tufenuf / June 6, 2007 1:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.