Computer Help forum

Question

Non-system disk, disk error?

by AndyNeva / December 31, 2012 4:52 AM PST

First post, sadly as I read cnet.com all the time.
Here goes the long, sad story.

My bf ordered a refusbished computer for me from tigerdirect.com. It was meant to be a surprise for me, but has turned into a nightmare.

If anyone is familiar with TD they buy refurbished computers from Joy Systems. Now both of these companies have some bad customer service, with Joy Systems being the absolute worst.
Everytime I start the computer I get a message saying non-disk system or disk error. There was no recovery disc included with the system. There is a product key, and they informed me that there MIGHT be a recovery partition on the computer.

Question: How do I access the said partition to do a reinstall of the Windows 7 that is supposed to be in the computer?

Comp info: HP DC5850 64x2, attempting to run Windows 7.

I would call these companies for support, but TD only sends me to Joy Systems, who I don't even believe have representatives. Everytime I call it immediately says all representatives are busy and then it prompts me to leave a message, after which I am informed that the voicemail box is full.

Hopefully someone can help me with this. Thanks in advanced.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Non-system disk, disk error?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Non-system disk, disk error?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did it ever boot?
by Edward ODaniel / December 31, 2012 8:52 AM PST

The error you indicated usually always indicates that whatever boot device it is set in the BIOS to boot from isn't present.

I would suggest accessing the BIOS and seeing if the hard drive is "seen" by the BIOS and also to ensure that the boot order has the hard drive as the first or second boot device (second if you have the CD or DVD set as the First device).

If already set to boot from the hard drive but the hard drive doesn't show as being present open the case and see if the data and power cables are properly connected to both the drives and the motherboard. Quite often the cables can come unattached during shipping.

Collapse -
Never booted
by AndyNeva / December 31, 2012 11:32 AM PST
In reply to: Did it ever boot?

It never booted to my knowledge.
I will try this as the case seems loose.
Thanks!!

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Even a refurb has a warranty.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2012 5:05 AM PST

And if it's a DOA, then there are usually return options. If you want to begin a new career in PC repair, let us know.

About the recovery. Given the message that is not something I expect to work.
Bob

Collapse -
Return
by AndyNeva / December 31, 2012 11:34 AM PST

It does have a warranty and I was given the option to return, but only if I got a claim number from JoySystems. At this point, given all the times I've tried to call, it doesn't seem like JoySystems will give me any sort of answer, much less any claim number. That's why I came here to try to see if I could get it to work. However if I can't I will most likely just strongarm tigerdirect.

Collapse -
How to strongarm.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2013 1:13 AM PST
In reply to: Return

Call the credit card company and dispute the charge because the unit is DOA.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
If you have the COA key,...
by wpgwpg / December 31, 2012 5:10 AM PST

... you can download the Windows 7 ISO from Digital River at
http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/ . Be sure to download the ISO corresponding to what was originally installed (i.e. 32 vs 64 bit, Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, etc.). If you don't have the software to burn the ISO to a DVD, you can use the free Imgburn which you can download from http://www.imgburn.com .
You can also boot from a Ubuntu, UBCD or Windows 7 repair disc to look at what's currently on the hard drive.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Thanks
by AndyNeva / December 31, 2012 11:36 AM PST

I thought of that, but it just seemed silly to have to go through all that when it was supposed to come ready to use with the operating system out of the box.
I do need it for school/work so I guess I'm willing to try. Thanks!

Collapse -
Just remembered.
by AndyNeva / December 31, 2012 11:39 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

The CD tray is stuck and won't open at all.
Since it is first in the boot order, could it be this?
I don't think this makes much sense, but it can't hurt to ask. Plain

Collapse -
could it be this?
by RCF_Rose / December 31, 2012 12:30 PM PST
In reply to: Just remembered.

Yes it could! There should be a tiny hole on the front of the CD tray, straighten a heavy paper clip and firmly push the end of the paper clip into the hole. You may have to push rather hard, the drive will be pushed back, raise up and open.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Use the warranty, period
by Willy / December 31, 2012 9:00 PM PST

You shouldn't have to deal with all these problems. The plain fact if the Joy people don't return calls, etc. then make issue. If you need to contact your state Atty. General to get things going. The BBB is another choice. What is happening, very likely is they're dragging their feet and hoping you give-up or exceed the warranty period with no recourse. Don't even settle for a fix, just get the $ back. If it never worked, anything you possibility do is going to lead to costs to you. Get out of this loop, demand $ back. Now, you know why TD has customer problems and continues. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Boot order
by RCF_Rose / January 1, 2013 3:49 AM PST

In the first response to your post Edward said "The error you indicated usually always indicates that whatever boot device it is set in the BIOS to boot from isn't present."

Is the CD/DVD player even plugged into the mobo? Have you opened the case and checked the connections?

?

Collapse -
Answer
You Have a Lot of Patience
by baybreeze / January 1, 2013 1:36 AM PST

I sure applaud you for all of your patience, I would never last that long with all those issues. If no one gets back to you, then you do have other options to get them to respond and resolve your issue. I have personally resorted to contacting a well-known PC magazine for help with an issue I had with a TV and the manufacturer was absolutely awful. Couldn't get through, couldn't get anything resolved, etc....I gave them a couple chances (though they should have resolved it on the first call being it was defective) and that was it. It was after I contacted the magazine that the mfr suddenly wanted to help me. (And that was because the magazine had contacted them).

I had another problem with some shoes I ordered through a 3rd party on Amazon. It was a known department store that shipped me filthy, dirty shoes. They wanted ME to pay to return them...I don't think so. The shoes were sold as brand new and they shipped me someone else's used, and I mean filthy, return. In this case, it only involved putting a terrible review on Amazon and telling the dept store that I would post all the pictures I took of the shoes online. Suddenly they told me they didnt want to bother returning the shoes, and they credited my account VERY quickly.

Of course, all the options that others posted are also available, so if I were you, I wouldn't stand for what you are going through trying to fix something that you should have no problem being able to return.

Collapse -
Fixed it.
by AndyNeva / January 4, 2013 2:04 AM PST

They didn't send install any operating system on the computer. That was the basic problem.
I took it to a computer repair store to make sure that's what it was and sure enough, no operating system. AND a broken CD tray.
Thank you everybody!!
Both tigerdirect and JoySystems will be hearing from me.

Collapse -
Great!
by RCF_Rose / January 4, 2013 6:28 AM PST
In reply to: Fixed it.

Glad you got it solved!

Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.