TVs & Home Theaters forum


Non-Standard 3.5mm Audio Plug

by rvastronomer / November 26, 2012 12:28 AM PST

I just bought a new Samsung 55" ultra slim LED TV. The Audio Out Mini Jack on the back of the set accepts a 3.5mm standard audio plug (like for a headset) but the plug only travels half way into the socket.

The set is so thin that the length of a standard 3.5mm audio plug is the full thickness of the TV set.

Is there such a thing as a short 3.5mm audio plug? What would such a plug be called?

Samsung techical support could not answer my questions, and the User Manual only has note "to use an appopriate audio connector."

Any help would be appreciated - I have to use the analog out port/jack to support an Assisted Hearing device that only accepts analog signals.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Non-Standard 3.5mm Audio Plug
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Non-Standard 3.5mm Audio Plug
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When these are new, a little more force is needed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2012 12:37 AM PST

But then you write it's going to possibly poke through. Time to call 1800SAMSUNG (USA) and ask this question but so far I've only seen standard length stereo connections.


Collapse -
Please provide model number
by Pepe7 / November 26, 2012 4:26 AM PST

Without that, we can't troubleshoot exactly what you are looking at.

Is there also a digital optical output? If so, perhaps there would be a converter?

Collapse -
Probably a stupid question on my part
by asdgfhjk / November 26, 2012 12:20 PM PST

...but are you 100% sure it isn't just a typo and its supposed to be a 2.5mm? I would think ultra thin TVs would have switched to 2.5mm jacks like small hand held devices use.

Collapse -
It's possible, but...
by Pepe7 / November 26, 2012 11:29 PM PST sources tell me otherwise. If so, a simple 3.5 to 2.5mm converter would all it takes, hopefully.

Again, if we could train folks who post here to provide actual model numbers of their equipment <sigh>....


Collapse -
I like your comment about Optical ports.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2012 12:09 AM PST
In reply to: It's possible, but...

You cringe as you see folk trying to jam a headphone jack into the optical port.

Collapse -
I really wish manufacturers would make this easier
by Pepe7 / November 27, 2012 4:18 AM PST

Would save me a few keystrokes Wink

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions


Big screens for the big game

Still looking for the best TV deals ahead of Sunday's game? Here are our top three big screen picks.