Samsung forum

General discussion

Non Functioning HDMI port for SAMSUNG LN52B750

by joelaun / December 28, 2009 2:31 AM PST

Anyone had this problem

I have a SAMSUNG LN52B750 LCD with Verizon FIOS for cable service. All worked extemely well for about 2 months. At that point the HDMI port just quit working (component cables work fine). Called Verizon - they reset the box - no change, they sent me a new box - no change. Called SAMSUNG tech support - reached a very very rude woman who told me it was Verizon's problem and to use component cables. I found a software update online from SAMSUNG and updated my TV - HDMI conection suddenly began to work (what do you know not a verizon problem). Now after about 7 weeks the HDMI port quite working again and since there are no new softwar updates I am stuck. Any ideas- SAMSUNG support has been useless and they are clearly not standing by their product.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Non Functioning HDMI port for SAMSUNG LN52B750
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Non Functioning HDMI port for SAMSUNG LN52B750
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Non Functioning HDMI port for SAMSUNG LN52B750
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 28, 2009 8:12 AM PST
Collapse -
SAMSUNG HDMI issues
by joelaun / December 28, 2009 10:36 PM PST

Tech appointment for 6 JAN 10 - will see how that goes. Thanks

Collapse -
SAMSUNG HDMI issues
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 30, 2009 7:03 PM PST
In reply to: SAMSUNG HDMI issues

joelaun,

Good news. Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Service
by joelaun / December 30, 2009 9:36 PM PST

Well they just rescheduled for 12 JAN - so much for prompt service - over 2 weeks seems excessive -

Collapse -
HDMI Problem follow-up
by oscaroif2 / December 31, 2009 12:55 AM PST
In reply to: Service

HDMI ports stopped working/not working properly... The tech on the phone said he ordered the part which happens to be a motherboard for the TV. I wonder if simply changing the motherboard (hardware) would solve the problem or just be a temporary fix to a driver problem (software). This worries me.

Collapse -
SAMSUNG HDMI troubles
by joelaun / January 5, 2010 1:57 AM PST
In reply to: HDMI Problem follow-up

Oscar

Tech on phone told me the same thing - we will see next week - this worries me as well especially since I fixed the problewm the last time with a software update or that SAMSUNG has so many motherboard problems out of the box.

Collapse -
HDMI problem - Samsung TOC
by oscaroif2 / January 5, 2010 8:50 AM PST
In reply to: SAMSUNG HDMI troubles

Tech came by today and changed the motherboard. Everything works so far. There was no available software update with this motherboard. I have to redo my settings now. Hopefully this visit took care of the problem. We'll see in a couple of months after normal use. The motherboard itself is said to cost upwards of $100+ but you have to figure the cost of the tech's house call as well. Just in case someone's TV isn't covered by warranty any more.

Collapse -
motherboard
by oscaroif2 / January 5, 2010 8:53 AM PST
In reply to: SAMSUNG HDMI troubles

I wonder if the motherboard can be purchased by the consumer directly. It really is not at all difficult to swap. Just a few screws need to be removed and be sure to keep grounded so as to not damage the circuitry with static discharge.

Collapse -
Repair SAMSUNG HDMI
by joelaun / January 13, 2010 2:42 AM PST

Well the tech was here today - replaced the main board - works fine. Lets see how long this lasts.

Collapse -
HDMI Ports stop working
by oscaroif2 / December 28, 2009 8:48 AM PST

HDMI ports just stopped working today. HDMI-1 shows what's connected on HDMI-4 but without sound. HDMI-1 doesn't show what's connected to HDMI-1. I just called Samsung to arrange a service tech visit. They told me they'll fax the information to them and the tech will follow up with me soon. I hope the problem gets fixed soon. All the hype about the new Samsung TVs, including the high reviews but this problem could sink their platinum-caliber product if not resolved soon for their consumers.

Collapse -
I have the same problem
by bfull1478 / January 7, 2010 9:33 AM PST

Hi, I have been searching Hi and Low to find someone else with the same problem I have. I actually have the PN58b650. I have the same problem except the one the works for me it hdmi 3. I have had a tech come out and replace the mainboard twice now. The first time it lasted about two weeks and it happend. Now just a yesterday it happened again to me. It went about a month or so this time. It is hard for me to believe that it is a physical defect or problem. I am having the tech come out again. Please keep me posted on your situation. I will do as likewise.

Collapse -
Same problem with my LN52B750
by Dragonboy13 / January 7, 2010 4:27 PM PST

I've just ran into this problem recently. I started up my PS3 and the LN52B750 detected it (appears in the source list). However, it searches for a signal and then "no signal" message appears. Same issue on the HDMI 1, 3 and 4 except HDMI 2 (which works just fine).

I did everything from reinstalling the previous firmware to switching out HDMI Cables to trying a DVD player and so far nothing has resolved it. Only HDMI 2 works. Keep in mind that everything was running fine up until now. I've only had the LCD for 2 months and it just decides not to work all of a sudden.

I will be making a call out to samsung for warranty service. If the motherboard needs to be replaced by a technician, I hope that will fix the problem for good...

Collapse -
Samsung LN52B750U1F HDMI ports suck
by oscaroif2 / January 8, 2010 2:01 AM PST

It only took 2 and a half months to stop working. Tech came out and replaced the motherboard, but I'm waiting to see how long that 'bandaid' procedure of theirs holds out.

Collapse -
Tech just left
by bfull1478 / January 8, 2010 6:53 AM PST

Hi guys, the tech just left. He was going to try to reset a setting in the service menu under the EID. He was going to enable and disable it. The problem was that it was already disabled. So he called samsung and they had him check a few things and said they need to replace the mainboard again. WTF, needless to say I am not happy. The samsung rep seems to think one of my devices is causing the problem. I have not kept the 3 devices I have connected in any certain port or order. How can it keep causing all but one port to not work. It doesn't make any sense to me. I work with computers and hardware and I will give it the benifit of the doubt that it could cause an electrical glitch that only one port would work and the others break, but not 3 times in a row. No way!! They are telling me the same thing, to hook it to the components. Not acceptable in my book. I will keep you all posted. Thanks

Collapse -
Work around for this issue
by Dragonboy13 / January 9, 2010 3:36 PM PST
In reply to: Tech just left

This worked for me, the hard boot method. But you must unplug the HDMI sources first. I tried hard booting with the sources connected still but no luck...

1. Disconnect all HDMI sources from the inputs.
2. Unplug the power from TV/LCD for 10 minutes.
3. Plug the TV/LCD back
4. Connect the HDMI cable one device at a time.
5. Turn on the device, (ex. PS3).
6. Repeat steps 4-5 for each HDMI port.

It's working again! Weird...

Collapse -
Where I was able to find a work around...
by Dragonboy13 / January 9, 2010 3:39 PM PST
Collapse -
No Signal Samsung LN52B750U1
by blue_bullet / August 25, 2011 3:52 AM PDT

This worked for me as well. Everything is back and working normally. I was about to try to figure out how much a repair might cost and the likelihood of a recurrence. I hope this fix lasts. Sending the fix to Samsung so their techs can recommend the same procedure. They just told me to get a service call arranged. Blush

Collapse -
this helped
by josfrombelgium / January 29, 2013 7:29 AM PST

Thank you very much Dragonboy13 (hope i did not miss a previous post with the solution. I did not read the other forum)

Your solution worked for me. Because the digital receiver was the first device that did not work, I search or an error in that device. Never thought it was my tv, which was not too old: only port2 (of 4) worked. Luky for me I read this forum till your solution, and did not ask for somebody to replace the motherbod.

After an eveing work, I can go to sleep now.

Collapse -
HDMI SAMSUNG poor quality
by joelaun / January 11, 2010 5:45 AM PST
In reply to: Tech just left

I am going to give the tech one crack at the motherboard - of couse they said it would take 3 dasy for the part to come in (over a week ago) if it fails again I am going to demand a new TV because they will milk this throught the warranty and then I am stuck with a piece of junk at the end of the year. Pobably time to start post on some of the other forums so othters dont buy this stuff about how good the set is.

Collapse -
Don't buy Samsung crappy HDTVs!
by oscaroif2 / January 11, 2010 8:09 AM PST

I've posted a comment on BestBuy.com's reviews about the tv. Samsung HDTV will only last a couple months and convince the common fool that it was a great buy. It's not. With HDMI ports that last a couple months at a time (tech-visit-after-tech-visit) until the warranty expires. Samsung TVs are great to rent, not to buy, especially their large HDTVs. Way to go Samsung!

Collapse -
Poor Quality
by kokess / February 1, 2010 4:51 AM PST

It's too bad that you got stuck with a tv that was likely made on a Friday or Monday...but your bad apple shouldn't deter folks from purchasing a Samsung TV. I've got three of them...one for over twos years...one for over a year..and just purchased another one...all 120 hz..and the colour is second to none. Perhaps, it's your cable or satellite provider's box. I'm running Bell...and the pic is just too sweet. I'm so impressed, I will likely buy another.

Collapse -
OLD vs. NEW product: perhaps you should upgrade
by oscaroif2 / February 1, 2010 9:40 AM PST
In reply to: Poor Quality

Before you claim to know that it's a consumer's receiver from cable/satellite, check your knowledge and it's source. I worked for the cable industry and became a technical advisor for field supervisors. The issue is entirely within the HDTV set. Instead of making consumers call for a service tech and end up with a bill for service because the call was 'unfounded' or no fault to their provider, you should perhaps try buying a newer television set that runs the full 240hz at 1080p, not 1080i, along with all the features this specific model features. Then after you've been amazed by the splendor of this marvelous product for it's first year, come back online and tell us how many, if any service techs had to come swap out your motherboard. You're comparing your OLD product to our NEW product. Pay attention to detail, bub.

Collapse -
1080p versus 1080i
by kokess / February 3, 2010 1:08 AM PST

You seem to have some credentials in what you say...yet, the most elementary seems to stumble you.

The refresh rate of a 240 Hz and 120 Hz has nothing to do with the 1080p or 1080i format. That's a completely different animal and most providers...rogers...bell...shaw...will only provide a 1080i capability. However, you will receive 1080p when watching a blue ray movie.

As for the differences between 240 and 120 hz...well, doubling up the Hz is still depended on the provider you have...the equipment you use...and the settings. And I don't think you'll see that much of a difference with human eye. So for me, there is no need to upgrade on what I consider to be an excellent picture to begin.

Collapse -
Re: 1080 p/i
by oscaroif2 / February 3, 2010 8:35 AM PST
In reply to: 1080p versus 1080i

the referendum to 1080p/1080i and 240hz/120hz HDTVs is merely to highten the fact that slightly older HDs were not exactly made the same way as this and last year's models. When someone says they have a 120hz big screen, it almost dates the age of their HDTV model. Iam very well aware that no HD signal provider can truly satisfy our hungry eyes with 1080p resolution and 240hz refresh rates. However, it was to point out that the guy's tv is older than the model/s in question and therefore, his remarks really do not apply.
However, keen observation of yours... well noted.

Collapse -
HDMI cables
by kokess / February 4, 2010 12:55 AM PST
In reply to: Re: 1080 p/i

I'm curious on your take of HDMI cables. When I was naive...I bought some hdmi monster cables for about $180.00. I then came across an article in Popular Mechanics, who tested a variety of HDMI cables and concluded that they are all the same in generating "0s" and "1s". In other words, a HDMI cable for #12.95 is of the same quality as one purchased for $180.00. I did try switching out the cable and I could not see a difference in quality. Now some would suggest the thicker the cable the better. I will still use the article as my defense to that...but what is your take?

Collapse -
Re: HDMI Cable
by oscaroif2 / February 4, 2010 7:20 AM PST
In reply to: HDMI cables

You're right. HDMI cable is basically, a yes or no for HD audio/video connection. The quality difference many retailers swear by is simply a slightly measurable difference with the right equipment. However, the thicker cable may have but one advantage; the more you connect/disconnect a cable, the more likely the internal wires can sever off. Much like network cable; if u always un/plug the cable, the more likely the solid copper strands will break off internally. Word of advice, if u make lengthy HDMI connections, definitely use thicker to lessen data loss over the distance.

Collapse -
I also have the same issue
by evansteinman / February 1, 2010 4:33 AM PST

My HDMI ports 1 and 2 no longer receive a signal...only #3 works.
A samsung tech replaced my motherboard, and it worked for 3 weeks.
But, the problem happened again...1 and 2 are out...only 3 is working.
I called in for friday...they will swap it out again. Then, I got a call from Samsung central...They say it is a firmware issue. He is sending me a January 2010 firmware update (it is not on their website yet) thru UPS on a thumb drive (at their expense)...I will let you know if this solves it. If not, they will have to replace the entire TV.

Collapse -
HDMI
by bfull1478 / February 1, 2010 9:36 AM PST

I will be very interested to see if that works. Do you know if the firmware update will eventually be made available for everyone? Thanks

Collapse -
(NT) yes the January Firmware updates fixed the HDMI Port loss
by evansteinman / February 22, 2010 10:36 PM PST
In reply to: HDMI
Collapse -
Re: HDMI
by oscaroif2 / February 1, 2010 9:47 AM PST

Hey, this seems like it could work. So far there's no telling if the problem is firmware or hardware related. The reps on the phone don't have a clue. But I'm very interested to know if this update works as well. Once it works, assuming it will, come back on and give us all an update in a few months to see if it's still kickin. It would be a great deed for Samsung if this provides us the magic piece to our puzzle, especially once available for download.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.