Phones forum

General discussion

Nokia N95 on ATT Cingular

by ghg22 / June 8, 2007 5:19 AM PDT

Has anybody successfully used the 3G features on ATT Cingular with a Nokia N95 phone?

I want to buy the N95 but have heard that it's not compatible with ATT Cingular's 3G network.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Nokia N95 on ATT Cingular
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Nokia N95 on ATT Cingular
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
YES, the Nokia N95 works on ATT (AT & T) Networks
by usmc_guy / August 29, 2007 4:02 AM PDT

Without configuring anything, the ability to make and receive calls is no problem. However, if you want to use the features you paid for (SMS, MMS, Internet, and Push-To-Tak) its gunna take some work.

I was able to get SMS and Internet to work on mine by going to Nokia's website and using the phone settings webpage (http://www.nokiausa.com/A4410019). Now you see that they have settings for MMS, but they will need tweaking to work. But go ahead and get those too, because it will make tweaking easier.

Fortunately for you, I spent hours (across several days) looking for the right MMS settings. Piecing stuff together from several websites. Below are some settings that may help you for MMS:

Tools -> Settings-> Connection - > Access Points -> AWS MMS (or Cingular MMS, I used Cingular).

Connection Name: doesnt matter, it just helps you to know what it is.
Data Bearer: Packet Data.
Access Point Name: wap.cingular
User name (CaSe SenSiTive): WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password Prompt: No
Password (CaSe SenSiTive): CINGULAR1
Authentication: Secure
Homepage: http://mmsc.cingular.com

THEN, click the options and open the Advanced Settings:
Network Type: IPv4
Phone Ip Address: Automatic
DNS Address: Automatic
Proxy Server Address: wireless.cingular.com
Port: 80

Then you should be able to use MMS. Just make sure your phone uses the right Access point for MMS. To do that follow these Steps:

Open Messaging, and click Options -> Settings - > Multimedia Message

Now Ive not seen anywhere saying what image size to use, but keep in mind that if you select anything more than small, its going to make a bigger file (and cost you a data connection fee if you dont have an unlimited plan).

Image Size: Small (Recommended)
MMS Creation Mode: Free
Access Point in Use: Cingular MMS (Or AWS MMS if you edited that one earlier)
Multimedia retrieval: Always Automatic
Allow Anon. Msgs: Yes
Receive Adverts: No
Receive Report: No
Deny Report Sending : No
Message Validity: 1 Week

Hope this helps someone else out. It sure would have saved me a headache had someone posted something about this. And please, let me know if you need any help.

Collapse -
Nokia N95 on ATT Cingular
by ghg22 / September 2, 2007 2:29 AM PDT

Thank you for all the info.

Collapse -
N95 settings
by billydakid96 / January 1, 2008 3:26 AM PST

Hello!

I recently got an N95 but still can't connect to AT&T's MediaNet service and MMS. I followed your settings but I still get "Data Packet error: Please check connection settings" error message.

Please help!

Thanks,
Billy

Collapse -
N95-3 Settings
by deciding / January 7, 2008 6:12 AM PST
In reply to: N95 settings

Did you receive help on this yet?
Are you able to connect yet?
My N95-3 is set to dual mode, and works just fine.
Check your Network settings (Menu, Tools, Settings, Phone, Network).
See if this helps.

Collapse -
N95-3 Settings
by billydakid96 / January 15, 2008 3:16 AM PST
In reply to: N95-3 Settings

I was in Scottsdale, AZ for a business trip which is not a 3G area (according to my N95-3 phone, and was able to get an MMS from my friend. I think the problem is in the area where I'm in. My hometown (West Covina, CA) is 3G area. When I try to send MMS or browse the web thru AT&T's MEdia Net service, I can't.

Collapse -
MediaNet vs Cingular MMS
by deciding / January 15, 2008 8:59 AM PST

Rather than use MediaNet as the access point, try Cingular MMS instead. See if that works.

Collapse -
i tried both
by billydakid96 / January 23, 2008 12:15 PM PST

I tried both, MEdia Net and Cingular MMS as my access point but they both failed. Same error. Data Packet error.

Collapse -
Did anyone ever confirm whether the N95-3 works on AT&T 3G
by aazzz0 / March 1, 2009 5:56 AM PST

Did anyone ever confirm whether the N95-3 works on AT&T 3G network AND whether they can tether their laptop / notebook to browse the net? Thanks!

Collapse -
Internet Service
by usmc_guy / January 7, 2008 6:51 AM PST
In reply to: N95 settings

Did you sign up for an Internet Plan with your provider?

Collapse -
Yes, I did.
by billydakid96 / January 15, 2008 3:18 AM PST
In reply to: Internet Service

I am an AT&T MEdia Net subscriber for 3 years now. It works well on my old Nokia 7250i but when I switched to an N95-3, I'm having problems.

Collapse -
Hmmm
by usmc_guy / January 15, 2008 5:54 AM PST
In reply to: Yes, I did.

Well, its hard to say without actually being able to troubleshot it myself, or being able to replicate your problem. Do you have more info about the problem?

Collapse -
I think it's the network...
by billydakid96 / January 23, 2008 12:20 PM PST
In reply to: Hmmm

When I was in Scottsdale, AZ for a business trip, my N95-3 was able to get on the EDGE network (it showed the E<-/-> symbol instead of the antenna symbol for my reception bar). I was able to send and receive MMS and was also able to browse thru the web at that time.

In California, most especially where I live in (West Covina), we are in a 3G area (as noted by my N95-3 phone's 3G symbol instead if the antenna). I just can't get to the Internet from there. There are some parts in California where in I was able to browse (Santa Clarita, CA is one of them) thru the EDGE network.

Now, I'm here in Bonita Springs, FL for another business trip, which is not a 3G area, and I can surf the web using my N95-3 just fine using the EDGE network...

Argh... I hate it. Help!

Collapse -
THank you..
by imbebe / March 10, 2008 8:56 AM PDT

I have been searching for the settings for my imported N95 to use in US. Believe me, I had been searching for almost 10months now, called AT & T MANY MANY times, went to the independent cell phone shops, nothing works. Until I came across this forum. Thank you so much for sharing. Happy

Collapse -
No Problem
by usmc_guy / March 10, 2008 11:31 AM PDT
In reply to: THank you..

I am happy to be of help. I bought the N95 the day it Came out in the Middle East (at a High Price I might add). And there was so much I knew the phone was capable of that I couldnt figure out. I literally searched the web for weeks to gather what little info I have here. If you have any questions at all, I will try to help out.

Collapse -
nokia n95
by pniceman / October 17, 2007 1:41 PM PDT

hey ive had this nokia n95 for more than 3 months with at&t and it works great havent lost a connection yet and i travel alot , so go buy it worry free .......

Collapse -
My N95
by SlackNet / October 24, 2007 1:30 PM PDT
In reply to: nokia n95

I have yet to get 3G signal on My N95. After a call to At&T I was told that they do not support the N95 and so I can not get a 3G network connection. Any Idea's from the Masses?

Collapse -
3G SIGNAL
by usmc_guy / October 25, 2007 2:33 AM PDT
In reply to: My N95

**pniceman**

There are a few variables to think about here.

1.) Are you located in the US? If so, do you have the US Model? The US Model of the phone is N95-3, where as the overseas version are either N95-1 or N95-2.

Note: If you didnt buy it in the US, it wont work on 3G networks since the US 3G networks (AT &T) use a different frequency.

2.) If you did buy it in the US, check to make sure your carrier has 3G in your area.

If this didnt help, contact me, because I would be interested to hear your problem.

Collapse -
I think it's a US phone
by SlackNet / October 25, 2007 8:09 AM PDT
In reply to: 3G SIGNAL

Got it from Dell, not sure how to check to see if it N95-3. I upgraded the firmware to 12.0.013.

My blackjack works on 3G with my SIM card, but my Nokia will not. AT&T does not support the N95, so no help there.

Collapse -
Dell N95
by usmc_guy / October 25, 2007 2:25 PM PDT

Well they didnt start making the US version until the End of September. I do know that dell was selling an overseas version. The best thing you can do, is take out the battery and look at the product code there. Then type the code in to google. There are several webpages out there that tell what region each product code came from. If you want, just post the product code here and I can tell ya. But my guess is, you have a uk version.

I, personally, do not have the US version.... yet. I am waiting for them to sell the N95 w/ 8GB storage US version online. But the model I have is an overseas version, and in 3G areas, it doesnt get a 3g signal, except when I was over seas.

Collapse -
WAIT, please advise...
by deciding / November 23, 2007 6:24 AM PST
In reply to: Dell N95

Two questions - since you are the N95 guru:
1) How can you tell the difference between the unlocked version of N95-3 and the unlocked original N95 edition?
2) Other than size and storage capacity, what exactly is the difference between the 8Gb and 3.5.

I am in the process of purchasing and need all the help I can get.

Thanks!

Collapse -
to WAIT
by usmc_guy / November 23, 2007 6:33 AM PST
In reply to: WAIT, please advise...

The primary difference between the first N95 (N95-1) and the US Version (N95-3) are the frequencies they us. While both will work ok in the US, the N95-1 will not be capable of using 3G networks. 3G networks are the high speed mobile internet from your mobile carrier. Otherwise, on the N95-1 you will only be accessing the EDGE network. Its faster than dial up, but only by 3 fold (aprox. 115k).

Collapse -
Dell has N95-2 which is the 8GB
by deciding / November 23, 2007 6:56 AM PST
In reply to: to WAIT

Forgive me.
Is there a way to physically distinguish the difference between the original N95 and (the revised version of the original) N95-3?

If you go to Dell website, they show three N95 models.
TWO are optimized for US. Whereas, ONE is considered a US version. Nothing is determined by N95-3 or N95-2. So this confuses me about knowing the difference. According to the specs, all 3 seem the same.

and FYI:
Dell NOW carries the N95-2 which is the 8GB - they won't show this on the website, but you can ask the rep, and she'll price quote you for delivery before 12/10/07 since they sold their on hand supply of 8gb.

Collapse -
Physical Characteristics
by usmc_guy / November 23, 2007 7:17 AM PST

Well, if you had the phone, behind the battery on the back, it shows the version.

But I will assume you dont own it. And you are asking because you want to be sure that you are getting a US version (or otherwise). If you look at the post directly below this one I list several frequencies.

I looked at the 3 phones that they post on Dell's website, if you look at the Manufacturer's Product Number, 2 of them are the same, and the other is different (the black one ends with a 1).

Also, an upgrade they put on the US version (N95-3) was the upgraded memory (160mb). The N95-1 doesnt have that much (My luck I have the N95-1).

So the N95-3 IS what they are selling on the US Dell Website. So, if thats the answer you wanted, happy shoping. And if you got a extra $619, send one of those suckers my way.

Collapse -
parting words
by deciding / November 23, 2007 7:49 AM PST

(humbly)
Thank you kindly for your help! (BTW: LOVE your pic!)

Did you grab the N95-2 (8gb) ?
The young lady from Dell - was offering me a sweet deal on the 8GB, but I took the N95-3 instead - provided I can get coverage...

I might need to contact you again, if that's ok?
Best of luck to you!

Collapse -
Sure
by usmc_guy / November 23, 2007 7:56 AM PST
In reply to: parting words

Im here to help.

Collapse -
Frequencies
by usmc_guy / October 25, 2007 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: My N95

**princeman***

-----By the way here are the different frequencies on the N95-----
US N95 Frequencies:
-------------------
HSDPA 850/1900 MHz, GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

Overseas Frequencies:
-------------------
WCDMA2100 (HSDPA), EGSM900, GSM850/1800/1900 MHz (EGPRS)

HERE'S AN EXTRA NOTE------
GSM networks in North and South America operate at frequencies of 850 or 1900 MHz (Like the US Version of the Nokia N95), while most networks in other countries operate at frequencies of 900 or 1800 MHz (like the overseas version of the Nokia N95).

Collapse -
Looks like the US version
by SlackNet / October 27, 2007 2:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Frequencies

Model Number is 0548763

Collapse -
Product Code
by usmc_guy / October 27, 2007 3:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
My BlackJack works with the same SIm
by SlackNet / October 27, 2007 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Product Code

That is what I can not understand. Sim is 3G, BlackJack works with 3G, N95 will not.

Call AT&T, no luck there.

Collapse -
???
by usmc_guy / October 27, 2007 4:58 AM PDT

Im out of ideas then.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.