Phones forum

General discussion

Nokia 6260 is a such crappy fone!

by jhudson / December 14, 2004 5:57 PM PST

Don't even think of buying the new Nokia 6260. The reason that I say this is that I made the BIG mistake in buying this crappy fone on a 24 month contract and now I'm dearly paying for it.

The fone itself is just OK, it's the crappy software that lets it down. For example the menu shortcuts only work with the first nine menu icons. You can't simply press the "up" button to go directly to the bottom. So if you want to get the bottom icons it'll take about an hour to get there!

Yes, the fone does have an MP3 player, but Nokia made the BIG mistake of choosing Real Player as the fone's media player. ALL MP3s are played in mono NOT true stereo! And it's the worst sounding player ever! Yet the same songs which are on the MMC card play just fine on my old Nokia 6230 which is by far the much better fone!

Also, you can't just pick a song and start playing it. You have to create a track list, then save it, exit out of the player, open it again, reopen the track list then start playing your tunes. Also, the volume, even on maximum is so soft that if your in a loud environment, such as walking along a busy street, you can hardly hear your tunes. And that's when it does actually play the songs as most times, it'll only play a couple of songs then the Real Player crashes and you'll have to do the entire lot all over again after pulling the battery out and powering up the fone!

The fone also has bluetooth, however Nokia has taken a leaf out of Microsux's (Microsoft's) restrictive trade book by only allowing the fone to connect with genuine Nokia bluetooth headsets NOT third party units. Nokia bluetooth headsets either look like a hearing aid or the ones made of el cheapo plastic that breaks after a few uses so you'll have to buy yet another one all over again!

What Nokia has failed to realise is the multitude of anti-competitive lawsuits that have been filed against Microsux and have cost them millions of dollars over the years. I wish that the same thing happens to Nokia and their stocks plummet and no one buys any of their crappy products regardless of what they maybe!

Also, lets get to the contacts list. The user can't select for the memory fone to use, fone or sim as other Nokias can so you don't know if your erasing the phone's memory or the sims? How stupid is that!

All in all, out of 10 I'd give the fone a rating of 0.001! DON'T EVEN THINK OF BUYING THIS CRAPPY FONE EVER!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Nokia 6260 is a such crappy fone!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Nokia 6260 is a such crappy fone!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I made that mistake too.
by Kin)x(orZ / December 18, 2004 9:55 AM PST

I also made the a biggest mistake ever to get this nokia phone.

Collapse -
Nokia 6260 is a such crappy fone (Cont)
by jhudson / December 28, 2004 11:19 AM PST

Hey you guys,

I've just had the Nokia 6260's software updated with the latest version and it's still the same crappy fone, there's NO difference. The crappy MP3 player is still plays in mono, the volume is so whisper soft and it still won't connect with my Logitech bluetooth headset.

Also, there are some more reasons why this is such a a such crappy fone. The enhancements only include the Headset, Loopset and Textphone, NOT the incar kit (how stupid is that!) Note Nokia, user want the settings for the headset and the incar kits to be different! For example, I don't want the headset to auto answer, whereas I do want the in car kit to auto answer, get it?

If Nokia had any brains (which they obviously don't!) they'd read the about and previous threads and correct this crappy fone, then and only then would I recommend this fone. Until that happens (yeah right!) don't TOUCH this crappy fone! I'll stick with my Ericsson.

Jannet Hudson.

Collapse -
Further question about the crappy phone
by yonghuong / January 4, 2005 9:25 PM PST

I'm actually planning to buy nokia6260, but after reading your comment, it really makes me a cold feet. Since you have experience in this phone, do you mean that eventhough you install other mp3 player, the sound is still mono? And what do you mean that real player will crash while playing mp3? It stops automatically or program bug?
How do you think the camera feature and other? Pretty bad? I just need your advice...cause actually i love the look of this phone....but just the matter of how good the system is. Much appreciate for your advice.
Or do you recommend any other phone with similar feature?

Collapse -
real crappy phone--agreed
by kishore_sr / February 5, 2005 9:28 PM PST

after buying this phone i find many of my basic phone features missing. it doesn't show time duration while on call, no send messages confirmation for SMS messages, the real player sucks but ultra MP3 is gud. the alarm doesn't have a weekly alarm function, which i miss very much. the camera is of average quality
better buy someother good phone

Collapse -
U guys are the real crap that spoil market products
by theJokerDesign / March 16, 2005 7:36 PM PST

OK..... first of all.... u cant get to the bottom of the icons cause list is too long..... and bla bla...
Solution: Create folders man!!! u use windows right? well do u keep all your files in main c:\ directory??? - NO!!! then why would u do that on a smart phone.... make folders and put icons by category....and if u really need it u can even create subfolders... just like the normal folder tree on a pc.....

Second... u dont like Real Player.... well download another mp3 player.... i hate real too.... but ever thought of seraching for software for Symbian Series60 software on Google..... u get a huge list of website and atleast 100 different MP3 players available to download, half of them freeware..... a huge choice... symbian OS.. the one installed on all series60 nokias lets u insall all kinds of stuff man..... Personally i have installed a universal remote control that lets me control all my TVs and VCRs using phones infrared.... i even got a program that makes phone speaker emit a sound to scare mosquitos away man..... go take a look at or

3rd of all u cant choose where contacts are saved....and bla bla..... man u ever read the phone manual?!?!?!?!? all contacts a re saved using phone memory and no changes are made to simcard... if u want to back em up or manage them... i personally found the program Oxygen for symbian phones the most powerfull and userfriendly program ever.. uses bluetooth to manage contacts calender events... images... messages.... tons of stuff

4th... going on to next message with the guys headset and incar hands free problem and that he wants one to auto answer and the the otherone not to..... download and install Psiloc's ( Enchansed Profiler... can change Profiles automatically depending on what u connect to the phone and each profile can be customized with skins, backgriounds sounds and blabla bla and also what u're concerned the auto anwer mode Happy

5th.... Mr.Kishor_sr....

READ THE MANUAL BEFORE POSTING CRAP!!!! SMS confirmation depends on operator... and if enabled from phone menu u receive it in "Repotrs" in "Messaging".. wondering how to enable it? go to "Messaging" and press Options button... From list select Settings and then in Short Messages enable Receive Report

Alarm cant be set to weekly... true.... u use Calander for that normally... set an event and a title for it... assign it an alarm and u can choose daily, weekly, monthly, yearly...

Camera is VGA 3.5mm EVER READ THE TECHNICAL CARECTERISTIS BEFORE BUYING???? NO!!!! CAmera quality is not even close to a 1 MegaPixel quality.... its not meant for digital photography... its meant to take a quickshot and send the captured moment with and mms to some friend's phone so he/she can have a laugh and that the photo would look good on the phones screen

All u guys really have no idea what u have... its not about the phone... its about the symbian os..... its like windows but without all the windows bugs... it lets u install all the software u find nessesay or missing and make phone usefull for specialized needs... extremely customizable and flexible.... no other phone's software lets u do so much stuff... (except the ones tha have Windows mobile installed, but believe me... u really dont wand XP on a phone)
...and nokia... nokia just puts the good looks and longlasting battery and sells it

Collapse -
by yk8400 / May 19, 2005 4:41 PM PDT

Everyone who complains about Nokia can't do this, Nokia can't do that...Look at their new cell phone line.
Most of you will probably not be able to even afford them.
I agree with 'theJokerDesign' fully.

Individuals should research, before they talk.
If he or she doesn't, man, you guys and gals look dumb.

Collapse -
Right on!
by proteus_ed / November 9, 2005 6:29 PM PST

Those who don't care for the 6600 were more likely than not in the market for a souped-up Honda than an understated, high-line Audi. After all, those who fancy fender flairs and spinner wheels don't recognize the value of a rust-proof, aluminum body. Wink

The 6600 is plastic like the rest, and if you're looking for all the usual - speaker, browser, bluetooth, camera, video, cute tones, flips, face plates, you'll surely find faster units... you'll certainly find more intuitive interfaces... no doubt, you'll find prettier ones.

To this, I suggest reading before buying because if the above is all you really wanted, the 6600 will frustrate you. And I'll bet the 'redeeming' qualities listed below... will not.

Even for those who wish for an Operating System so they can download different programs for photo editing, music playing, computer mouse, tv remote, as well as games, ring tones and themes... Even for those that want to be able to use their phone as a modem for their laptops when WiFi is no where to be found... for those who want to be able to store MS Word files and send them as well... and those who wish make purchases from Amazon w/ the electronic wallet...

...This still may not be the device for you. Keep in mind this phone was released in late 2003. The updated model is 6620 and now 6680. The 6600 was ground-breaking when it was released and two years later, still offers more than the overwhelming majority of units at a more reasonable price... if you can find one. It's the steal of the century.

One last thing concerning memory cards. The slot on the 6600 is inconvenient to 'say' the least. A few other phones (finally) have such cards and in better spots. The 6600, however, in conjunction with the Symbian operating system allows one to download, not just files, but actual applications. Its takes an OS to fully exploit possibilites of a memory card. Currently, the 6600 is capable of carrying a 2GB memory card... more memory than most computers. So, not only is there room for multiple applications and all out movies, there are ways to obtain/make them.

Now, put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Collapse -
Nokia 6680
by Sbosh / December 19, 2005 9:24 PM PST
In reply to: Right on!

I have used this phone for a while now but I still don't know what the light on the top left is for, does anyone know what this is for ?

Collapse -
Video Calling?
by x Trooper x / December 20, 2005 2:16 AM PST
In reply to: Nokia 6680

Maybe the light is if you're video calling in a dark place or at night.

Collapse -
You are seriously out of your mind (nokia 6260 is great!!)
by bodg / January 1, 2006 8:02 AM PST

How can you say that the nokia 6260 is a crappy phone, I just fail to understand, compared to the new nseries and all it might not look that good, but when It first came out it was the best series 60 phone out.
The mp3 ont this phone isn't anything to get excited about but if you buy an mp3 application for it such as ultra mp3(recommended) it actualy sounds quite good, it doesn't stutter or sound bad, it plays it quite smoothly, however don't expect it to be as good as the one of the 6680 for example.
It might be a bit slow when you turn it on but after a while, it really isn't that bad,at least, its very managable. On the software side it isn't bad, it has quickword and quickpoint built in to the phone's software list and it has a range of try and buy applications pre-installed on the 32mb memory card which is supplied together with the phone.
This phone cannot be compared to a phone such as the nokia 6230 because it is a smartphone, therefore more powerful and can do more stuff. Although the built in mp3 isn't stereo, the radio can produce high quality stereo sound which is one of the best i've seen on a phone(its a lot better than the 6230's radio!!)
Overall I think this is a good and competetive smartphone. The complaint I heard about playing mp3s isn't true because to play an mp3, all you need to do is click on it and it plays, you don't have to create a track list.
The only thing not to like about this phone is mp3 could have been better, other than that I think its a great phone!!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.