Computer Help forum

General discussion

Noise Through Speakers ???

by redmaggott / April 8, 2004 4:57 AM PDT

I have built a new PC and when the hard drive is busy you can hear it through the speakers - it sounds like a strong wind!!Also as i move the mouse you can hear noise through the speakers.Any ideas what is causing this noise and can i do anything to stop it?The system is a 2.8 P4 , 512 DDR400 , Eagle case with 500w power supply,Hercules 9800se video card , Abit IS7 Mobo.Also the tv tuner on the video card does not work - all the drivers are installed , the video capture is fine using composite and s-video but the tuner wont work - anyone had problems with this , do i just take it back to the shop?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Noise Through Speakers ???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Noise Through Speakers ???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Noise Through Speakers ???
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 8, 2004 12:15 PM PDT

If this is a new computer that the "shop" built, then yes, I would take it back and ask them to make things work correctly. It's the least they can do if they built it.

In regards to the hard drive and mouse noise, it sounds like the power supply bus is routing sound back through the sound card . Here's a link with someone else that has the same issue:

Noises from mouse and hard drive from speakers

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Noise Through Speakers ???
by Stan Chambers / April 9, 2004 1:39 PM PDT

If you have an integrated audio chip, I would check the mfg. website for updated driver software.
If a pci card, try it in another pci slot.
I have experienced similar problems and moving the card to another slot was the solution.
Hope this helps.

Collapse -
noise through speakers
by nakuura / January 7, 2009 9:07 AM PST

If you have wireless devices like a mouse or keyboard, they can disrupt the audio signals through the air.

I had a wireless keyboard and every press of the key would make a noise through my headphones.

Collapse -
It's time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2009 9:19 AM PST
In reply to: noise through speakers

Check those dates when you reply.

Collapse -
Noise Through Speakers resolution
by VOXORGANUM / October 2, 2010 8:52 PM PDT

I had the same problem and solved it by unplugging the power supply cord and re-plugging it into another electrical outlet. Strangely, the electrical outlet I re-plugged into has a bad ground, but it is on a different electrical circuit/breaker than the former one. Now my sound is clean as a whistle. Good luck Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.